Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapon questions  (Read 1290 times)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weapon questions
« on: January 27, 2008, 06:31:00 pm »

I'm experimenting with some custom weapons.
1. What does [TWO_HANDED:number] do? How high/low does it take to make it one-handed/two-handed?
2. What does [MINIMUM_SIZE:number] do?
3. How do I say what they are made of/how my dwarves (in fortress mode) make them and where?
4. If I just add them into the item_weapon file can my adventurers get them?

Thanks!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon questions
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 07:02:00 pm »

1: [TWO_HANDED:5] will mean any creature of size 5 or less will have to use the weapon two-handed.
2: [MINIMUM_SIZE:5] will mean that any creature of size 4 or less will NOT be able to wield the weapon, at least normally.
3: The only tag to specify what a weapon can be made of is [CAN_STONE] that indicates that a weapon can be made by a stonecrafter with any sharp stone (only obsidian in vanilla game). The actual materials the weapon can be made of are defined by the tags of the entity the weapon is assigned to - thus, elves make wooden weapons, for example, while dwarves make metal ones.
4: No. You will have to add the weapon somewhere for it to be available in-game at all. Viable options are: to an entity, using the existing [WEAPON:] tag, or as an itemcorpse to a creature. In case of the entity, or if you're using a new creature, generating a new world will probably be required.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 07:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG> The actual materials the weapon can be made of are defined by the tags of the entity the weapon is assigned to - thus, elves make wooden weapons, for example, while dwarves make metal ones.
</STRONG>

Thanks a ton!
It will select what it's made of automatically, right?
Also, it can be in the WEAPON: file of multiple entities, correct?

[ January 27, 2008: Message edited by: Helmaroc ]

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »

It should also be important to note that if you create a new weapon class your dwarves won't be able to equip it.  That's simply an interface problem because the military screen only includes the default 8 weapons.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »

Skill class, you mean?

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 10:32:00 pm »

[MINIMUM_SIZE:x] is probably the minimum size a creature has to be to use the weapon. [TWO_HANDED:x] is the probably the size you have to be large than in order to use the weapon one handed.

I say "probably" because there aren't any obvious effects from these tags; creatures can use any weapon, along with a shield if they like. There may be penalties related to using oversized weapons, but if there are they are too small to notice.

quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>

Thanks a ton!
It will select what it's made of automatically, right?
Also, it can be in the WEAPON: file of multiple entities, correct?

[ January 27, 2008: Message edited by: Helmaroc ]</STRONG>

It will either select the material automatically or let you pick, depending on what you're doing. Weapons don't have to be unique to any entity; for example, every entity in the unmodded game has [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT].

quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>Skill class, you mean?</STRONG>

Yes. Only weapons that use spear, sword, axe, mace, hammer, or crossbow skill can be used in Fortress mode, because you can't assign creatures to be lashers, bowmen, knife users, etc. currently.

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 11:07:00 am »

So, if I put the token [WOOD_PREF] in the dwarven entity will they be able to make weapons out of wood as well?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 12:25:00 pm »

Theoretically. It will mean that wooden weapons will be available to you at embark (including stupid things like wooden axes used to chop wood), but as to whether you will be able to make wooden items other than bolts, crafts, and crossbows, I have no idea.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India