Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Question About Tiles  (Read 1309 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
A Question About Tiles
« on: March 29, 2008, 01:26:00 pm »

In a lot of the screenshots I see, the dwarves are smiley faces instead of dwarves.  I was wondering how this is done, it seems pretty common, almost to the point of being universal among screenshots, but my dwarves remain dwarves.
Here's an example:

Is this a tileset, or something in the raws?  Do I download it?  If so, where?  Those are some of the silliest dwarves I've seen in a long time, and I must have them.

Thanks.

Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: A Question About Tiles
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 01:32:00 pm »

It's the difference between fullscreen and windowed.  Just press F11 at some point during play and you'll see the amazing change.

I used to run fullscreen, but then I found out that windowed mode gave me a marginally better framerate...  I never went back.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 01:45:00 pm »

Aww, windowed mode is so tiny!  It's like a baby DF.
Shoes...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 05:14:00 pm »

I don't use fullscreen DF, so when you asked about that, I thought you were insane.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 07:00:00 pm »

I think it depends entirely on the font you use.

The relevant section of init.txt is [FONT:something] or [FULLFONT:something]

"something" is usually either curses_640x300.bmp (the font with the circles) or curses_800x600.bmp (the font with the dwarves).

I personally use the 800x600 font and a window size of 800x300- I like the mostly square view you get from that. But you should be able to tweak it so your favored mode uses the font you want.

edit: the fonts are in Dwarf Fortress\data\art\- you can look at them there (and change them too, I assume, if you want your dwarves to have three eyes or something)

[ March 29, 2008: Message edited by: brainfire ]

You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 07:25:00 pm »

im so used to Herrbdog / Guybrush and the DR tiles that i think of that as the standard game. i remember the ages of frustration playing on non-square tiles wishing my rooms were symetrical..