Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Pirates of the Fondled Waters (Community Pirate Ship)  (Read 70251 times)

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Pirates of the Fondled Waters (Community Pirate Ship)
« on: March 05, 2008, 09:25:00 pm »

Arr, mateys.  

**NOTE:

I have changed the name of the thread to reflect the oceans on which we now sail in the budding community fortress.  

The Dread Ship Bellsmaw sailing in the Realm of Winds on the waves of The Fondled Waters!

((Edited Community Fortress, The story of Bellsmaw begins on Page 2!))

Well, one of the things I've always wanted to be able to do in Dwarf Fortress was to have a ship.  *edit, I just looked through the bloats, reqs, and cores, and I can't find anything about boats, so I guess I was misinformed and sir toady will NOT be doing boats.  It's up to US!

About 2 weeks ago I decided, to hell with it, I'm going to make my own damn ship.  

Here are some screenshots rendered in the 3D Dwarf Visualizer (Thank you for this visualizer SINOTH, you are welcome aboard my ship ANY day):

***Note:  YES the ship is made ENTIRELY out of wood.  The textures are stone because I do not know how to make the viewer read them as wood, but the other screenshots linked below show the deckstructure in game and you can see that the entire ship, every plank, every wall, is made out of wood)

More images (LARGE images, sorry) from in-game with labeled layers of the ship:

From BOTTOM LEVEL to TOP DECK ( and a few levels up for a shot of the crows nest):

Bottom Deck

Second Deck

Third Deck

Main Deck

Captains Chambers (above main deck)

Crows Nest

It's technically not floating in the water, of course.  It is held up by one single pillar on the bottom level.

I constructed the ship in a dry-dock that took quite a while to dig out (partially because I hit an aquifer half-way down and had to try for about an entire day to plug it up so I could finish the dock).

The ship is 5 levels of main area, with a walkable crows nest on top of a mast about 10z's up from the surface I believe.  

The ship and the dwarves aboard are fully self sufficient and have no need to ever go ashore.  During construction I purified water and pumped it into a storage tank with a connecting well.  

On board I have a large number of rapidly reproducing livestock (mules, cows, horses, dogs, etc) for slaughter in the event of a food shortage.  

A crows nest sits atop the main mast.  The crossbeam on the main mast houses 4 chains for jailing tantrumy pirates where they will not be able to harm anyone but themselves.  

For the truly mutinous dogs, there is a retractable lever-operated plank with which I can perform pirate justice.  

Fishing provides the main source of food, and the ship has the workshop capability to process any number of fish and animals and brew from the massive amounts of plump helmets I stowed below decks.  When they run out, the fresh water tank will be the main supply of hydration.

Workshops on the ship:

Fishery, Butcher Shop, Craftdwarfs Shop, Masons shop, Carpenters shop, Tannery, Leather shop, Kitchen, and Still.

The ship has enough beds to fit 12 dwarves at the moment.  However, on board, in the case of grown children or stow-aways, we have a small extra supply of wood and stone should we need to build extra furniture or bedrooms.  

The dining hall can sit 16 at the moment, but it is expandable.  

Provisions on board include a large stockpile of steel and iron weapons and armor (the craftdwarves make bone bolts from butchered animals for my crossbow swashbuckler to practice with and to shoot at passing sharks), extra furniture, mechanisms, and a massive amount of food and beer to last for many many years, provided the population stays relatively low.  Also on board, on the top deck, is a row of caged slave animals which I can either train or slaugher.

Yes, I have caged macaques.  Yes, I plan to have monkey knife-fights on the deck.

The trade depot on the top deck has never been used, but I suppose if the situation turned incredibly dire the dwarves could cannibalize some of the deck planks to turn into a bridge allowing merchants to come aboard ... so we could SEIZE everything they brought.  (C'mon, we're pirates!)

History of the Ship:

The name of the ship (randomly genned) is Bellsmaw.

The year is currently 1057.  It took me QUITE a while to gather all of the wood, create the supplies, stock, fit, and waterproof the ship, as well as flooding the drydock and surrounding it with water.  

We've seen our fair share of goblin ambushes and kobold thieves attempting to sneak onboard during construction, but I *THINK* we caught them all.

A few times the ship was in jeopardy, including an attack of 5 zombie tuna, and an absolutely deadly short fin maco shark which slaughtered half of the original crew.

Right now is the moment when I've finally cut free from land.  We are at sea.  The waves break over the deck and the dwarves bask in the mist while swilling grog.

Our journey is just beginning!

The purpose of this post is to gather feedback from the community:

What can I do to improve the ship?

Would anyone be interested in doing a community or succession fortress based upon this map?

What kind of ships have you made and how have your sailors fared in the past?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to your feedback, YE SCURVY DOGS!!  =)

SIGN UPS CLOSED!  Who are the ones foolish enough to board the Dread Pirate ship Bellsmaw?  I give you;

Fenrir:  Male, 'Sigurd', Viking

ColonelTEE3: Male, 'Skipper', Fisherdwarf, First Mate

Retro42: Male, 'The Professor', Mad Scientist

Impending Doom: Male, 'Imp', Buccaneer (marksdwarf)

Tigerbunny: Male, 'Horatio, Petty Officer

martinuzz: Male, 'Beardless Bob', Powder Monkey (RIP BEARDLESS BOB)
martinuzz: Female, 'Beardless Binty', Child

Kagus: Male, 'Fishgut'+name, Swashbuckler

JoRo: Female, 'Boucher', Grog Mistress

Dasqoot: Female, 'Q-Tip', Wench

Xotes: Female, 'Kalen', Swashbuckler, Captain

sidew: Female, 'Jaina', Shipwright

DuncanFrost: Female, 'Duncana', Quartermistress

Our 2 newest crewmen:

Wiles: Male, 'Tiny', Brawler

Splime: Male, 'Knifer', Swashbuckler

FUTURE PIRATES:

AlienChickenPie:  'Barnacle', Hammerdwarf

othorocksmoms:  'Malanga', Grog Apprentice

Kaelem Gaen:  'Kai/Ula', Galley/Mace

[ March 14, 2008: Message edited by: valcon ]

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Pirates of the Fondled Waters (Community Pirate Ship)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 10:13:00 pm »

I made a little ship once. After inspiration from the old bay of despair thread.  It was just a little dinghy compared to that mammoth though, and since I built it straight on a lake I couldn't build the underwater parts.

I loaded everybody on board and removed the gangplank.  The ship sunk instantly. All hands drown.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »

Epic.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »

That is awesome.  Although in the true sense it's not "Functional", but pretty damn close.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 10:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by jaybud4:
<STRONG>That is awesome.  Although in the true sense it's not "Functional", but pretty damn close.</STRONG>

Yeah, I can't sail it around ... yet =D

It's as close to functional and realistic as I could get it, mainly in that it is surrounded on every tile by water and that my little bearded pirates don't ever need to go on shore with the landlubbers.  

Speaking of landlubbers, getting ONLY 12 dwarves aboard proved impossible as stow-aways from my slave labor crews kept sneaking on board.

Let's just say that the plank has walked MANY dwarves already =)  

Thank you for the comments guys, I really appreciate it.

I'm curious to find out if anybody would be interested in doing a community fortress with this.  Obviously it isn't BRAND spanking new, but I think the grounds for an interesting story have been laid.

The crew was selected carefully; there are twelve dwarves, exactly 6 women and 6 men, and at this point none of them have formed relationships, so, even though it is 1057, it's still something of a blank slate.

I can't start the community thread now because I've been celebrating the completion by swilling some grog IRL, but perhaps tomorrow, if anybody is interested, I could start sign ups to take members of the crew.  It would be fairly small to start, until some children arrive or I allow some landlubbers on board.  

What do you say?

Fenrir

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 10:35:00 pm »

Give me a male, name him Sigurd, and make his profession 'Viking'.

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 11:00:00 pm »

I'll take the strongest wench aboard. Call her Q-tip and profession, Wench.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 11:02:00 pm »

I would like to be one of your male fisherdwarves, name him 'Skipper' please.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Kylaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 11:20:00 pm »

That is indeed awesome. Can you put a couple of ballistae on the main deck, to allow it to engage other ships? It looks like you have enough space. The siege workshop can be constructed on land; after all, ships didn't carry their own cannon foundries.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 11:20:00 pm »

As an improvement it would be awesome (and maybe historical) to have ballista or four on board.  However I have no idea how you could possibly produce the bolts. Without going ashore.

EDIT: Wow, same idea, same moment. You owe me a Dr Pepper.

[ March 05, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 11:27:00 pm »

Yes, I agree completely, and, I actually think it MIGHT be possible to do without going ashore.

Here's what I'd originally planned, and may actually still do:

I wanted to build this ship, and line one side with ballista and catapults.

Then, i wanted to build another ship, a smaller ship, with fortifications, within cross-bow distance of my main ship.  The other ship would have a gangplank going ashore so that goblin sieges could board the smaller ship and engage in ship-to-ship crossbow fighting, and, if I added some siege weapons aboard the main ship, could make for some really fun fights =)  

Very good suggestions though, I'm going to chew on them and see if I can find a way to get some ballistas up.  There is definately enough room on the deck.  

Perhaps the next wave of immigrants can construct the goblin ship?  Hmm ...

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 11:29:00 pm »

I'll take a male if available.  Name him "The Professor" and make him a "Mad Scientist"

I love the idea btw.  Definitely epic.

Retro

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 11:30:00 pm »

Arrh!  Ye beat me to it, you poxed barnacle!

I've been thinking about building a ship for some time, but I don't think I'd have the patience for actually building it.  Pity I couldn't work out my pirate mod before you built this thing, it would've been very fitting.

Name:  Take the first name of a dwarf and add 'Fishgut' in front of it.

Profession: Fisherdwarf/Military dwarf.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 11:43:00 pm »

Guess I better take one before they're all snapped up. Give me a dwarf and call him Imp. Perhaps that marksdwarf you mentioned who sits up in the crow's nest?
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 11:44:00 pm »

You got it, Imp =)

Ok, roll call so far:

Fenrir:  Male, 'Sigurd', Viking

ColonelTEE3: Male, 'Skipper', Fisherdwarf

Dasqoot: Female, 'Q-Tip', Wench

Retro42: Male, 'The Professor', Mad Scientist

Kagus: Female(y/n?), Name+'fishgut', Swashbuckler (that cool?)

Impending Doom: Male, 'Imp', Buccaneer (marksdwarf)

So, unless Kagus objects to being a female, we have the following available:

2 Males, 4 females.  

We need a captain!

[ March 05, 2008: Message edited by: valcon ]

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18