Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gfx set problems  (Read 1431 times)

d4nte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gfx set problems
« on: December 28, 2007, 07:55:00 pm »

Trying to install Sphr's gfx set (bmp converted and renamed to "dwarves.bmp", have installed in raw folder and created corresponding txt file.

Init file is as below, but just get "Mode switched failed, switching to windowed mode" followed by a black screen:-

Full screen info.

[FULLSCREENX:1280]
[FULLSCREENY:400]
[FULLFONT:curses_square_16x16.bmp]

[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:400]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:dwarves.bmp]
[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]

any advice?? wiki was of little help (or I'm just dumb) :-(

[ January 01, 2008: Message edited by: d4nte ]

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
Re: Gfx set problems
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 09:39:00 pm »

Ok, there's two problems there. The first is that the graphics set is supplied in PNG format. You have to convert it to BMP first. (Note that this is different to simply rename the file to .bmp) Any graphics editing program should be able to do this for you.

Secondly, the [GRAPHICS_FULLFONT] tag refers to the font you're using, not the actual graphics set itself. In this case, the tag should read [GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:curses_square_16x16.bmp] (I assume that's the font you want to use, since that's what you've got in the non-graphics section.) The graphics set will automatically be used if you [GRAPHICS:YES] set. The graphics set requires an accompanying text file in order to work, which should be placed in your /raw/graphics/ folder. For Sphr's graphics set, you can copy and paste the information from here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Image:Sphr_dwarves.png#Text_Data

Hope that helps.

d4nte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 11:28:00 pm »

I have already copied and created the txt file for the gfx set and it is in the correct folder.

I have also tried running DF with the following init file (including change to graphics_fullfont as suggested above.

[GRAPHICS:YES]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:400]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:curses_square_16x16.bmp]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:800]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:curses_square_16x16.bmp]
[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]

Still getting same error message which leadds to windowed mode. Do I have correct x/y dimensions for this set?

Anything else I can try?

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 11:40:00 pm »

did you try fullscreen 1280x1024?

800x600 fullscreen normally works

although it stretches square fonts

[ December 31, 2007: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 01:16:00 am »

do you have dual monitor or some other non conventional setup?  I'm not sure what version of openGL toady uses, but older ones may not have the extensions that deals with multiple monitors and virtual desktop and stuff.

EDIT:
btw, unless you want stretched non-square fonts, or is concerned with performance issue, I don't really find a strong reason to run in full screen mode.  at 1280x400, it occuplies around half the screen.  I leave desktop accessible in the lower screen to run utilities like foreman.exe, and my own utilities to do things like list out wounded dwarves (deadly sparring) and list out unhappy dwarves.  On my second monitor, I let the browser occupy the whole screen so that I have intsant access to dwarfwiki as well as can read forums while I'm playing when there is nothing interesting going on in the game.  atm, "full screen mode" will make all this impossible... just fyi.

[ January 01, 2008: Message edited by: sphr ]

d4nte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 02:11:00 am »

Thanks for the info - both 1280*1024 and 800*600 work just fine (I'm using the 800*600 for comfort).

Gfx set looks great btw.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 02:22:00 am »

personally i run it windowed at 1280x970 so the game looks maximized
My dwarves are not your dwarves.