Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Explosives  (Read 2692 times)

mport2004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Explosives
« on: December 27, 2007, 10:42:00 pm »

is there any way to make explosives or something of the sort
could this be done with makeing an item VERY hot or somthing else?

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
Re: Explosives
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 10:44:00 pm »

You could make a trap component that deals fire damage. Then litter the ground around it with bituminous coal. If the trap kills the creature, the burning critter will light up the coal.

EDIT:

[ITEM_TRAPCOMP:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_FLAMETHROWER]
[NAME:flamethrower:flamethrowers]
[ADJECTIVE:dwarven]
[DAMAGE:10:HEAT]
[WEIGHT:250]
[HITS:20]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:5]
[METAL]

[ December 27, 2007: Message edited by: Hague ]

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 11:39:00 pm »

supposedly booze will explode if it lights on fire. I've never seen it happen myself, but then I rarely have problems with fiery death or anything. So a flamethrower trap plus a booze stockpile might work.

I suppose you might be able to mod a material to have a burning temp that is hotter then inside the cave, then make barrels out of it and use them for brewing. When enemies come, drop the barrels out onto them and hopefully they light on fire and explode. This will, of course, only work on maps that are not frozen all the time.

It might be possible to just make a material with a very high fixed temp, then drop it into a booze stockpile and have it explode. I did a bit of testing with this and I could not get it to work, but I didn't try real hard.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 04:30:00 am »

Make a weapon that deals fire damage, and make a material that instantly explodes (boils) when heated. Make the said weapon out of said material. Once the weapon hits the enemy, the released heat will make the weapon explode. If the weapon is a bolt, you got your rocket launcher.  :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 04:31:00 pm »

Remember the dwarven rate of fire.  It would probably be more like the autocannon loaded with explosive rounds from x-com.

Sorry bout the obscure reference but I find that to be the closest thing I can think of.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

mport2004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 06:33:00 pm »

x-com autos dont fire quite that fast  :)
also thanks for the help ill try to see if i can get it to work

Fenrir

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 02:28:00 pm »

This didn't work for me. I set the boiling point of a metal to freezing and then kept adding temp until it stopped boiling away the instant I spawned, and made bolts do HEAT damage, but no dice.

[ January 01, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Hesitris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 07:28:00 pm »

Try replacing it with BURN damage, though I'm not expecting much from that either. As I posted in the thread about the 'temperature' damage types, it seems like the HEAT and BURN damage types are identical, in that they generate nasty damage messages (in Adventure mode) but don't actually catch anything on fire.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 07:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hesitris:
<STRONG>Try replacing it with BURN damage, though I'm not expecting much from that either. As I posted in the thread about the 'temperature' damage types, it seems like the HEAT and BURN damage types are identical, in that they generate nasty damage messages (in Adventure mode) but don't actually catch anything on fire.</STRONG>

Heat does light things on fire.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 02:14:00 am »

The only thing I could think to do would be to make the bolts themselves have a high temp setting.  However, that would mean the bolts made from that material would instantly vaporize as the kill themselves.

Hey, what would happen if you did that to the launcher instead?  It's still probably be set alight while you were holding it, but it's worth a try.

For, if nothing else, the death message.

Fenrir

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 11:13:00 am »

Are crossbow bolts destroyed on impact if they don't get stuck?

Sector 7

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 11:03:00 pm »

I'm not entirely familiar with DF's engine capabilities, so bear with me - but would it be possible to make an explosive, when detonated, destroy or blow back everything within a radius around? Rock walls could be turned to rubble and dwarves would be thrown back and wounded much in the same manner that the colossus throws dwarves.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 03:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sector 7:
<STRONG>I'm not entirely familiar with DF's engine capabilities, so bear with me - but would it be possible to make an explosive, when detonated, destroy or blow back everything within a radius around? Rock walls could be turned to rubble and dwarves would be thrown back and wounded much in the same manner that the colossus throws dwarves.</STRONG>

Not with anything we can currently mod, no.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 07:11:00 am »

Toady One should really include explosives when he gets to doing alchemical formulas and whatnot.

These days we're building things out of soap. Imagine building them out of gunpowder.

iantspider stands before you!
Giantspider...killed Yourlast Adventurer
Giantspider...killed Yo Momma

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 07:48:00 am »

Booze stockpile + magma generator a few floors up.

Drop a single 7 of magma on the booze when the invaders show up and watch the carnage.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE
Pages: [1] 2