Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Explosives  (Read 2691 times)

Fenrir

Re: Explosives
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »

Has anyone managed to make something that explodes?!

ANYBODY?!

If only we knew the secret and mystic properties of booze!

[ January 01, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 02:51:00 pm »

problem with boozebombs are the boozers

they will be missed

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Fenrir

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 02:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Red Jackard:
<STRONG>problem with boozebombs are the boozers

they will be missed</STRONG>

Seriously, man. I don't want to have to generate six more worlds and create  two dozen adventurers only to figure out that it's not possible!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »

So far my experiments with ignite and boiling temps on a creature result in crashes whenever they would blow up.  I'm pretty sure booze explodes when lit but no clue how to make anything else do the same.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Fenrir

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 03:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Greiger:
<STRONG>So far my experiments with ignite and boiling temps on a creature result in crashes whenever they would blow up.  I'm pretty sure booze explodes when lit but no clue how to make anything else do the same.</STRONG>

What temperatures are you using?

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 11:35:00 am »

Seems booze does NOT explode, Seems the magma lights the barrels on fire the the booze boils not blows up so....
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 12:27:00 pm »

Ignite point was 10100 boiling point 10101. After awhile I decided to set a fixed temp as well to 10090 which didn't help much.  It crashed when I burned them in adventure mode usually.  Sometimes it wouldn't do anything and they'd just die outright couldn't figure out the differences that caused them to just die or crash.

I scrapped the mini-project though, it wasn't working and the creature was a little more thrown together than my other stuff. Didn't feel like cleaning it up.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »

Remove the fixed temp and set ignite point to 10.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 07:59:00 pm »

I'm trying to come up with a way to implement an explosive material and I've hit a few tough questions:

1.  Does a burning object generate heat?  So can I set dwarves alight by making them carry objects with a room temperature ignition point?  If so, how much heat does fire generate?

2.  If a burning object boils, is it still aflame in gaseous form (before it fully dissipates, anyway)?

3.  If A contacts B and B is burning, will B ignite A regardless of their relative ignition temperatures?

4.  I know creatures affect the temperature of a tile, but someone made the claim recently that other objects do not.  True?  False?  What about flooring?  If I build a floor from "firestone" (FIXED_TEMP 10500), will other objects in the tile feel the heat?

Bomb trap implementation concept, assuming the answers to the above are favorable:  Create a material that ignites at a low temperature (perhaps 10100, which could easily ignite outdoors on Hot or Scorching maps) then set the boiling point just above that (maybe 10105).  Place an ignition object, like a pressure plate made from "hotstone" (FIXED_TEMP 10150).  Rig a garbage chute/floor hatch system above the plate that can drop things made from your explosive material onto the pressure plate (or other ignition device).

The first three answers pretty much determine whether this is feasible at all.  The fourth determines whether my proposed implementation would work at all.

Fenrir

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 08:32:00 pm »

I don't know who started these rumors, but booze doesn't explode. Nothing explodes. I had an accident with some magma that reached my booze stockpile and the booze just boiled away.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 08:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mport2004:
<STRONG>x-com autos dont fire quite that fast   :)</STRONG>

But autocannons in MechWarrior 2 do!  You have to be very light on the trigger to avoid firing 4-10 shots at once (remembers wasting all AC20 ammo on a Panther,  :p).

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 09:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>I don't know who started these rumors, but booze doesn't explode. Nothing explodes. I had an accident with some magma that reached my booze stockpile and the booze just boiled away.</STRONG>

but, there are screenshots and movies and things.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 03:00:00 am »

That's the whole point. Booze BOILS. But, it boils not at the temperature it usually boils, but at the temperature that's transferred to it - that of the burning barrel. Also, there's usually some 20-ish units of booze per barrel, emitting a gigantic cloud of overheated vapor that can very much classify as an explosion, especially since it can set other barrels full of booze on fire...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 [2]