Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: prof. names and babysnatchers  (Read 554 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
prof. names and babysnatchers
« on: February 19, 2008, 11:29:00 am »

As long as I started modding and don't want to flood the forum I want to start a small thread where I will ask my questions, and you will answer when you want.
Thank you for your answers in advance.

My first two questions:

1) How can I rename basic professions for a specified creature/civ?
I'd like to change lasher -> slavedriver, wrestler -> devourer and peasant -> drone, but for some reason ***_NAME is not working. I could rename spearman to guard, but with those three they stay as they were. Can I rename only those which end on "-man"? Is there a way to mod other professions' names?

2) Babysnatcher. If I have this tag, should I make a special creature "thief" and link it to civilization someway, or will they spawn the thief of their race with DEFAULT graphics (graphics on)?

[ February 19, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: prof. names and babysnatchers
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 11:36:00 am »

1) The professions you are trying to change cannot be changed.  Only the professions that have "*man" in them, such as fisherman and craftsman can be changed.  This is because a Dwarven craftsman is a craftsdwarf, but a Dwarven wrestled is still a wrestler.

Kind of a pain, I know.  But at least you've got a lot of other professions to work with.

2) The race will spawn a "snatcher" profession creature if it has the "babysnatcher" tag.  It will also siege your fortress, since this is the tag that determines the goblin sieging/ambushing behaviour.  No new creature is needed.

If you just want a thief who'll take items, give them the tag [ITEM_THIEF] instead.  I think that works on its own.

Also, I made a modding question thread a while back.  A few things answered in there, and quite a few asked.  If it gets more attention, more of the experienced modders might drop by and actually answer some of the buildup.
http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000354

It was originally intended to be a personal question thread, but it might as well be a community modding question thread.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 11:41:00 am »

Thank you, I'd better bump the old one than and rename this to stop the further spread -).

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 11:54:00 am »

Are you people sure the [BABYSNATCHER] tag still has those effects? I remember Toady saying there're no more underlying implied effects associated with BABYSNATCHER and similar tags.

I'll go ahead and experiment with taking the snatcher tag out of goblins, and sticking ambusher and sieger in. Will be a rather long experiment, yeah...

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 11:58:00 am »

Tweaking the progress activity or whatever they're called numbers down should help.  You might get a siege or snatchers in the first spring, but at least you'll figure out what's up.

If only the newest version had updated memory.ini settings...  Then you could start a fort with eighty Dwarves, and qualify for a siege from the git-go.