Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Some hypotheticals, gentlemen.  (Read 3687 times)

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some hypotheticals, gentlemen.
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 05:35:00 am »

Working on the plants right now (although I'll probably throw it in and just ask to steal Botany Mod 2  ;) ) but I'm a bit confused about [GROWDUR]. The wiki states that a Plump Helmet grows from seed to harvest in 25 game days, and they have a GROWDUR of 300. So does 1 day = 12 GROWDUR, then? So a crop that takes 60 days to mature would have a GROWDUR of 720? And would a season change destroy the plant if it didn't reach this point? (I'm guessing so)

EDIT: A plants without a GROWDUR, how do they work? Do they simply pop up at the start of a season and don't come back until the next year if they're harvested?

[ May 20, 2008: Message edited by: Dasleah ]

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 08:26:00 pm »

*looks up Paraceratherium on Wikipedia*

Ooh, pre-Quaternary Cenozoic era. Interesting concept.

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 08:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>Working on the plants right now (although I'll probably throw it in and just ask to steal Botany Mod 2   ;) ) but I'm a bit confused about [GROWDUR]. The wiki states that a Plump Helmet grows from seed to harvest in 25 game days, and they have a GROWDUR of 300. So does 1 day = 12 GROWDUR, then? So a crop that takes 60 days to mature would have a GROWDUR of 720? And would a season change destroy the plant if it didn't reach this point? (I'm guessing so)

EDIT: A plants without a GROWDUR, how do they work? Do they simply pop up at the start of a season and don't come back until the next year if they're harvested?

[ May 20, 2008: Message edited by: Dasleah ]</STRONG>

For your pre-edit question, if there isn't enough time before a season change for a plant to mature (this includes all farmed plants) it will be marked in red in the selection area. Dwarves simply will not plant anything if there isn't enough time for it to mature.

As to your post-edit question, Anything without a [GROWDUR:] will grow at a default speed, the value of which I know not.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 09:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Untelligent:
<STRONG>*looks up Paraceratherium on Wikipedia*

Ooh, pre-Quaternary Cenozoic era. Interesting concept.</STRONG>

Extra monocles for this fine fellow!

Yeah, that's generally it. Anything from 10MYA to the start of human history is fair game in my Mod (and anything either side of that timeline that complements gameplay) I'm moving Dwarves back to their pre-civilisation days, when they were on the precipice of abandoning the surface world and adapting completely to their new underground homes. So, Cavedwarves, (barely) domesticated Cave Wolves, Feral Elves, Hobgoblins and the like. Big focus on a hunter-gatherer society that's just on the edge of civilisation. And, of course, lots of things that are bigger than you (although for a Dwarf, that's not so hard, I guess)

quote:
For your pre-edit question, if there isn't enough time before a season change for a plant to mature (this includes all farmed plants) it will be marked in red in the selection area. Dwarves simply will not plant anything if there isn't enough time for it to mature.

As to your post-edit question, Anything without a [GROWDUR:] will grow at a default speed, the value of which I know not.

Thanks   :)

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 11:23:00 pm »

Seeing as the cat is out of the bag, I may as well show some progress. Here's the (very) WIP ecosystem:

+++

CREATURE COUNT:29
PREDATORS:11
PREY:18

==BIOMES==

+++++++++++
++ANIMALS++
+++++++++++

DOMESTICATED: CAVE WOLVES, AUROCH

===ARID===
Arctic Ocean
Badlands - HARE, WOLF
Glacier - MAMMOTH, HARE, WOOLLY RHINO
Mountain - HARE, HYRAX
Rocky Wasteland - HARE, HYRAX, WOLF
Sand Desert - HARE, WOLF
Tundra - MAMMOTH, CAVE LION, ELK, GIANT ELK, HARE, WOOLY RHINO, WOLF
Taiga - MAMMOTH, PYGMY MAMMOTH, CAVE BEAR, SHORT FACED BEAR, GIANT ELK, HARE, MOA, WOOLY RHINO, WILD CAVE WOLF, WOLF

---

===TEMPERATE (experience seasons) ===
Broadleaf Forest - CAVE BEAR, SHORT FACED BEAR, HARE, MOA, HORSE-APE, WILD CAVE WOLF, WOLF
Conifer Forest - MAMMOTH, PYGMY MAMMOTH, SHORT FACED BEAR, CAVE BEAR, HARE, MOA, HORSE-APE, WILD CAVE WOLF, WOLF
Grassland - MAMMOTH, PYGMY MAMMOTH, CAVE LION, SABRETOOTH CAT, CAVE BEAR, SHORT FACED BEAR, ELK, GIANT ELK, PLESSIPPUS, HARE, PYGMY DAWN HORSE, HORSE-APE, WOLF
Freshwater Lake - DUCK, TOXODON
Freshwater Marsh - SHOVEL TUSKER, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, DUCK, TOXODON
Freshwater Swamp - SHOVEL TUSKER, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, DUCK, TOXODON
Ocean
Saltwater Lake - DUCK, TOXODON
Saltwater Marsh - SHOVEL TUSKER, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, DUCK, TOXODON
Saltwater Swamp - SHOVEL TUSKER, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, DUCK, TOXODON
Savanna - MARSUPIAL LION, PLESSIPPUS, HARE, CARNIVOROUS KANGAROO, MOA, WOLF, GIANT SHORT-FACED KANGAROO
Shrubland - PYGMY MAMMOTH, SABRETOOTH CAT, HARE, CARNIVOROUS KANGAROO, HYRAX, PYGMY DAWN HORSE, MOA, WOLF, GIANT SHORT-FACED KANGAROO

---

===TROPICAL===
Dry Broadleaf Forest - MARSUPIAL LION, HARE, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, HORSE-APE, THUNDER BIRD, WOLF, LESSER SABRETOOTH CAT
Wet Broadleaf Forest - MARSUPIAL LION, HARE, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, HORSE-APE, THUNDER BIRD, WOLF, LESSER SABRETOOTH CAT
Conifer Forest - MARSUPIAL LION, HARE, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, HORSE-APE, THUNDER BIRD, WOLF, LESSER SABRETOOTH CAT
Grassland - TITANIS, SABRETOOTH CAT, HARE, LONG-NECKED ANTELOPE, PYGMY DAWN HORSE, ELEPHANT BIRD, HORSE-APE, THUNDER BIRD, WOLF
Freshwater Lake - OXBIRD, DUCK, TOXODON
Freshwater Marsh - SHOVEL TUSKER, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, DUCK, CROCODILE, TOXODON
Freshwater Swamp - SHOVEL TUSKER, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, DUCK, CROCODILE, TOXODON, LESSER SABRETOOTH TIGER
Ocean
Saltwater Lake - OXBIRD, DUCK, TOXODON
Saltwater Marsh - SHOVEL TUSKER, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, DUCK, CROCODILE, TOXODON
Saltwater Swamp - SHOVEL TUSKER, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, DUCK, CROCODILE, TOXODON, LESSER SABRETOOTH TIGER
Savanna - TITANIS, MARSUPIAL LION, SHOVEL TUSKER, HARE, CARNIVOROUS KANGAROO, LONG-NECKED ANTELOPE, ELEPHANT BIRD, THUNDER BIRD, WOLF, GIANT SHORT-FACED KANGAROO
Shrubland - TITANIS, MARSUPIAL LION, SABRETOOTH CAT, HARE, CARNIVOROUS KANGAROO, HYRAX, LONG-NECKED ANTELOPE, PYGMY DAWN HORSE, ELEPHANT BIRD, THUNDER BIRD, WOLF, GIANT SHORT-FACED KANGAROO, LESSER SABRETOOTH TIGER

+++

I need to change the name of the Plessippus, first off. And my Marshes / Swamps don't have enough diversity. And the lakes. And the Arids.

*sigh*

Here's the list of animals that I've yet to add but have waiting in the wings:

• Lake Rhino (a hippo-like rhino)
  • Running Rhino (about the size of a dog)
  • Unicorn Rhino (a massive horn, may be a Semimegabeast)
  • Long-Necked Rhino (rhino-giraffe, essentially)
  • Ground Sloth
  • Pig Sloth (a smallish Ground Sloth, semi-domesticated by early man)
  • Giant Armadillo (like Glyptodon)

Anything anyone wants to add to the list? I have a lot of 'small' herbivores and predators missing from the food chain, and a complete lack of vermin. Just thought I'd post it up here for people to pick holes in before I package it all for a release.

[ May 21, 2008: Message edited by: Dasleah ]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 12:38:00 am »

quote:
CARNIVOROUS KANGAROO

Wow...

About your questions:
1) I'm not very sure about growdur, I think I saw somewhere that 1 gd = 2 "dwarven hours" but I may be wrong here.
2) The plant survives all the "GROVDUR" even through the season changes (the only exception is only if you have cold winters and crops are planted outside - in this situation they will wither away).

[ May 21, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 01:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
<STRONG>
Wow...</STRONG>

Well, technically omnivorous, but in usual DF style, the lethality of everything is increased, so I'd still steer clear of them.

Just added Rock Wallabies, Swamp Wallabies, Diprotodon (elephant-sized Wombats), Wombats, and Marsupial Devils. A bit of a marsupial binge, it seems   :p I'm getting to the point where I'll have to load it all up and watch the error log get spammed. Thinking of moving onto reptiles soon - adding Alligators and giant Goannas.

quote:
I'm not very sure about growdur, I think I saw somewhere that 1 gd = 2 "dwarven hours" but I may be wrong here.

That makes sense, as 12 GROWDUR is one Dwarven day, so that would mean (amazingly!) that there are 24 hours in a day. Don't you love it when the numbers just all fall together?

[ May 21, 2008: Message edited by: Dasleah ]

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 02:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>As a general rule, though, is that herbivores travel in packs, whilst predators don't. Sound reasonable?</STRONG>

It might be nice to have the occasional wandering pack of trolls or drunken revelers to accost travelers.

Also, on a different note, domovoi as pets could be fun.   :p

quote:
Originally posted by Untelligent:
<STRONG>Ooh, pre-Quaternary Cenozoic era. Interesting concept.</STRONG>

Aww.  No random mythological critters, then.  :P

[ May 22, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »

Well... the prehistoric equivalents of them, anyway. Treants are now Dryads, for example. I'm not sure I'll have the ANIMALmen (tigermen, leechmen, batmen, etc) in the game, though, as the game itself is aiming for a timeline a few million years before current DF, so that leaves plenty of time for them to evolve. Maybe a few scattered packs of Ape-Tigers or Man-Leeches or something (hell, I already have Horse-Apes, which was the only term I could use to describe these things) to represent their distant ancestors first gearing towards their man-like existences.

I've only got a few Megabeasts planned thus far, first amongst them being Megalodon shark and I'm thinking of some saurian relict populations as well.

Here's the current creature list as of this morning. It's starting to fill out nicely.

DOMESTICATED: CAVE WOLVES, AUROCH

===ARID===
Arctic Ocean

Badlands - HARE, WOLF

Glacier - MAMMOTH, HARE, WOOLLY RHINO

Mountain - HARE, HYRAX

Rocky Wasteland - HARE, HYRAX, WOLF, ROCK WALLABY

Sand Desert - HARE, WOLF

Tundra - MAMMOTH, CAVE LION, ELK, GIANT ELK, HARE, WOOLY RHINO, WOLF

Taiga - MAMMOTH, PYGMY MAMMOTH, CAVE BEAR, SHORT FACED BEAR, GIANT ELK, HARE, MOA, WOOLY RHINO, WILD CAVE WOLF, WOLF, CAVE HYENA

---

===TEMPERATE (experience seasons) ===

Broadleaf Forest - CAVE BEAR, SHORT FACED BEAR, HARE, MOA, HORSE-APE, WILD CAVE WOLF, WOLF, MARSUPIAL DEVIL, KOALA, GIANT KOALA, MARSUPIAL STRIPED DOG, CAVE HYENA, WILD AUROCH, GIANT GROUND SLOTH, GROUND SLOTH, FOUR-TUSKED ELEPHANT

Conifer Forest - MAMMOTH, PYGMY MAMMOTH, SHORT FACED BEAR, CAVE BEAR, HARE, MOA, HORSE-APE, WILD CAVE WOLF, WOLF, MARSUPIAL DEVIL, MARSUPIAL STRIPED DOG, CAVE HYENA, WILD AUROCH, GIANT GROUND SLOTH, GROUND SLOTH, FOUR-TUSKED ELEPHANT

Grassland - MAMMOTH, PYGMY MAMMOTH, CAVE LION, SABRETOOTH CAT, CAVE BEAR, SHORT FACED BEAR, ELK, GIANT ELK, PLESSIPPUS, HARE, PYGMY DAWN HORSE, HORSE-APE, WOLF, WOMBAT, MARSUPIAL DEVIL, KOALA, GIANT KOALA, MARSUPIAL STRIPED DOG, WILD AUROCH, GIANT GROUND SLOTH, GROUND SLOTH, FOUR-TUSKED ELEPHANT

Freshwater Lake - DUCK, TOXODON, PLATYPUS

Freshwater Marsh - SHOVEL TUSKER, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, DUCK, TOXODON, SWAMP WALLABY, MARSUPIAL STRIPED DOG, PLATYPUS

Freshwater Swamp - SHOVEL TUSKER, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, DUCK, TOXODON, SWAMP WALLABY, MARSUPIAL STRIPED DOG, PLATYPUS

Ocean

Saltwater Lake - DUCK, TOXODON

Saltwater Marsh - SHOVEL TUSKER, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, DUCK, TOXODON, SWAMP WALLABY, MARSUPIAL STRIPED DOG

Saltwater Swamp - SHOVEL TUSKER, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, DUCK, TOXODON, SWAMP WALLABY, MARSUPIAL STRIPED DOG

Savanna - MARSUPIAL LION, PLESSIPPUS, HARE, CARNIVOROUS KANGAROO, MOA, WOLF, GIANT SHORT-FACED KANGAROO, WOMBAT, MARSUPIAL DEVIL, KOALA, GIANT KOALA, MARSUPIAL STRIPED DOG, COMMON KANGAROO, FOUR-TUSKED ELEPHANT

Shrubland - PYGMY MAMMOTH, SABRETOOTH CAT, HARE, CARNIVOROUS KANGAROO, HYRAX, PYGMY DAWN HORSE, MOA, WOLF, GIANT SHORT-FACED KANGAROO, ROCK WALLABY, SWAMP WALLABY, WOMBAT, MARSUPIAL DEVIL, KOALA, GIANT KOALA, MARSUPIAL STRIPED DOG, COMMON KANGAROO, WILD AUROCH, GIANT GROUND SLOTH, GROUND SLOTH

---

===TROPICAL===

Dry Broadleaf Forest - MARSUPIAL LION, HARE, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, HORSE-APE, THUNDER BIRD, WOLF, LESSER SABRETOOTH CAT, KOALA, GIANT KOALA, GROUND SLOTH, FOUR-TUSKED ELEPHANT

Wet Broadleaf Forest - MARSUPIAL LION, HARE, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, HORSE-APE, THUNDER BIRD, WOLF, LESSER SABRETOOTH CAT, GROUND SLOTH, FOUR-TUSKED ELEPHANT

Conifer Forest - MARSUPIAL LION, HARE, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, HORSE-APE, THUNDER BIRD, WOLF, LESSER SABRETOOTH CAT, GROUND SLOTH, FOUR-TUSKED ELEPHANT

Grassland - TITANIS, SABRETOOTH CAT, HARE, LONG-NECKED ANTELOPE, PYGMY DAWN HORSE, ELEPHANT BIRD, HORSE-APE, THUNDER BIRD, WOLF, DIPROTODON, WOMBAT, MARSUPIAL DEVIL, KOALA, GIANT KOALA, MARSUPIAL STRIPED DOG, GIANT GROUND SLOTH, GIANT ARMADILLO, GROUND SLOTH, FOUR-TUSKED ELEPHANT

Freshwater Lake - OXBIRD, DUCK, TOXODON, PLATYPUS, GIANT ARMADILLO, HERON

Freshwater Marsh - SHOVEL TUSKER, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, DUCK, CROCODILE, TOXODON, SWAMP WALLABY, DIPROTODON, MARSUPIAL STRIPED DOG, PLATYPUS, GIANT ARMADILLO, HERON

Freshwater Swamp - SHOVEL TUSKER, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, DUCK, CROCODILE, TOXODON, LESSER SABRETOOTH TIGER, SWAMP WALLABY, DIPROTODON, MARSUPIAL STRIPED DOG, PLATYPUS, GIANT ARMADILLO, HERON

Ocean

Saltwater Lake - OXBIRD, DUCK, TOXODON, HERON

Saltwater Marsh - SHOVEL TUSKER, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, DUCK, CROCODILE, TOXODON, SWAMP WALLABY, DIPROTODON, MARSUPIAL STRIPED DOG, HERON

Saltwater Swamp - SHOVEL TUSKER, MARSUPIAL TAPIR, DUCK, CROCODILE, TOXODON, LESSER SABRETOOTH TIGER, SWAMP WALLABY, DIPROTODON, MARSUPIAL STRIPED DOG, HERON

Savanna - TITANIS, MARSUPIAL LION, SHOVEL TUSKER, HARE, CARNIVOROUS KANGAROO, LONG-NECKED ANTELOPE, ELEPHANT BIRD, THUNDER BIRD, WOLF, GIANT SHORT-FACED KANGAROO, WOMBAT, MARSUPIAL DEVIL, KOALA, GIANT KOALA, MARSUPIAL STRIPED DOG, COMMON KANGAROO, FOUR-TUSKED ELEPHANT

Shrubland - TITANIS, MARSUPIAL LION, SABRETOOTH CAT, HARE, CARNIVOROUS KANGAROO, HYRAX, LONG-NECKED ANTELOPE, PYGMY DAWN HORSE, ELEPHANT BIRD, THUNDER BIRD, WOLF, GIANT SHORT-FACED KANGAROO, LESSER SABRETOOTH TIGER, SWAMP WALLABY, DIPROTODON, WOMBAT, MARSUPIAL DEVIL, KOALA, GIANT KOALA, MARSUPIAL STRIPED DOG, COMMON KANGAROO, GIANT GROUND SLOTH, GIANT ARMADILLO, GROUND SLOTH

---

Still a lot to fill out, but it's getting there. And with all the marsupials in there I just had to include a Eucalyptus tree in there. Have been distracted though - got to modding in some herbs and spices, which I'll probably spin off into a Cuisine Mod. It's... interesting now, that I can make a Platypus Meat Sorbet with Coffee and Vanilla.

And that someone will actually eat it.

Any suggestions are, of course, welcome.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 07:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>*appears*

Hardly:
Wolves come in packs.
Lions come in prides.
Wasps come in swarms.
Angry citizens come in mobs.
Orcs come in hordes.
Underpants come in pairs.

Cheerio all!
*vanishes*

[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]</STRONG>

Presumably carp come into a Genocide of carp.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 09:01:00 am »

Murder of crows, sloth of bears, gaggle of geese...

Storytelling of ravens.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2008, 09:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Murder of crows, sloth of bears, gaggle of geese...

Storytelling of ravens.</STRONG>

You mean Quoth of ravens?

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: 1 [2]