Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [RFC] Cursor movement stepping  (Read 537 times)

alex_n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[RFC] Cursor movement stepping
« on: August 10, 2006, 01:32:00 am »

It's a pain getting around while designating dig paths and placing things.  Why not add a modifier key (shift?) that will make the cursor skip a set number of squares?  (ie  shift+left = skip 3 sqares to the left)

Just a thought.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: [RFC] Cursor movement stepping
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 01:49:00 am »

Something like that could work, although I don't know about people that are using letters to move their cursors, since they might be using capital letters for commands, etc.  At the same time, there could be "modified cursor movement" interface keys, which could either be bound or unbound, and if it has a binding, it could be used to go fast, so I guess there's some way of adding things like this without disturbing other players.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

BeefontheBone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 10:33:00 am »

Either that or the arrow keys could still move the screen like they do when you haven't pressed 'd', and the numpad move the cursor.
etter than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick which has been dipped in sulphuric acid and had razor blades inserted into it. Probably.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 03:21:00 pm »

Yeah, right now all the numpad/arrows/numbers are merged because some keyboards don't have all of those things.  Once I get a basic keyboard playing the game correctly, we can think about branching out.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!