Poll

How do you use this mod?

This is how I play Dwarf Fortress!
I use pieces of it
I use it for modding examples
I don't, I was just curious
Other

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31

Author Topic: Civilization Forge Mod  (Read 78129 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Forge Mod
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 04:47:51 am »

Meh, that's not that bad. Actually there's not a lot of changes if you looked at pre-released files. Just add a few raws and you're OK. No need to redo something.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 09:05:35 am »

Hmmm...not sure how much I can actually restrict civs in what they use. It might be interesting to play around with that though. And while I'm not planning on making plump helmets unbrewable, I may make their alcohol less liked. Especially since Glowcaps are around to make such fine drinks for the well diversified farm. I'm also thinking of extending out the growing times of most of the plants. I've found that I almost never have any food worries in my forts with just a 5x5 farm for several years. And that's with one whole row devoted to the various Crystal grasses!

I'm not too worried about the changes to the raws. They seem to mostly be new tags in the Entity files. Which will be fun to play with and balance. It'll be interesting seeing how the various races actually end up interacting.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2008, 08:43:46 am »

There's an error in high elves entity.
ITEM_SWORD_SWORD

I guess it should be ITEM_SWORD_SHORT.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2008, 10:12:06 pm »

Huh. Ok, thanks! I'll get that fixed.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2008, 10:26:17 pm »

Like for Elf
-High elf
-Dark Elf
-Light Elf
-Elf
-Wood Elf
-Double Bacon Cheese Elf (ok I made this one up)
-White Elf
-Blood Elf
-Slime Elf
-Savage Elf
-Phantom Elf
-Ghost Elf
-Mummy Elf
-Celestial Elf
-Infernal Elf
-Wild Elf

Yeah, it was getting a little ridiculous.  D&D 4E changed that, squished them all back together.  You now have Eladrin (High Elves, live in the Feywild), Elves (Wood Elves, live in the material world) and Drow (Drow, Dark Elf) which are NON PLAYABLE* and were cast out of the Feywild and live in the Underdark worshiping Lolth.

* It is technically possible, as there is a small section in the back of the Monster Manual for how to play PCs of some monster races, of which Drow is one, but it is advised to GMs that these not be allowed, and if they are, then on a case by case basis (game being run, and which races).  The special powers that monster races get are more in line with the more powerful monster abilities than player race abilities.  The section mostly exists to aid the DM in creating NPCs.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2008, 10:25:04 am »

Yeah, they got pretty silly about stuff like that. I guess they just wanted more variety in special abilities and whatnot.

For this mod, I view it more like societal differences. There isn't much different between High Elves and normal elves in the creature def. It's more to do with what weapons and armor they use and their attitudes towards everything. It won't be as big a deal once Toady programs things so that the different races have truly different civilizations within themselves. But I don't expect to see that for quite some time.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2008, 03:07:31 pm »

I think I'll try to get an update out sometime this week. I've got a few minor tweaks to put in.

I'm also considering having the Chaos Dwarves have the [trAP_AVOID] flag. Makes sense, I think, since they know your tricks and would be able to spot them. And it'll help balance things out, since right now they're a pretty nice enemy to have since you can use everything they drop. Makes things a little too easy.

Right now, I think the order for enemies (easiest to hardest) is:
Bugbears
Chaos Dwarves
Goblins
Hobgoblins
Sand Raiders
Violet Xelics
Frost Giants
Dyansauri

Does that seem right to people? Any other tweaks to the races you'd like to see?

Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2008, 07:21:19 pm »

Minor bump, I guess.

I'm currently moving everything over to the new version of DF. Hopefully it won't take me too long to test out how well everything works with the new world gen war system in place.

So far, it looks ok. Although the Frost Giants and Vamarii are remarkable quiet. Probably because they have somewhat similar religions and neither wants to live anywhere warmer. And no one wants to live in a frozen wasteland. Go figure. I'll probably have to make them at least tolerate areas like mountains and forests to get them involved with the rest of the world. And probably give a few races like the Dwarves and Chaos dwarves an interest in living in cold places.

Once I get all that tested and in place, we should be good to go. I'm pretty busy right now, though, so I'm not sure exactly how soon I'll get all that done.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2008, 10:42:53 am »

Ok, new version for the 39+ series is up!

I mucked with the raws a bit, and made a few changes in the mineral/reactions area, so previous saves aren't going to work, sorry.

But this version is lots of fun during world gen!

Let me know if you find any problems.
Come play Mafia with us!

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2008, 04:44:00 pm »

I'm interested in how the frost giants are working. Are they still being quiet? I definitely like the idea of more traditional norse mythological civs. Giants and Trolls would be awesome in adventure and siege mode as well for lots of reasons.

I'm gonna get this and probably muck about with your civs a bit to make a more norse world. IE High Elves = Vanir, get one size larger and a huge damblock, see how it goes from there.

Anyway, thanks for doing so much work and keeping this updated, most of it sounds fun.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2008, 04:53:50 pm »

Well, the Frost Giants and Vamarii get involved a BIT more now. But wars seem to have a lot to do with proximity, so Frost Giants just don't go near other civs often enough to be major players. At least, not on most of my worlds. Every once in a while though you get another civ near them, and they interact a lot more.

A lot of it seems to rely on luck, really. But I get very interesting histories all around. Oh, and the multiple races means that you can get several different snatchers and thieves from different civs hit your fortress at once. Pretty fun!

Oh, and watch out for Chaos Dwarves. They have trap-avoid, now, so you'll need a military to handle them.

Frost Giants, Dyansauri, and Hobgoblins are a little less fun, now, though. Unless your civ happens to start at war with them, they're just a neutral civ that'll send in the occasional caravan. Which makes me sad, but all that should change whenever Toady starts to integrate the world level wars with Fortress Mode.
Come play Mafia with us!

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2008, 10:51:56 pm »

I don't know what it is, but none of the races I have can beat those sand raiders you've made.  Mother fuckers are hardcore, if the legends mode history is to be believed.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2008, 11:08:54 pm »

That's funny, in my world's they're usually squashed, with maybe one of their kingdoms left active after a few hundred years. I find High Elves to be the most successful race, in general. Just goes to show that there is a lot of variability in the world gen!

And for a Race of warriors, my Frost Giants are entirely too peaceful with everyone. I'll figure out how to get them to be more aggressive at some point. Somehow.
Come play Mafia with us!

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2008, 11:53:08 pm »

Well, for the frost giants, you could take away their ability to speak. that seems to be the only current way of making a civ more prone to fighting everyone else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2008, 11:55:53 pm »

That would be a little too odd, I think.

Ah, well, I'll figure something out. Maybe a few changes to their Spheres will do it.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31