Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: G-rated no killing  (Read 45137 times)

Broken Bolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
G-rated no killing
« on: January 19, 2008, 10:51:00 am »

My 4 year old is fascinated with this game because he sees me playing, but his mother and I don't want to expose him to things like sieges.

Has any one altered the game so it's only about building?

Any advice for a relatively easy way to do that?

or, barring those, does anyone know of a roughly similar game without the battle components?  

thnx

igrants have arrived from El Paso.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
Re: G-rated no killing
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 11:12:00 am »

Well, it's possible to disable invaders/sieges in the option file, but dwarves die pretty easily even without them...
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Fenrir

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 11:13:00 am »

How can the kid play this game? I'd wager he can't read at the level this game requires, let alone use the UI and surive the artifact learning curve that is encrusted with difficulty, encircled with bands of confusion, and menaces with spikes of turtle shell!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 11:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Broken Bolt:
<STRONG>My 4 year old is fascinated with this game because he sees me playing, but his mother and I don't want to expose him to things like sieges.

Has any one altered the game so it's only about building?

Any advice for a relatively easy way to do that?

or, barring those, does anyone know of a roughly similar game without the battle components?  

thnx</STRONG>

I think the game could be changed to be more friendly. If you removed the goblin and kobold entities you wouldn't have sieges, babysnatchers or thieves. If you got rid of animals you wouldn't have to worry about dwarves hunting. If you gave dwarves the no emotion token they wouldn't go berserk and fight eachother (just a guess). You could also get rid of hunger and thirst so you don't have to worry about dwarves dying.

I don't think you could make dwarves accident proof, though. You'd still have a chance of dwarves getting killed. Also if you happen upon a demon pit there might be some disturbing images in there. You could get rid of the demons though. You could use a tool from the wiki to check if there are demon pits before embark.

[ January 19, 2008: Message edited by: Wiles ]

Fenrir

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 11:31:00 am »

Well, if you manage to get your four year old playing this game, I recommend you go through the language files first, there are some nasty words in there.

Broken Bolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 11:47:00 am »

Thanks for the tips, y'all.

quote:
How can the kid play this game? I'd wager he can't read at the level this game requires, let alone use the UI and surive the artifact learning curve that is encrusted with difficulty, encircled with bands of confusion, and menaces with spikes of turtle shell!

I agree with you but he's done little but talk about dwarfs the last few days.
He's my first kid so I am not an expert parent, still it's silly to limit his experiences based on my estimation of his mental capacity.

He wants to play it so I'll try to make it available in a safe manner.

Thanks again for the tips, I'll have at it and to satisfy curiosity post his reactions, if any.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 11:54:00 am »

Find a dwarf mod for The Sims 2.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 12:10:00 pm »

Com on, is ASCII, let the kid play, it won't ham him. there is no evidence games makes peaple more violent despite several studies being done. Even if you could remove violence the resulting game wouldn't be a fraction as awesome, and if you don't let him at least TRY this awesomeness then you are a MEAN BASTARD hos shouldn't be allowed to have kids.  :mad:
And if this does not convince you, then please at least tell him this message so he know he has sympathizers, and tell him also that it was me who said it and the implications of my name.
And you, son of broken bolt, should NEVER EVER stop fighting to play this game, this game will make everything else in your life a meaningless dream in comparison. And if  your parents are EVIL enough not to let you play then kill them and make mittens out of their skin.  :mad:
I feel for you if you parents don't come to their senses.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Broken Bolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 12:21:00 pm »

haha

you don't know my kid though

He doesn't want to hear curious George books any more because George sometimes gets in trouble, you know, big things like dropping an ice cream cone.

If I let his dwarfs get killed he'll never want to hear about this game again, ever.

Just trying to make it something he'll like.

Moocow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 12:59:00 pm »

Honestly, shit happens. You're going to have to expose him to that at some point.
Death solves all problems - no dwarf, no problem.
- Joseph Stalin

Zonhin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 01:12:00 pm »

Moocow shut up.

the kid is four.

[ January 19, 2008: Message edited by: Zonhin ]

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »

I played DOOM with my dad when I was 6... maybe I was just weird or something.  :p
Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Fenrir

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dark:
<STRONG>I played DOOM with my dad when I was 6... maybe I was just weird or something.   :p</STRONG>

My little brother is nine and he's spilled the blood of many foes. He is now learning DF.

Lavastine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 02:35:00 pm »

Now listen people, games are always blamed for making kids violent murderers and the gaming community always responds that the parents are doing their jobs by protecting them and restricting what they play and see.
This guy is doing his job, he is making the game safe for his kid, I think its great, and I don't see why you guys are belittling him for doing his job as a parent.

As for helping you check out the options.ini file, you can turn sieges/cave-ins/fell moods off straight up. That would get rid of most of it. Then (if you feel like thats not enough)you could delete any hostile creatures from the raws, and make the docile creatures all small, or give them whatever tag makes animals run away from people.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 02:54:00 pm »

Well, ironing out all the various accidents or nasties in this game will be quite a feat...  For instance, you'd have to find a way of removing all deaths (murder, butchering, falling down a pit, walking into a wolf, having a dwarf forget what he was doing and hold his breath 'till he dies, as well making all animals sterile (you can't have them dying, and if they breed without death you're in big trouble).

And then you'd have to find some way of keeping him out of adventure mode.  

*You adjust your grip on the ratman's head!
*The ratman struggles feebly against your grip
*You gouge out the ratman's left eye with your left hand!
*The ratman's left eye has been torn out!

Good luck man, I really hope you find something that works.  Probably easier just to keep on movin'...

quote:
Originally posted by Zaratustra:
<STRONG>Find a dwarf mod for The Sims 2.</STRONG>

Console command.  "somethingsomething stretch_skeleton 0.4".  There's a certain amount in either direction you can go where they still function with the old animations, but if you tell a 2.0 stretched sim to go jump on a trampoline, you get a bouncing wad of limbs.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15