Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will this plant work as intended?  (Read 448 times)

Gwythur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will this plant work as intended?
« on: February 13, 2008, 11:15:00 pm »

Although dwarves are better craftsmen with stone and metals, it seems to me that elves should be better weavers.  To that end, I'd like to put in a plant that only elves have access to.  Since elves use good plants, I think it is possible to set the plant with no biomes, and have elves bring it for trade anyhow.  Here's what I've got:

[MATGLOSS_PLANT:GRASS_ELF]
   [TILE:159][COLOR:2:0:0]
   [NAME:elfweave][NAME_PLURAL:elfweaves]
   [VALUE:4]
   [GENPOWER:3]
   [GOOD]
   [DRINK:elfwine:3:0:1]
   [DRINKVALUE:5]
   [MILL:forest camouflage:1:0:1]
   [MILL_VALUE:30]
   [MILL_DYE:FERN_GREEN]
   [THREAD]
   [SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
   [FREQUENCY:25][CLUSTERSIZE:5]

If I've done this right, the plant should never be found by herbalism, and should be brought for trade by elves in three forms:

elfweave thread/cloth - twice the value of pig tails and rope reeds
   elfwine - of equal value to sunshine
   forest camouflage dye - slightly higher value than other dyes, and fern green

Since there are no seeds, and the plant is not edible raw, the plant itself should never be seen.  Oh, and I did not put a preference tag, so that dwarves cannot prefer it.

Does anyone see any problems?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Will this plant work as intended?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 12:23:00 am »

Elves use good plants yes, but only those that exist in the biomes associated with that civ. I'm pretty sure that they will not use this plant as it won't exist in their biome, but you should try it and see.

If I'm right, one way you could get this in would be to make the plant incredibly rare, as currently a civ only checks if an item exists in its area, rather than the quantity of an item. This would allow for elf civs to use the plant and for it to be found extremely rarely via herbalism.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 12:44:00 am »

Also, make sure that the color FERN_GREEN exists in the game beforehand.  Otherwise, crash.

I forget where colors are stored, it's in one of the files here somewhere...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 11:39:00 am »

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems to be missing a biome.  Even the vanilla ones at least have biome not freezing.  And without a biome, how will the elves know it grows in their area?

Any temperate forest and any tropical forest should make them appear in forests so the elves could get them.  EDIT: Didn't see the no seeds part, dwarves can't grow them.  But in theory the elves would be tricked into thinking they grow which would allow them to spawn some.

[ February 14, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!