Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: FORGOTTEN REALMS: Legends of Faerūn (0.0.9a alpha)  (Read 20098 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: FORGOTTEN REALMS: Legends of Faerūn (0.0.9a alpha)
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2008, 05:16:00 am »

Yay, I've found the book "I, Tyrant" which contains everything about the beholders =). Now their anatomy is as close to original as it could be.

I've updated the mod with new creatures. The only problem is that it looks like 38c caves are less dwelled => I meet new cave creatures not too often. But it looks ok for 127x127 map.

Also I decreased the number of pop/civs for each entity to let them all spawn on map.

I'm gonna publish the 1st beta release soon, with all missing graphics and creature/entity balancing.

For now avatars seem to be unkillable (as they should be I guess). I managed to kill 1 by throwing rocks at it during 30 min or so realtime, being a legendary ambusher/thrower... They may need some fix to be the objects of quests, for now they are just GODS =).

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2008, 06:27:00 am »

Whats a DnD based mod without ancient ruins left behind by some all mighty race that died out? I am going to make a race called Ancients that will live for 500 years or so. But they will not have any children,and live in ruins. That way there will be a number of ruins scatterd here and there with ancient weapons(custom made so even tho they have bad quality they still are stronger then standard stuff).
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2008, 06:43:00 am »

Actually I wanted to make lizardfolk first.

The Faerūn should have Ancients which are lizardfolk-based and live in another plane/ancient ruins, I've read about them in book and saw in NWN game.

If you could make them, you're welcome! Just adjust religion spheres to have some evil avatars please =).

Also the army arc is coming, which will bring a lot of rebuilding for the mod I guess, but it'll bring the ruins along with other cool features back too.

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2008, 06:47:00 am »

Well the lizard folks are still alive in the world. But I wanted to make a race just to add random ruins with loot.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2008, 06:49:00 am »

You can't make a race that has a maximum age and does not produce children.  Worldgen will just spit them out.

What you can do, is make a custom race to inhabit the ruins.  Make them immortal (undead if you like), and have no children.  Set their basic name to whatever race you want the ruins to be from, and then add in

[SPECNAME:MALE:(name of male creature):(plural):(possessive)]
[SPECNAME:FEMALE:(name of female creature):(plural):(possessive)]

This will cause the ruins to be named after the basic name, but all the creatures that inhabit that place will have different names.  For example:

Basic name:  Bill:Bills:Billy
Specname male: Ted:Teds:Teddy
Specname female: Orangutan:Orangutans:Orangutan

You will get a Billy ruin that is inhabited by Teds and Orangutans.  

I recommend you prevent them from breeding, as 1) you'll end up with child aspects of the race, which may not be all that suitable and 2) ruins have a funky placement system.  They tend to bundle up.

EDIT:  !@$^$#?* smileys!

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2008, 07:11:00 am »

Hmmm how about making their max age 10. And change the baby age to 10. That way th parents will die out and leave the baby“s left that hopefully dies.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2008, 07:42:00 am »

quote:
Well the lizard folks are still alive in the world

I told about Sarrukh, creators of  yuan-ti, naga, lizardfolk, and scalykind. There were 4 more creator races, you can make some of those 4, but now I can't find a rulebook with them.

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2008, 07:45:00 am »

Actually there were just 5 creator races: sarrukh , the batrachi, the aearee, the fey and humans.

It is not clear exactly how dragons came to inhabit Abeir-Toril, so I don't count them as one of the cerator races. They could come from any other one of the realms.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2008, 10:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
<STRONG>
I told about Sarrukh, creators of  yuan-ti, naga, lizardfolk, and scalykind. There were 4 more creator races, you can make some of those 4, but now I can't find a rulebook with them.

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]</STRONG>

Yeah those are alive...not many tho. You meet them in NWN.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2008, 06:42:00 pm »

quote:
Hmmm how about making their max age 10. And change the baby age to 10. That way th parents will die out and leave the baby“s left that hopefully dies.

I don't think the worldgen counts the parentless baby as dead... It's just a rough simulator which operates few variables.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2008, 08:28:00 am »

Well then I have to skip the Ancient people then.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2008, 04:06:00 pm »

The new verion is soon, and it has ruins. I guess we should wait to look how it works there.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2008, 09:41:00 pm »

Y'know, I hate to rain on anybody's parade here, but half the creatures/monsters/races/etc in this mod are not covered by the OGL and/or are "Product Identity" (i.e. 'core property') of WotC.

'Product Identity' creatures:
beholder
gauth
carrion crawler
displacer beast
kuo-toa
githyanki
githzerai
slaad
umber hulk
yuan-ti
illithids/mind flayers
all of the named gods in the pantheon but not necessarily their features/portfolios
The NAME "Baatezu" and the NAME "Tanar'ri" but NOT the subclasses of creatures they represent (Devils and Demons, respectively) are Product Identity

Not covered by OGL license:
anything from WotC books which does NOT have a yellow/orange background on the text, and anything from WotC or TSR books which is NOT also listed in the SRD. Also ANYTHING from most 3rd party books.

Also, afaik ALL of the monsters in the later WotC books such as the ash rat are  at least NOT released under the OGL (with a few exceptions highlighted in yellow/orange in those books).

Hence, what you guys are doing is very much susceptible to a nasty cease-and-desist letter from WotC lawyers.

If you want a good list of stuff you're ALMOST free to do whatever you want with, look for the DnD 3.5 SRD document. Also search for other OGL content online, a great place to look is http://www.d20srd.org/
The D20 Modern MSRD is fine too, but has less useful stuff for a fantasy game like DF: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd
But remember, using any OGL content requires some slightly irritating stuff like displaying the OGL (and d20, which is irrelevant here) licenses before the game can start (though adding this in an installer probably covers that base).
See: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/oglfaq/20040123f

Also: You can avoid product identity by using other creature variants from alternate sources (you're susceptible to THEIR licenses though) such as floating eyes (and floating-eye-kin), psionic tentacle beasts, half-nagas/half-snake-people, fish-men, etc.

Just letting you know.
P.S. It MIGHT be a good idea to remove all 'violating' content from this thread entirely, to prevent any sort of legal action against the forum itself. I'm personally not going to report this stuff to anyone, but you never know when someone else might.
Of course, I could be wrong about that, but I'm still fairly sure that WotC frowns upon unlicensed use of their property.

LN

[ March 10, 2008: Message edited by: Lord Nightmare ]

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2008, 01:56:00 am »

After reading the legal stuff there it just seems like we need a link to the OGL stuff somewhere. So put a text file with a link in the zip or somthing.

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2008, 02:42:00 am »

Yeah but I seemed to have missed the point in the above post that using "product identity" stuff without a special license from WotC is expressly forbidden.

SRD and MSRD stuff is fine, as long as you include the OGL.

Non-OGL stuff from books and anything from books which is "Product Identity" is against the license and is asking for C&D if they ever discover this thread.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8