Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: G-rated no killing  (Read 45779 times)

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: G-rated no killing
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2008, 05:56:00 am »

I think you will have more succes modding the violence out of CBJ then with DF.

Getting rid of anything that can attack will help, but butchering animals is hardcoded(unless you get rid of animals alltogether and so are caveins. I think you can up damblock so high that dwarves will survive any fall as long as it isn't a chasm or demon pit.

If you realy want a construction only game that does not include violence, i suggest something along the lines of rollercoaster tycoon or simcity.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2008, 07:21:00 am »

Return to blockland maybe, or just blockland?

Pure construction and the violence is extremely limited. It's fun too.  :)

Also easy to learn.

Got Ninja?
Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz, Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz... WAAAAAGH!
NHP (Non human pact. Copy and paste if you are going to destroy all human-like creatures in spore.)

Lazy_Perfectionist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2008, 08:05:00 am »

Yeah... wish I could be of help here, but searching my memory, I can't think of anything that quite fits the bill.

Pikmin (Gamecube)? Not base building, plenty of combat. Rated E.
SimAnt (oldschool SNES)? Plenty of combat.

All I can safely suggest is a real deck of playing cards, and maybe a game of War,  Go Fish, Old Maid, or maybe Rummy. I'm not certain about that last one though, since I can't remember what four year-olds are like. Its rules are fairly simple, though its got a lot of strategic depth. But if the kid plays memory games, then they might be sharp enough, I dunno.

OH! I've got one. The Harvest Moon series. It's a long running series, with releases of varying quality. You'll want to read reviews first, since they've experimented with the formula a lot, and it can be found on almost any video game platform, from the playstation to the gameboy. Harvest Moon started out pretty successfully on the SNES as a Farming RPG. When I was younger I played it quite a bit. Haven't gotten engaged in it since, though... If I remember correctly, you don't need to worry about any violence or death or remotely objectionable content.

However, a few releases have content I'd be cautious about exposing your four year old to. Nothing I'd be afraid to expose an eight year old to, though (while I don't remember what its like to be four, I know a few eight year olds, and have some memories). The latest release for the DS has monsters and fighting. Some releases had pretty innocent dating elements. And some releases are just poorly programmed.

Not quite what you're looking for, but I'm rummaging around through my brain as I type, and am not coming up with much. Digging through board games, too... But if you restrict it to 'pretty similar' I'll draw an utter blank. I'd like to think there's something out their, but I can't think of something that allows so much fortification without some external threat...

I could rattle off a list of citybuilders, but I can't really think of them without some more significant drawback, like plague or invaders, or in the case of SimCity, taxes.

You might check out Pikmin. The level of abstraction there may make it easier on your kid. It's not people or dwarves going to war, but little vegetables.

Oh, and on the whole SimCity front, you can play SimCity Classic online. For free. http://simcity.ea.com/play/simcity_classic.php
Apparently, there are also some open-source-ish versions to... which means free. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micropolis_%28software%29  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincity

Lincity is notable for being past version 1.0 and for being on multiple platforms, including the everpresent Microsoft Windows.

Bloat325, ADDITIONAL LIQUID TYPES, (Future): Candidates for new flowing "liquids" include sand, oil, mud, blood of various sorts, slime, farm products like grain and beer for the beer fountain. Only a limited number of materials from plant raws like beer

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2008, 09:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>Blah Blah Blah...
then you are a MEAN BASTARD hos shouldn't be allowed to have kids.
I feel for you if you parents don't come to their senses.</STRONG>

Even if this whole post is in jest. Or it's an actual venting of rage. You should never tell a Father, you shouldn't be allowed kids. Especially over a game.

The rest of you saying "oh its just some sprites, oh he can't read, oh yadda yadda yadda". So? If the Father and Mother decide that the game may be too violent, and they don't want to let their children view it, then good on them. If anything that shows good parenting, making sure you raise your child with the best intentions. Help the guy out, and move on.

Those who've said "He's a bit on the young side, hold off." Or "Might want to send him on to something else, due to ~~~" gratz. You did your best  :)

Thats my rant. I hope you and your kid can have some good fun   :D

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2008, 11:08:00 am »

One thing that might help dwarves not get killed that I don't think has been mentioned:

[DAMBLOCK:1000000]

Add that to the dwarfs creature raw.

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2008, 02:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nos3y:
<STRONG>
The rest of you saying "oh its just some sprites, oh he can't read, oh yadda yadda yadda". So?</STRONG>

So, he didn’t ask for our opinion, he asked has anyone removed a huge portion of the game or is there an easy way to do this? Answers to both are no.

Is there a game that roughly has the same level of insane detail that DF has but no combat? I don’t know but I highly doubt there is.

There’s a certain chain of events that led to this derailing that may or may not have started with Armok, but that doesn’t give you the right to say So? in such an offensive manner!

The only thing I can say at this point is that, sorry Bolt. If anyone here is wisest its 0x517A5D, you simply cannot change DF so much, nor is there any other game that could be as satisfying as DF, nor could a 4 year old even play it to its full potential. It took me three whole days to figure our how to manage a fortress, 8 hours each I reckon, I doubt a kid would have that much patience. Surely your best bet is simply to play DF yourself and explain what you are doing, simply like reading a story book.

Maybe we got you all wrong, maybe you never intended to let him play at all, the way you worded your post led us to believe something else, you said you didn’t want to expose him to things like sieges, but surely he could only be exposed to such if he played the game himself? But then you say if he wants to play it, you'll let him play a limited version, then you state that you are not an expert parent, saying such is to invite advice from others, even non-parents like myself, because simply, I would advise how my parents brought me up but ultimately it is your decision. You then say it would be silly to limit his experiences based on your estimation of his mental capacity, here I could say it would be better to let him attempt to play the game as it is, but then he would give up in frustration (I would). You then say once again you want to make it safe, it would be troublesome of me to ask you define what 'safe' means, because there is nothing physically dangerous about a computer game itself, though certain monitors might have an ill effect on the eyes, I doubt that is the major concern here. Mentally I don’t think its dangerous, I would guess that the worst case scenario is that he hates the game and doesn’t want to play it any longer, then in a few years time he would completely forget about what DF is and the only lingering memory is of how hard and annoying the game is. Later you say if his dwarves die, he will reject DF for all eternity, maybe it would be better to forget about this entirely? Its certainly a problem, he wants to play a game that it seems, he will hate when he plays it, what do you do? Let him play it and make him hate it? Forbid him playing it and make him hate you? Let him play it but change it behind his back so that its more ideal for him? Whatever I would do I certainly wouldn’t lie to him, I don’t think my parents ever lied to me about the things I liked, was there ever a need to? Maybe he does like DF for the less honorable things, or maybe he doesn’t understand that the dark red shapes represent blood and gore? Seeing as you haven’t posted anything recently I have no idea what you did, I would hope that you followed my advice and told him that the game involves death and gore, though not visually as such.

Either way whatever you did is your business though I would be grateful to know if I am wrong in this matter, from you, not from anybody else.

I probably should have structured this post better, but now that I've already typed it all up...
My science teacher would wag her finger at me for this post.  :confused:

If anybody is wondering, I wrote this post because I was angry at my advice being rejected by someone who it did not concern. The top of this post was written and hour and fifteen minutes ago.
So?

Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>Well, if you manage to get your four year old playing this game, I recommend you go through the language files first, there are some nasty words in there.</STRONG>

If he manages to play it well, call the government and report your son as a super-genius!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2008, 03:49:00 pm »

I've got the greatest respect for your attempts to do this--I think it would be a pretty fun game!  However I think it would be about as easy to remove all the violence from Liberal Crime Squad.

A violence-free game with DF's complexity would be fun, heck, I'd play it.  The "Tycoon" games sometimes get within an order of magnitude or two.

Good luck!

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2008, 04:12:00 pm »

If the boy is put off by Curious George, then I think watching little children's limbs fly off in all directions also would.

Nordic children however, have to learn the lessons of life the hard way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Ms54CqskA  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0kNJNe7HGE

[ January 24, 2008: Message edited by: Necro ]

Lazy_Perfectionist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »

As an english speaker,
WHAT THE HELL is that video about?
 Bloat325, ADDITIONAL LIQUID TYPES, (Future): Candidates for new flowing "liquids" include sand, oil, mud, blood of various sorts, slime, farm products like grain and beer for the beer fountain. Only a limited number of materials from plant raws like beer

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2008, 06:53:00 pm »

Jesus, people! All he wants to do is not expose his child to disturbing things. Stop throwing around "you're a bad person if you do this..." kinda crap.  He's asking for advice, not your judgments about how he raises his children.

Fenrir

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2008, 08:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by WillNZ:
<STRONG>He's asking for advice...</STRONG>

All he asked was whether it was possible to mod out all the violence. I think the answer is no. There's always a chance for bloodshed in DF.

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »

You could mod out of the violence by lying to him. When his dwarf dies tell him that all the red stuff is because he's eatting strawberry pie and he passed out because it was sooo good that he doesn't want to work ever again and he just wants to sit in the grass eatting strawberry pie for the rest of the game. If he says that is stupid just agree with him and move on. Don't let him read descriptions of battle scenes or he'll notice his dwarf's arm on the ground ect but you can pretty much lie about the rest of it.
"And call a dog a cow-that don't change the way the thing'll taste!" Bruenor Battlehammer

http://railickstonemane.wordpress.com/
http://stonemane.hostei.com/

Zonhin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2008, 09:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Railick Stonemane:
<STRONG>You could mod out of the violence by lying to him. When his dwarf dies tell him that all the red stuff is because he's eatting strawberry pie and he passed out because it was sooo good that he doesn't want to work ever again and he just wants to sit in the grass eatting strawberry pie for the rest of the game. If he says that is stupid just agree with him and move on. Don't let him read descriptions of battle scenes or he'll notice his dwarf's arm on the ground ect but you can pretty much lie about the rest of it.</STRONG>

its stupid people like you who make me so angry!!! you cant lie to a 4 yo my prants lie to me all the time i dont like it at all!!! as a 13 yo i know that lifw is very hard and because i have so much life experience stuff happens to a thirteen year old so we all know about lif. and if you do not expose your kid to violence how will they be ready for life?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2008, 11:56:00 pm »

I'm sorry BB, but if you're trying to protect a kid from the inevitability of failure and death in DF you're going up a very steep and slippery slope! As others have pointed out, the slogan of the game is 'Losing is Fun'.

I'll second recommending the Sim games, with 'No Disasters' mode on of course.  Just as a first, less harsh step towards building up to DF. Sim City, Sim Town, Sim Farm are all great ones. Sim City is now open source (minus the trademarked name branding) as 'Micropolis'

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15