Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: G-rated no killing  (Read 45136 times)

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: G-rated no killing
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2008, 05:02:00 pm »

To hop on the Doom bandwagon with everyone else, I tried it out when I was 5 or so, and found it quite fun. Along with Duke Nukem 3D.

I figure you should play and let the kid make some decisions while watching, like what some other people have already mentioned. The damblock thing would likely help, but there's loads of other violent things that can easily occur. It's your choice on whether to expose your child to this. If he can't deal with the little things in Curious George, you might want to warn him about what the game has, and then leave it to him to decide, while guiding him through the game.

quote:
Originally posted by Railick Stonemane:
You could mod out of the violence by lying to him. When his dwarf dies tell him that all the red stuff is because he's eatting strawberry pie and he passed out because it was sooo good that he doesn't want to work ever again and he just wants to sit in the grass eatting strawberry pie for the rest of the game. If he says that is stupid just agree with him and move on. Don't let him read descriptions of battle scenes or he'll notice his dwarf's arm on the ground ect but you can pretty much lie about the rest of it.

I can't tell whether this is sarcastic or serious. It's rather dangerous to tell children this, since they can have a variety of reactions to this type of deception.

quote:
Originally posted by Zonhin: its stupid people like you who make me so angry!!! you cant lie to a 4 yo my prants lie to me all the time i dont like it at all!!! as a 13 yo i know that lifw is very hard and because i have so much life experience stuff happens to a thirteen year old so we all know about lif. and if you do not expose your kid to violence how will they be ready for life?

Heh, might want to calm down a bit? Remember, it's the parent's choice. The kid'll be exposed to violence, that's guaranteed, but knowing how to cope with it depends on maturity.

Zonhin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kusgnos:
Heh, might want to calm down a bit? Remember, it's the parent's choice. The kid'll be exposed to violence, that's guaranteed, but knowing how to cope with it depends on maturity.

I was... joking. Making fun of them. Don't worry.   :)

UltimaPhantom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2008, 12:49:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lazy_Perfectionist:
<STRONG>As an english speaker,
WHAT THE HELL is that video about?</STRONG>

Well, that's Moomin. I remember that as my favourite cartoon series when I was younger. It's Finnish-made program, originally made as books by Tove Jansson.
And to explain those characters, that Big Blackish Thingy is Mörkö (Mörkö is Finnish for Monster), who can freeze people by touching them and that brown guy is Nipsu, coward and greedy.
A HREF="http://techommando.blogspot.com/">http://techommando.blogspot.com/

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2008, 02:49:00 am »

When I first saw DF, it reminded me of a game called Clonk. It involves digging into the ground, building and running an industry. There was a combat aspect to it, but I found the game pretty satisfying without ever delving into combat. IIRC, it's not nearly as violent as DF, but some accidental (and gore-less) death may be possible.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2008, 09:30:00 pm »

Smirt45 (6:28:53 PM): Necro

Bay Watcher posted January 20, 2008 04:12 PM  

If the boy is put off by Curious George, then I think watching little childrens' limbs fly off in all directions also would.
Twerty223 (6:29:31 PM): What the hell? Is someone trying to get a kid to play DF? xD
Smirt45 (6:29:39 PM): yeah
Smirt45 (6:29:41 PM): four-year-old
Smirt45 (6:29:47 PM): he wants to mod out all the violence
Twerty223 (6:30:03 PM): LOL
Twerty223 (6:30:03 PM): LOL

Not to be offensive, but I think that's an answer enough.

I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2008, 12:32:00 am »

EDIT: Damn...Somehow, I always manage to make a fool of myself on forums.

[ January 24, 2008: Message edited by: Wooty ]

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2008, 02:40:00 am »

I have played violent videogames since I was 7, and I am a GPA 4.333 Student. I play crysis daily. I play Df sometimes. And I don't ever feel like doing anything violent to anyone.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2008, 03:10:00 am »

Why is this thread not finished yet? Their question was answered on the first page, the anecdotes and arguments are unnecessary.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2008, 04:51:00 pm »

because somebody turned it into a furnace.

It happens.

Eruonen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>Com on, is ASCII, let the kid play, it won't ham him. there is no evidence games makes peaple more violent despite several studies being done. Even if you could remove violence the resulting game wouldn't be a fraction as awesome, and if you don't let him at least TRY this awesomeness then you are a MEAN BASTARD hos shouldn't be allowed to have kids.    :mad:
And if this does not convince you, then please at least tell him this message so he know he has sympathizers, and tell him also that it was me who said it and the implications of my name.
And you, son of broken bolt, should NEVER EVER stop fighting to play this game, this game will make everything else in your life a meaningless dream in comparison. And if  your parents are EVIL enough not to let you play then kill them and make mittens out of their skin.    :mad:
I feel for you if you parents don't come to their senses.</STRONG>

Looking at your language skills, you seem like a kid yourself. Though I agree with you, I would not listen to you if that post was directed to me.
I recommend that you at least run a spellingchecker through your post when you're expressing your opinion. Proper English will make people take you more serious.

EDIT
Complaining aside,
It's obvious that your son, Broken Bolt, probably won't be satisfied playing another game in stead. He wants to play what dad's playing!
You could remove all creatures, moods and make the dwarfs an almost-invincible race (so cave-ins won't matter anymore).
You could also play together with him. You can avoid the obvious deaths like cave-ins and drowning, make a moat around your fortress to prevent sieges and IF something bad happens, just act like it's something else.

[ January 24, 2008: Message edited by: Eruonen ]

Zonhin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2008, 09:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wooty:
<STRONG>....Okay, that just made my day. Please do not comment about rasing children unless you have had your own and possess a faint, small, glimmer of intelligence. A very important lesson to you right now - use proper grammar and spelling, especially when everyone else is. I don't want to waste my time trying to  figure out what 'i have so much life experience stuff happens to a thirteen year old se we all know about life' means. Actually, it doesn't mean anything. What the hell are you talking about?

[/rant]
Seriously, let the parent decide when its time to expose children to violence. My childhood was filled with happy memories about santa and trying to catch the easter bunny hiding the eggs. I'm happy that my parents didn't tell me 'the facts' and never lie to me. If the kid can't even handle things like getting into trouble or being sad, he sure as heck isn't going to be better off knowing about death. DO NOT tell a parent how to raise their children. I cannot repeat that enough.</STRONG>

I was joking. I was making fun of them. I already explained this.

[ January 24, 2008: Message edited by: Zonhin ]

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2008, 09:52:00 pm »

Oh...shit.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2008, 08:09:00 pm »

I remember my four year old cousin seeing DF.
He was cheering for me to cut off blizzard man's head.
It was weird as I haven't really told him I was even fighting a monster.

Little kids usually don't care about hostile creatures dying as long they are dehumanized monsters and not some cute animals.
Believe me, I remember playing Warcraft II in my dad's lap when I was 4 maybe 5 years old.

Dropping a cone makes him sad because he can imagine it happening to him. He cannot quite imagine getting scorched by a dragon burning his eyes out of his skull.

Oh, and Armok... What the hell, dude?

Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Fenrir

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2008, 08:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wooty:
<STRONG>EDIT: Damn...Somehow, I always manage to make a fool of myself on forums.</STRONG>

I do that a lot too.

EDIT:
Why is this topic still being discussed? It seems that the question was answered some time ago, but everyone has decided that this guy needs our parenting advice as well.

[ January 26, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2008, 08:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>
EDIT:
Why is this topic still being discussed? It seems that the question was answered some time ago, but everyone has decided that this guy needs our parenting advice as well.

[ January 26, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]</STRONG>

I think it's because we feel that we need to have our opinion heard. We are human, and arguing and correcting is our nature. I only wish BrokenBolt would post "ok".

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15