Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice-9  (Read 1697 times)

Yrael

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Ice-9
« on: April 25, 2008, 11:54:00 am »

Having read Cat's Cradle, I had an idea for something that yields an extract that can freeze water... I'd like to know if this would work, and how effective it would be and stuff. I'd rather know what works before building a creature/plant around it.

[EXTRACT:hoenikker's elixir:3:0:0]
[EXTRACT_FIXED_TEMP:10]
[EXTRACT_SPEC_HEAT:1000]

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
  • The crazy in the corner
    • View Profile
Re: Ice-9
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 10:52:00 am »

Im not sure if it would work but I to am interested in this idea.
a few thoughts about this sort of thing.
if you put that extract as an attack would your opponent freeze instantly?
if you increased the temperature enough could you have something that would ignite things on contact?
Even the cutest things can be endearing when on fire. ~ Cajoes
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 11:30:00 am »

This thread smells like win. Let's test that soon!!!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Booken the Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 07:19:00 pm »

Think we could mod a cold breath with that?
Creature Mod:Wyrms!
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »

I'd like to know how to get the extract into the water in order to freeze it, if it's even indeed possible...
Or for that matter how your dwarves can extract it without freezing themselves.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

turboburrito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 11:08:00 pm »

It probably won't affect anything around it.

Ice nine shouldn't feel cold.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 02:41:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Yrael:
<STRONG>Having read Cat's Cradle, I had an idea for something that yields an extract that can freeze water... I'd like to know if this would work, and how effective it would be and stuff. I'd rather know what works before building a creature/plant around it.

[EXTRACT:hoenikker's elixir:3:0:0]
[EXTRACT_FIXED_TEMP:10]
[EXTRACT_SPEC_HEAT:1000]</STRONG>

Do you go to Drake highschool by any chance?
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 07:05:00 am »

You can extract something using the processing method, I don't see of a way to make the game to notice the "contact" between extracts and objects.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 10:52:00 am »

It might be possible to dump the icy contents of a barrel into water, but it might not act with the same temperature tags, even if you could assign temperature tags to plants, which I don't think you can.

Definitely worth a shot though.  I do wonder what a freezing/burning venom would do to a creature that wasn't immune...  I think I'll run a test on this.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »

Plants have temperature tags as well as any extracts made from them. For example, if you make a spider's silk a particular temperature it will freeze. If you make it so the silk evaporates at room temperature it won't actually form webs but still behave as a freezing breath weapon.

This could work assuming you can view the barrel or vial that it's stored in and designate a dump zone for it. However, the extract may not behave as you'd like it to since ambient temperature from weather is what appears to create ice and not the temperature of things around items. It's worth a try however.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 10:29:00 pm »

First, spiders are not plants.  Second, a character that emits a freezing-cold aura who jumps into water will instantly kill him/herself because the water will freeze into a block of ice around them.

Hmm...   Burning webs from a demon-spider...   Get stuck and singed.  Sounds fun.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 12:12:00 am »

I tried modding a new metal that had a very very low fixed temp. Even if dumped into a pond it would not freeze the water, so I don't think your extract will either.

but it would be neat if it did.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Booken the Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 04:09:00 am »

How about steam with a very low temperature?
Creature Mod:Wyrms!
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 11:45:00 am »

Well I think Sean might have a new creature to play with,the Giant Flaming Cave Spider  :D

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 11:53:00 am »

Well, so far as I can tell, venoms with special fixed temperatures have no effect whatsoever.  No burning or freezing things by biting them.  Auras still work though, but it's just not the same.

Next test:  creating a material that has an ignite point lower than its HEATDAM point, and then making a weapon out of it.