Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multi-Race Fortress  (Read 1180 times)

DrPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multi-Race Fortress
« on: May 14, 2008, 11:38:00 am »

Hey, I remember lurking here over half a year ago and reading a thread on how to mod dwarf fortress so you can buy additional dwarfs from the pet screen. I also remember that thread having information on how to make it so you can buy humans and elves. I can't seem to find this thread and I was wondering if anyone can help me find a way to start a game with Dwarves, Humans and Elves and curb immigration.
My goal is make a tri-raced fortress that has no additional dwarf immigration.

P.S. I have an idea on how to do some modding. I made it possible to purchase additional populace but I can't see to get them to stop acting as pets.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Race Fortress
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:45:00 am »

It's a very hacky way of doing things, and you can only give them a few jobs, such as hunting and fishing.  Once you've got enough intelligent pets so that you're satisfied, go back to the creature profiles and edit out the [PET] tag.  That should do it.

It is, of course, possible to create a no-immigration fortress with just dwarves.  Just breed the bearded little bastards.  I recommend cutting down their age requirement for adults, however...  Waiting twelve years for every kid can get kinda tedious, especially when you're relying on them for your workforce.

DrPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:58:00 am »

Ah, I see what you mean. They'll still have the tame tag and only seem to respond to fishing. I tried getting one to mine but dang. I wonder if there are any utilities that can modify this.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 12:11:00 pm »

Actually, yes.  There's a program caled "Dwarf Companion" that is incredibly useful for tweaking stuff, provided you know how to use it.  It has been used extensively in the story of Nist Akath, and made it possible for a titan and a goblin to join the dwarves of the fortress, among others.  They joined as full citizens, and were capable of all tasks assigned to them.

I suggest giving Captain Mayday (the author of that particular tale) a PM asking how to accomplish that with Dwarf Companion.  I also highly recommend looking for the packaged .exe version of DC, just because it makes things so much easier for setting up the application.

Actually, Mayday hasn't been around for a few days...  You may not get a very speedy reply.  There's a thread (a couple of them, actually) for Dwarf Companion in General Discussion, maybe you can learn something from there (or find someone who would know how to convert critters).

DrPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 08:03:00 pm »

I'm so close to achieving my goal. I used the above trick to start with 7 elves and 7 humans along with the 7 dwarves. So I got Dwarf Companion running and started playing around with various options. I even removed the "tame" tag using the program but they still show up on the unit list as tame but the (tame) next to their name as moved on. The next step is to get them to count as fully functional citizens. I even tried mimicking what the dwarves have in their windows when selected. If anyone knows any tricks with dwarf companion that could help me, that would be great.