Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Personality Values  (Read 1312 times)

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
Personality Values
« on: April 25, 2008, 10:04:00 pm »

I would like to create my own race. I see that most of the character stuff is straightforward and I can cannibalize from other creature entries. But I would like to know of how the creature personality values work, and what they affect. Any help on this subject would be really helpful.

[PERSONALITY:ORDERLINESS:0:25:50]
   [PERSONALITY:ACTIVITY_LEVEL:0:40:100]

Also, with custom player races, do you get immigration?

Also, messing around while I am starting my learning.

quote:
[CREATURE:BATMAN]
   [NAME:Batman:Batmen:Batman]
   [TILE:'BM'][COLOR:0:0:1]
   [LARGE_ROAMING]
   [BIOME:GOTHAM_CITY][GOOD]
   [PATTERNFLIER][FLIER]
   [LIKES_FIGHTING]
   [GENPOWER:4]
   [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [LARGE_PREDATOR]
   [CAN_LEARN][CAN_SPEAK]
   [CANOPENDOORS]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:1:1]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:1]
   [PREFSTRING:Mystery]
   [PREFSTRING:WWBD?]
   [PREFSTRING:Nunununu-- Batman!]
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Personality Values
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 01:17:00 am »

The personality works this way:
[personality:name:minimum:median:maximum] values (0 is zero, it means that the creature has this trait as minimum, i.e. no pity/total pessimism/...; 100 is a maximum value) for the population. It changes the creatures... personalities. The details you see when you look at their thoughts.
Min/med/max determine the chance for each creature of this civilization to gain the value near "med" but with possible change up to "max" or down to "min".
Wiki is great.
List of traits: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Personality

There're few problems with your batman:

1) MAIN THING: you can't use 2 letters in the place of one. Try to type on your keyboard 2 letters the way that they will be placed in the place of 1 letter. I speak of TILE. Only one letter, 'BM' is wrong.
2) You don't need INTELLIGENT and CAN_SPEAK+CAN_LEARN together. INTELLIGENT has CAN_SPEAK, CAN_LEARN and CAN_CIV together.
3) Your creature doesn't have biome tags, but has LARGE_ROAMING and LARGE_PREDATOR which won't work because it won't spawn (no biome tags)
4) It has no body thus no body parts -> it cannot wear/wield items/armor/weapons. You may want to add a body.
5) There's already a batman creature in the game with exact the same tag : BATMAN. They will conflict.

If you need any answers, just ask.

Also consider to look here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Creature_tokens

P.S. Yes, you get immigrants for any playable race.

[ April 26, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 08:54:00 am »

3) Your creature doesn't have biome tags, but has LARGE_ROAMING and LARGE_PREDATOR which won't work because it won't spawn (no biome tags)
4) It has no body thus no body parts -> it cannot wear/wield items/armor/weapons. You may want to add a body.
5) There's already a batman creature in the game with exact the same tag : BATMAN. They will conflict.

Eh, thank you.

I know the biome is messed up, but it isn't supposed to be a fully working creature, it is just messing around and saying gotham city. I copied it from the existing batman, and just left the bottom half of the code...

Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 09:02:00 am »

You may get fatal errors with the Gotham city biome tag...  I'd suggest just taking it out.

You can get a creature to switch between two different tiles, but it might get annoying after a while.  The way to do this is adding the tag [ALTTILE :(tile)], and putting the desired tile in the (tile) spot.  For the creature to switch between B and M, it would look like this:

[TILE:'B'][ALTTILE:'M']

Like I said, it might get a bit annoying after a while.  Also, your preference strings might yield strange results...  You'd have dwarves who have on their profile page "likes Batmen for their WWBD?"  And "likes Batmen for their Nunununu-- Batman!"

That may or may not be intended.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 09:34:00 am »

I noted this too but I thought it was intended =).
And your biome will lead to error log and possible crash (and certainly to unavaliability of your creature).
I gave you list of all the biomes, check my post again.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 05:22:00 pm »

I am not going to use that batman, it was just for some luls.

Would this work?
[BP:RH:PickHand][CON:RLA][GRASP]

[PICK]

I would like to be able to remove [EQUIPS] and still be able to have them mine.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 06:22:00 pm »

Nope it won't.  Why do you have a problem with [EQUIPS]?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 07:08:00 pm »

Where do yo utake these tags from?  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
There's no PICK tag =).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 07:25:00 pm »

I know there isn't a pick tag, I was hoping you guys could give me an idea on how to make something like that work.

I want to make mechanical men. Slow, lumbering, highly defended, emotionless creatures that wouldn't need normal amenities. Equips don't seem like something that would be found on something like that.

Would giving them a piercing attack do the trick for mining?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 08:14:00 am »

No, there is no way to dig other than to get picks.  Its a cheap imitation, but you could just remove weapons and clothes from the entity file.  That would fix it for Fortress Mode at least.  I'm not quite sure how you perceive your Mechanical Men, but you could just rename picks to be "Digging Attachments" or whatever.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.