Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Undead/Viral Mod?  (Read 4484 times)

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
Undead/Viral Mod?
« on: May 18, 2008, 10:07:00 am »

I KNOW this idea has been discussed before, but is it possible to make zombies "sprout" during world generation and spread out, killing other races but keeping some? They would also attack almost constantly during Fortress Mode, which makes for some really nice zombie standoffs :eek: . Can someone make something like this?
(or at least similar.)
This is -ing good wood!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Undead/Viral Mod?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 10:57:00 am »

Not quite in the sense that you are describing, but yes.  And yes, I've been working on a small zombie modification, intended for a future succession fortress.

Development is currently on hold until the next version of DF, however.  But even then I probably won't be working on it much, since I've got another mod idea that I'm far more eager to pursue.

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »

Can you elaborate a bit?  :p
This is -ing good wood!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 02:01:00 pm »

Here's how it works:  You create a new creature called a "zombie", and you give it a few interesting attributes such as a slow speed, the ability to survive without breathing, the inability to feel pain and so on.  Then, you place that creature in settlements spread across the world with high population and high per-site density.  Give them a special tag that makes them "like" the sites of whatever creatures you want them to harass, and then set up some other things such as no weapons, king's a butcher, poisonous bites that stun, and no clothing.

So you now have a creautre that pretends to be a zombie, exists in large quantities, moves slowly, will bite during normal attacks, and that will attempt to move into an already occupied site, thus causing a massive fight between the "zombies" and the town guard.  Also, they will launch "sieges" on the player's fortress on a regular basis.

That's as close as it can get, really.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 02:17:00 pm »

Damn, Kagus.  You've REALLY given that some thought.  Does the lack of pain keep them from becoming nauseous as well, though?  Was just considering cave adapted 'zombies' but then realized it wouldn't really be an issue if they're just attacking me.  I rather like the idea, come to think of it.
Demon of Darkness

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 02:22:00 pm »

Actually, that's all implemented.  And no, [NOPAIN] does not have an effect on nausea.  [NONAUSEA] does.

They also don't bleed.  Having a zombie bleed to death seemed a bit strange, but it's kinda sad to not have as much gore.  The zombies make up for their lack of blood by spilling that of others, however.   The [NOBLEED] token has an interesting side effect; zombies can have their entrails hanging out of a horrid wound, and they won't die from it.  Every creature that can bleed would die from such an injury, but  zombies just pick up the slack and keep moving.

Lots of fun, naturally.

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 03:12:00 pm »

All that information really helped, but wouldn't the "zombie" take over the entire world, eradicating everything else? Wouldn't there also be zombie-zombies and skeletal-zombies?
This is -ing good wood!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 03:20:00 pm »

There are special tags in place that determine whether or not a creature can turn into an undead version of itself.  For wild animals, it is (presumed to be) the [NATURAL] tag.  For entites (such as humans, elves, etc.) it is the [UNDEAD_CANDIDATE] tag, which currently does nothing since undead ruins are missing from this version.

So, simply make sure that the zombies have neither tag, and you're set.

As for conquering the world, not really.  A well-equipped town guard can put up quite a fight, especially if the local weapon master happens to use a useful weapon.  And because of the way migration is handled, they won't all attack every town or village, they'll just send a small "colonizing party" to a city and get surprised by the fact that it's populated by something unfriendly.

So, in this way, the smaller towns that don't have adequate protection will get picked off and the zombies wil move in, whereas the bigger cities with their larger garrisons and stronger champions will be ale to fend off most zombie attacks.  Just as it should be.

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 03:35:00 pm »

Seeing that i virtually have no modding experience at all, someone really has to make this for me.

Also, how would you make them attack at least twice a year? I've heard something about that if you remove the [NUISANCE] tag or something, goblins will attack often.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone made this thing. It would be the best mod humans would ever witness.

This is -ing good wood!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 10:46:00 am »

I haven't fully tested it, but in theory they can launch a siege four times a year.  The tag you are referring to is [BABYSNATCHER], and it prevents them from sending babysnatchers into your fortress to, well, abduct kiddies.  Needless to say, I felt that the full-on attacks were slightly more fitting.

One of the main problems is working with the "survivors".  Most zombie themes are set in more modern environments, with the ever-present shotgun.  However, modern equipment does not really agree with DF, so it would have to still be in the middle ages.  Finding good ways of enhancing the overall atmosphere in that setting is slow going at the moment...

I could also do some things to make them not have bones or skulls.  This would make cleanup easier, since you won't have piles of bones all over the place, and would also prevent "zombie bone" items from appearing.  I'll add it in next time I think about it.

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 11:20:00 am »

Well, you could "mix" the slow, clumsy sci-fi zombies with the DF theme. Just make them a bit stronger than goblins, much slower, and siege all the time.
This is -ing good wood!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 04:57:00 pm »

burning them is the classic AD&D way of dealing with zombies...

(lol: with a creative DM this would generally lead to classig DF pyrric/pyrey victrories of villages burnt to the ground and enentually entire kingdoms turned to ashes by burning zombies.)

hacking them to pieces and then throwing the disjointed bits on a pyre usually is a better option.

You'll need fire-bolts for your crossbows. requires bitumen.

---
It would be so cool if severed limbs would turn into seperate entities.

Also a contractable zombie contagion would fit the SF-zombie theme.

---
Urist hacks the zombie in the arm with his axe.
It is severed!
The zombie lurches at Urist.
Urist is slammed into the ground.
Urist is stunned.
the severed zombie arm latches onto Urist's throat.
It is bruised!
Usist comes to.
The zombie entangles Urist with his entrails.
He misses.
Urist counterattacks by biting the severed zombie arm.
Urist feels queezy.
Urist grapples with the zombie.
It is broken in two!
Urist feels numb.
Urist is deceased.
Urist starts eating the severed zombie arm.

Urist likes dwarf brains for their shiny pinkness and nutritious alcohol content. Urist needs a brain to get throuh being dead all day.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 05:22:00 pm »

An idea: restrict the use of indoor crops, forcing the Defender's food supply to lie outside, so they can't just hole up behind some doors and are forced to at least break out and attempt a mass food-haul to survive. Altering the growing times of Plump Helmets to make them less reliable as a constant food source would be needed as well.

Plus, whilst you could set those zombies alight, you better hope they don't get close to your fields...

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 05:55:00 am »

Wait a minute, i think you guys have misunderstood. I can't mod for shit, it was only an idea!  :(
This is -ing good wood!

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 06:36:00 am »

Better start learnin' then...

If'n ya know whats good fer ya...

::ominously taps *whiffle ball bat* ::

[ May 20, 2008: Message edited by: Fleeb ]

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law
Pages: [1] 2 3 4