Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting Custom Tilesets to work...  (Read 1007 times)

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting Custom Tilesets to work...
« on: February 13, 2008, 10:27:00 pm »

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Tilesets
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Graphics_sets

I'm trying to get the Dystopian Rhetoric Tileset to work. Yet no matter what i do i cannot get it to be displayed.

I have followed and done everything the wiki said.

I have gotten "Mike Mayday (Tocky, DR, Herrbdog etc)" tileset to work just fine. Haven't had a problem with it. But now i cannot get any other tileset to work.

Can anyone help?

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Custom Tilesets to work...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 02:48:00 am »

The problem you are having is understanding the distinction between GRAPHICS SETS and CHARACTER SETS.  Usually we refer to CHARACTER SETS as tilesets.  These replace the ingame symbols(numbers,letters,% sign, etc).  They are installed in data/art

GRAPHICS SETS replace the images of creatures and not characters.  Dystopian Rhetoric is a graphics set.  It should be installed under raw/graphics.  The "Mike Mayday" package has both character sets and graphics sets.  It also comes preinstalled on DF.

To install Dystopian Rhetoric.  Download it and extract it into raw/graphics overwriting the files that are already there.  Use a vanilla copy of DF.  Then go into data/init and scroll down to [GRAPHICS:NO].  Change it to yes and fill in any tileset info you want there.

I'm a little tired right now so I hope this is coherent enough to help you.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Nightflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 05:28:00 am »

If you want to save yourself alot of trouble, just download the DFG.

Its up here http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm

Perty DF.

Laghed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 08:12:00 am »

My problem with the myriad of graphic sets is that I am not really into the final fantasy squatty look or the zelda stuff... I'm old and the Dystopian rhetoric graphic set works best for me, I love the simple graphics . Reminds me of this old Tandy IBm clone we had back in 1994 or 3 or something...opinions opinions

I personally would love to see more Atari style old Ninetendo style graphics.

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 04:24:00 pm »

Alright i got it to work now. Thanks for the help  :)
There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 04:13:00 pm »

About the Mike Mayday one, to what resolution should I set it so I can see the entire screen?  It reverts to windowed mode when I hit fullscreen, and cuts off a good sized section of the rightmost part of the screen.

Nevermind, I managed to force my brain into the mechanisms and get it to work.  But then it cycled, so now my brain is kind of like lettuce but OMG square tiles make it so much easier to see what you're doing.  I always hated the rectangles.

[ February 15, 2008: Message edited by: Muffles ]

Shoes...

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 03:51:00 pm »

Is it common for custom tilesets to actually replace the in-game text? I did the Mike Mayday one, but letters in even names turned into walls. Like every dot in any sentence became ground tile.

That annoyed me so much I went back to the starting ASCII, but is that what was supposed to happen?

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!