Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you control creature equipment?  (Read 862 times)

Sludge

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How do you control creature equipment?
« on: May 14, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »

I asked this over on the SA dwarf fortress thread and got no answer, so I guess I'll bug everyone here with my question.

I've been trying to make a kinda animal/slave creature, Hench gnomes.  They'd be a trainable war animal, that would scavenge goblin equipment (clothing and leather armor) and weapons (daggers) to equip themselves.  

While I've been able to give them clothing, by adding the [EQUIPS] tag, but even though I added the [NARROW] tag it's all small equipment.  Also I can't figure out how to make them pick up things like weapons or out how to change their preferences what articles of clothing and levels of armor they wear.

So is what I'm trying to do even possible at this point?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: How do you control creature equipment?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 07:24:00 am »

Okay...  What I'm getting here is that you've got a pet creature for an entity of some sort, and you're trying toturn it into a slave race for the entity, doing grunt labor and possibly even serving as soldiers.

The reason the clothes are showing up as small is because the hench gnomes are smaller than the entity or whoever it is that's looking at the clothes.  [NARROW] and [STOUT] only change the clothes of creatures that would otherwise fit.

Since they are pets, they cannot equip weapons, armor, or anything else.  they cannot be put into the military, and they cannot perform any labor unless you do it through a rather hacky method (check up on the "multiracial fortress" threads), and even then it's just hauling, hunting and fishing.  And I'm not entirely sure about the hauling.

So, in essence, no.  It is not currently possible to do what you're trying to do.