Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: G-rated no killing  (Read 45806 times)

Fenrir

Re: G-rated no killing
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2008, 08:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>I think it's because we feel that we need to have our opinion heard. We are human, and arguing and correcting is our nature. I only wish BrokenBolt would post "ok".</STRONG>

Yes, please, BrokenBolt, say "when"!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2008, 09:12:00 pm »

I think he left.

Of course, that's just my opinion.  It's open for discussion.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2008, 06:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>I think he left.

Of course, that's just my opinion.  It's open for discussion.</STRONG>

I find your opinion that your opinion is open for discussion offensive to my religion. I challenge you to a duel to death by flaming.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Broken Bolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2009, 11:36:31 pm »

Wheeew!

Sorry to be away so long, I just looked back at this post.
My son is 5 now and pretty much gets his own fortresses up and running alone.
We just turned off invaders and when one drowns or burns I used to try to scroll away but somewhere along the line I just explained that we needed to take care of the dwarfs.

He still says, "Dad, what does this say?" a few times.  The most difficult thing right now is the prepare carefully part.  He is just about to where he can trade alone. 

Ironically, 2 days ago he started amongst a plethora of evil thing.  More than I think I had seen.  I explained that he could dig on the opposite side of the map and hope they'd not bother him or activate all 7 starting dwarfs immediately and "we might lose a couple" but he'd probably clear the area. 
This is the option he chose.
The cave spider wiped out the whole crew in under a minute and the thing collapsed into ruin.  A couple hours later I overheard him tell his Mom all about it in his bath and thought, "I am gonna hear about this."  Didn't too much though.

DF is the thing he looks forward to right after dinner nearly everyday and right after pancakes on weekend mornings.  He get really immersed in it and I usually read a book nearby while he's playing.  He alters the key bindings so the z-level shifts are * and / by himself.

I thought about posting a fortress he'd done everything on alone sometime.

I appreciate everyone's comments.  It's cool that so many different perspectives are out there.  I had no idea this thread had continued to grow until 20 minutes ago.

DF definitely teaches a lot about organizing and other things he'll absorb without me ever knowing it.

Kudos to the provider.

igrants have arrived from El Paso.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2009, 11:56:51 pm »

Wheeew!

Sorry to be away so long, I just looked back at this post.
My son is 5 now and pretty much gets his own fortresses up and running alone.
We just turned off invaders and when one drowns or burns I used to try to scroll away but somewhere along the line I just explained that we needed to take care of the dwarfs.

He still says, "Dad, what does this say?" a few times.  The most difficult thing right now is the prepare carefully part.  He is just about to where he can trade alone. 

Ironically, 2 days ago he started amongst a plethora of evil thing.  More than I think I had seen.  I explained that he could dig on the opposite side of the map and hope they'd not bother him or activate all 7 starting dwarfs immediately and "we might lose a couple" but he'd probably clear the area. 
This is the option he chose.
The cave spider wiped out the whole crew in under a minute and the thing collapsed into ruin.  A couple hours later I overheard him tell his Mom all about it in his bath and thought, "I am gonna hear about this."  Didn't too much though.

DF is the thing he looks forward to right after dinner nearly everyday and right after pancakes on weekend mornings.  He get really immersed in it and I usually read a book nearby while he's playing.  He alters the key bindings so the z-level shifts are * and / by himself.

I thought about posting a fortress he'd done everything on alone sometime.

I appreciate everyone's comments.  It's cool that so many different perspectives are out there.  I had no idea this thread had continued to grow until 20 minutes ago.

DF definitely teaches a lot about organizing and other things he'll absorb without me ever knowing it.

Kudos to the provider.

Woah. Awesome.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2009, 12:55:20 am »

Haha, that's really cool.  I'm amazed that a 5-year-old had the patience to learn DF's interface.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2009, 01:43:47 am »

Haha, that's really cool.  I'm amazed that a 5-year-old had the patience to learn DF's interface.

He's still in his formative years, right? Probably easier at that age than any other. Probably also acts as an incentive to learn to read + he is learning the layout of a keyboard, I imagine in the future he will have an easy time of learning to type. Also, he is 'learning' many other things that he and his parents have no idea of, like the OP mentioned.

FoboslC

« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2009, 05:14:56 am »

Keeping Your kid from the fact that the world, in  fact, a bloody, dangerous world, full of traitors and backstabbing bastards, Telling him that everything is fluffy and cuddle, that there is no danger - is FAR more dangerous than not letting him see ASCII Viollence.
He'll have to deal with this shit one day, and You're not helping him.

Broken Bolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2009, 08:21:01 am »

Uh, how is "the spider ate all the dwarfs.  Your fortress crumbles to ruin" Telling him that everything is fluffy and cuddle?
igrants have arrived from El Paso.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2009, 08:43:11 am »

Shaping ones personality if far more fun when done to a pixel dwarf, far less so when to a human being your responsible for.

The best guidance you've had so far is to supervise him while he plays the ASCII version, wait till he gets bored(help him get bored by doing boring stuff) and then propose him to play some friendly game, like Sim City(I played that when I was 4). Admittedly Godzilla attacking my city was unpleasant for me but I got over it eventually ;). Space Sims and old FPS game where also loads of fun for me as a kid when I could reach my brothers computer.

You probably shouldn't disallow him from playing at all though, games are probably the most mind expanding thing he can do at this age.  Just not DF thats my opinion, as its neither user nor family friendly.

Quote from: Necro
Nordic children however, have to learn the lessons of life the hard way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Ms54CqskA
oh gosh that cartoon had me terrified when I was a kid. After the "Hufsa" episode I ran out screaming to my parents. It aired in Poland too but features too much nightmare fuel to be shown to small children.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2009, 02:24:48 pm »

lol, almost every time I see a thread where the OP is talking about his/her kid, everyone and their mother HAS to chip in about how they are raising him wrong, and should do such and such instead, stop sheltering him, world is violent, you're hurting him by not showing him A Clockwork Orange and All Quiet On The Western Front at a young age, you're a bad parent, rabble rabble rabble. :/

I wonder how many of the people posting here have had kids?  (I haven't)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2009, 02:27:04 pm »

Keeping Your kid from the fact that the world, in  fact, a bloody, dangerous world, full of traitors and backstabbing bastards, Telling him that everything is fluffy and cuddle, that there is no danger - is FAR more dangerous than not letting him see ASCII Viollence.
He'll have to deal with this shit one day, and You're not helping him.

The thread has covered this ground already, please attempt to contribute next time.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2009, 02:35:42 pm »

If your child dose not make the next Boatmurder than you messed up somewhere along the lines.

There's probably a lot of other neat stuff to learn from here but I'm pretty sure that none of us are child psychlogists. Other than that make sure you teach your kid to not kill children or immigrants when they start arriving by the wagon loads.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2009, 02:54:38 pm »

If your child dose not make the next Boatmurder than you messed up somewhere along the lines.

There's probably a lot of other neat stuff to learn from here but I'm pretty sure that none of us are child psychlogists. Other than that make sure you teach your kid to not kill children or immigrants when they start arriving by the wagon loads.

Well...

Just make sure he understands the difference between killing people/creatures in a game and in real life.

That said, when/if i have kids, i hope i can get them interested in DF...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

ChocoHearts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2009, 03:36:16 pm »

Well...

Just make sure he understands the difference between killing people/creatures in a game and in real life.
This, a thousand times, this! IMHO, a kid's not gonna be scarred as long as he knows what "make-believe" means.

When my little bro was five or six, he tried to watch the Battle of Helm's Deep sequence. Scared him to death until we explained that it was all computer-generated, and then he was ok with it.
Feeling dumb is just nature's way of telling you you're still learning.
Elfy McElf: We are here to hug trees and kill dwarves. And it's your fault we are all out of trees.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15