Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tile editing question  (Read 1712 times)

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Tile editing question
« on: May 17, 2008, 05:32:00 pm »

Could you edit tile info to make it an aquifer, but spew magma instead of water?
I want a river of fire.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tile editing question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

Perhaps with something like Dwarf Companion, but no, at this point terrain features aren't moddable I believe.

Not yet, anyway....

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »

No you can't have it spew forth lava but you can make a "river" of lava by simply using the tile editor to make lots of lava tiles. Just don't have to river connect to the edge and it won't drain.
Note: Magma seperated from a vent is supposed to cool off. I am not aware of any work arounds.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 07:12:00 am »

A question in the same vein; is there a way to change a tile to sand?

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 07:15:00 am »

Outside of using a utility (such as the aforementioned Dwarf Companion) no, I don't believe so.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 08:21:00 am »

Dasleah, I believe that point has been understood.  He's specifically asking for help on how to use a utility in order to provide the desired effect.  Also, Dwarf Companion is not fully equipped to handle tile editing, it is better off working on living creatures.

Rick's Tweak utility (which I assume is the one you're using, since I had a similar idea looking through the list of options) can indeed change a tile to sand.  It has to do with editing the goegraphic index of biome information or something, I forget what it's called exactly.  It's on the same page as the fluid info.

I haven't had much success with terrain changes, however...  I keep ending up with one very suspicious-looking tile that continually changes, and that worries me.

There's anothe method, however.  Go into the 'raw' folder, find the matgloss_stone_soil.txt, find the entry for the dominant soil type on your map, and replace the [SOIL] tag with [SOIL_SAND].  Apparently, this does not require another world generation.

As for magma rivers, I don't think it's going to be as easy as a simple aquifer switch (which I tried).  I'm sure there's a way to recreate a "magma flow" tile like the ones at the bottom of the magma pipes, but I haven't had much progress in that area.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 09:47:00 am »

Thanks. I had tried tile edit for the first time yesterday. I couldn't figure out how to turn a tile to sand. I must have missed the information page when I was looking.

Editing the raws is probably the easiest way though. I forgot about that. I really don't like embarking in areas that don't have sand.  :)

Magnusian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »

I have a question about tile edit as well:

If I make an underground pocket of water marked as subterranean will I be able to spawn tower-caps? I have a fortress on a glacier and I've run out of logs and the caravan doesn't seem to want to bring me more than 6 or 7 each year (no access to elves and humans) and would like to setup a tree farm but care of being on a glacier I have no underground water sources. At the rate things are going it's gonna be a long time before I have beds for all of my dwarves, and sleeping on ice is not something they seem to be keen on.

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 03:24:00 am »

I just used Gibbed's Dwarf Fortress Tweak to edit some stone tiles to become 7/7 Magma tiles which i want to use to get rid of unwanted items (stone mostly). But it seems that all the stone items i throw in are unaffected. Wooden items burn up, all right, but stone items won't melt.

There seem to be an option for temperature but i haven't figured that out yet. Are the temperature scales in Celsisus or Fahrenheit? And what's the difference between the first and second box?

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 04:20:00 am »

The temperature is not celsius, fahrenheit, kelvin, or rankine... it's a completely unique and seemingly arbitrary system where even really cold temperatures are bloody big numbers and 0 is way below absolute zero, oddly.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 04:30:00 am »

The scale is roughly Fahrenheit, +10000 degrees. So 50F is 10050DF.  :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 05:46:00 am »

Thanks guys. Got it working (there you go, damn microline!)   :)

EDIT: It seems that the magma cools out real quick. I have to reset the temperature regularly to make sure the garbage gets burned.

[ June 09, 2008: Message edited by: Yourself86 ]

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 07:39:00 am »

Read The Wiki
10000 degrees Dwarf is freezing point, so 50F=10018D.

quote:
Originally posted by THLawrence:
<STRONG>No you can't have it spew forth lava but you can make a "river" of lava by simply using the tile editor to make lots of lava tiles. Just don't have to river connect to the edge and it won't drain.
Note: Magma seperated from a vent is supposed to cool off. I am not aware of any work arounds.</STRONG>

Does nobody ever read the wiki? Magma NEVER cools. Well, 1/7 magma does evaporate (connected or not), and since that's slightly absurd, you could say that 1/7 magma cools. However, separation from a vent has nothing to do with this.

[ June 09, 2008: Message edited by: Savok ]

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 09:49:00 am »

Yeah, the magma can be not connected to a vent, there're a lot of natural "magma pools" which do not reach the bottom level.

And temperature is Farenheit + 9668, or Celsius*9/5 + 10000.
So 50F = 9718 and not 10050. There's a difference between 50F and 382F =).

P.S. Is that hard to look into wiki?! http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Temperature_scale

[ June 09, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository