Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding questions  (Read 1101 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Modding questions
« on: May 17, 2008, 03:55:00 pm »

Okay, so I had a sudden idea for a mod that could theoretically be really good. However, it would require some things to be known beforehand.

1. Can you make creatures in reactions?
2. Can you make clothes that cover the whole body?
3. Can you make walls that look invisible in air? By this I mean if a wall is next to a high open outside space(So the tile is light blue) can I make it so the wall has the same graphics as the open space? If not, what else provides support whose graphics I can change?
4. Can I change the names of workshops?
5. Can I make a building that provides power, or do I need to rely on waterwheels and windmills for that?
6. Can I make constructions that require power(Like millstones) make things other than milled goods? With different power requirements?
7. Is there any way of getting dwarves up and down without stairs or gravity? I hear flying makes dwarves paralyzed in fear, but is there a way to get them to not be afraid? Like flying up a one-tile wide tower?
8. Can I make a sessile animal that can be hauled? You know, like an animal that is basically just a hunk of meat that grows into maturity in a few weeks.
9. How do I get things to melt like ice? Unless that's hard-coded.
10. can I change the graphics of shots being fired, or will shots always be straight lines?
11. Can I make clothing resistant to fire?
12. Can I make creatures that fire shots? You know, like spines?
13. When using reactions from animal parts(Mule skull for an example), can I make it so the resulting item does not have any resemblance to the original item? (Mule bone meal instead of regular bone meal.)

Also, while this has no real use in modding, but I would like a support and cave-in clarification:
1. Do cave-ins from a single tile cause the suction effect? You know, whoever is standing near the cave-in is pulled down into the resulting pit.
2. Do supports grant support sideways?
3. If a wall is built beneath a floor tile, will it be granted support from that floor tile?

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding questions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »

Question Bajillion: Have I asked enough questions?

:p

I've only been dabbling with modding, so certainly don't take my answers as the be-all and end-all for everything.

quote:
1. Can you make creatures in reactions?

Not sure. I think it's limited to items as this point, although it would be nice to have a Frankenstein Smelter, huh?

quote:
2. Can you make clothes that cover the whole body?

Don't believe so... maybe something with Layering that takes up the entire body?

quote:
3. Can you make walls that look invisible in air? By this I mean if a wall is next to a high open outside space(So the tile is light blue) can I make it so the wall has the same graphics as the open space? If not, what else provides support whose graphics I can change?

You can certainly change the graphics of nearly everything in DF, and changing it to the open space graphic is doable (don't know the colour/character combo, though). You can't have the appearance of terrain be conditional though, I believe, so if you define the graphic that way, it's going to always be that colour (except for the hard-coded colour changes for things, like being snowed on)

quote:
4. Can I change the names of workshops?

I believe these are hard-coded for the moment. You can change the names of the professions associated with them, however, if that's a consolation - so you can rename those Armoursmiths to Fleshcrafters or something.

quote:
5. Can I make a building that provides power, or do I need to rely on waterwheels and windmills for that?

All the buildings are hard-coded into DF at this point, it seems.

quote:
6. Can I make constructions that require power(Like millstones) make things other than milled goods? With different power requirements?

See above.

quote:
7. Is there any way of getting dwarves up and down without stairs or gravity? I hear flying makes dwarves paralyzed in fear, but is there a way to get them to not be afraid? Like flying up a one-tile wide tower?

Hmmm. Not sure. Blasting them around with water pressure, perhaps?

quote:
8. Can I make a sessile animal that can be hauled? You know, like an animal that is basically just a hunk of meat that grows into maturity in a few weeks.

Perhaps using the [IMMOBILE_LAND] tag? That seems to make the creature... well, immobile on land, but I don't know if this has any conflicts with spawning or hauling.

quote:
9. How do I get things to melt like ice? Unless that's hard-coded.

By lowering the MELTING_POINT (or similar) of the material that the object's made of. I don't know whether you mean items or soil, or creatures (it's possible with creatures, sure, and I'm pretty sure you can do it with materials - which the items are then made of)

quote:
10. can I change the graphics of shots being fired, or will shots always be straight lines?

That is hard-coded, I'm afraid.

quote:
11. Can I make clothing resistant to fire?

Yep, just increase the IGNITE_POINT of the material.

quote:
12. Can I make creatures that fire shots? You know, like spines?

I believe so. A lot of natural projectile attacks are hard-coded, but I believe you could hack a way around it. For instance, allowing the creature in question to only arm itself with a particular ranged weapon built for it, and this would 'simulate' a natural ranged attack.

quote:
13. When using reactions from animal parts(Mule skull for an example), can I make it so the resulting item does not have any resemblance to the original item? (Mule bone meal instead of regular bone meal.)

I think so, but your question is kind of confusing to me.

Anyway, I hope those answers were at least mildly helpful. Do what I'm doing to get my head around Modding - browse the raw/objects folder in DF, and have a poke around this as well.

[ May 17, 2008: Message edited by: Dasleah ]

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

Thanks. This really helps.

Seems like my idea won't be possible until some things are brought out of the world of hard-codedness.

*Cringes at made-up word*

As for the last question, it was a reference to another thread where somebody made a reaction that seemed to make shells from animal parts. This resulted in some odd stuff like a mule shell. I wanted a reaction that would have to relation to the original object. So instead of a mule shell, it would just be a shell.

Perhaps if I had some things done differently...

Time to test sessile resource-granting animals!

I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 11:01:00 pm »

1. Yes, but they're weird and always act like vermin, no matter what they actually are.

2. Yes. Make a hat with LBSTEP:MAX.

4. Only by using a hex editor. It's... probably not a good idea.

12. I've tried this. You'd have to create an entity for it - only creatures that are part of their own civilization get items. Probably counterproductive.

13. Yes. Very easily.

Hopefully that helps.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 11:52:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Duke 2.0:
<STRONG>1. Can you make creatures in reactions?</STRONG>

Only vermin, or vermin-like creatures.

quote:
<STRONG>2. Can you make clothes that cover the whole body?</STRONG>

No. You can make clothes cover MOST of the body, but you will have to have a helmet, two gloves, and two boots to cover ALL of it. UBSTEP and LBSTEP only apply to [LIMB] parts.

quote:
<STRONG>3. Can you make walls that look invisible in air? By this I mean if a wall is next to a high open outside space(So the tile is light blue) can I make it so the wall has the same graphics as the open space? If not, what else provides support whose graphics I can change?</STRONG>

You can make ROCK have the same color/tile. You can have a wall have the same texture, but the rock will have to provide color for it. A support also provides, uh, support, but its tile is the letter I, and I doubt you want to change that.

quote:
<STRONG>4. Can I change the names of workshops?</STRONG>

Yes, through hex-hacking the exe. It's very limited though.

quote:
<STRONG>5. Can I make a building that provides power, or do I need to rely on waterwheels and windmills for that?</STRONG>

Building functions are completely hardcoded.

quote:
<STRONG>6. Can I make constructions that require power(Like millstones) make things other than milled goods? With different power requirements?</STRONG>

Completely hardcoded.

quote:
<STRONG>7. Is there any way of getting dwarves up and down without stairs or gravity? I hear flying makes dwarves paralyzed in fear, but is there a way to get them to not be afraid? Like flying up a one-tile wide tower?</STRONG>

Flying dwarves aren't actually afraid, it's just that they use by-land pathing to find a way to go somewhere, so if a dwarf accidentally flies up when wandering, he will be unable to path anywhere from empty space. The only reasonably reasonable way to have flying creatures path to the top of a tower is to have a secondary path open to that tower, by land.

quote:
<STRONG>8. Can I make a sessile animal that can be hauled? You know, like an animal that is basically just a hunk of meat that grows into maturity in a few weeks.</STRONG>

Even IMMOBILE_LAND aquatic creatures aren't completely immobile and crawl around slowly. If you're ok with that, however, I guess it's simple.

quote:
<STRONG>9. How do I get things to melt like ice? Unless that's hard-coded.</STRONG>

MELTING_POINT:10000 on any material you need. If you want a living thing to melt, have it be made of that material via the MATERIAL: tag.

quote:
<STRONG>10. can I change the graphics of shots being fired, or will shots always be straight lines?</STRONG>

Shots are always straight lines, but those lines are also taken from the tileset. You can change those, but I doubt you'll like the consequences.
quote:
<STRONG>11. Can I make clothing resistant to fire?</STRONG>

Yep. Make a plant with [CLOTH_IGNITE_POINT:12500] and [CLOTH_HEATDAM_POINT:12500], or add those to any existing plant, then make clothing from that plant's thread.

quote:
<STRONG>12. Can I make creatures that fire shots? You know, like spines?</STRONG>

No. Only firebreath/fireballs. You can make them a cave-dwelling entity with only ranged weapons and specific ammo though. But then they'll only appear in their caves.

quote:
<STRONG>13. When using reactions from animal parts(Mule skull for an example), can I make it so the resulting item does not have any resemblance to the original item? (Mule bone meal instead of regular bone meal.)</STRONG>

It's currently very hard to get a specific animal/plant material, because of a parser error that uses the third instead of the fourth parameter to point to the material source. You have to explicitly specify stuff you want to get, so if you want just "shell", you can have that.

quote:
<STRONG>Also, while this has no real use in modding, but I would like a support and cave-in clarification:
1. Do cave-ins from a single tile cause the suction effect? You know, whoever is standing near the cave-in is pulled down into the resulting pit.
2. Do supports grant support sideways?
3. If a wall is built beneath a floor tile, will it be granted support from that floor tile?</STRONG>

Any cave-in has the suction effect. Sometimes it is noticeable, sometimes not, it's kinda like flows.
Not sure about the supports, but last time I tested, I think they didn't.
A wall built under a floor tile...  I think it will remain where it is even if you build it off bridge over a chasm.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »

Thanks. All of this really helps.

My plan was some form of space/flying fortress. It would require a food source that didn't require fields(Sessile animals) and a way of providing support without there being a visible support. Then after thinking how that could be done, I started to think about space-specific things. Extreme temperatures, fabrication machines, jumpsuits, all kinds of things.