Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's in a Name?  (Read 913 times)

Fenrir

What's in a Name?
« on: February 02, 2008, 09:17:00 pm »

How would someone go about naming original fictional creatures? I imagine a process similar to the one used for language could be used, if only I knew how Toady came up with those languages.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: What's in a Name?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 02:05:00 pm »

I have been having this problem to. I don't think there is a general solution but you could try descriptive names.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 02:11:00 pm »

Globlob......a slime goblin hybrid looking thing. Well thats how good my nameskills are :)
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »

There's got to be some way to randomize them. Maybe I could write a program that reads a file full of syllables and letters, then randomly tacks them together.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

Or you could take some dice and write letters on them, or put little pieces of paper whit syllables on them in a hat then stick you hand down whit your eyes closed.
Seems much simpler than a custom program.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fenrir

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 04:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>Or you could take some dice and write letters on them, or put little pieces of paper whit syllables on them in a hat then stick you hand down whit your eyes closed.
Seems much simpler than a custom program.</STRONG>

Yeah, but I need some programming practise anyway, and it wouldn't be that difficult. I'm writing the code this very moment.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 08:47:00 pm »

Also keep in mind each language has different sounds that are used more.  If you could make the RND choose certain letter combinations, and give those a higher chance of appearing in a word, that would be good.  Also, words that are used more often are shorter, generally.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.