Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 373570 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #2565 on: March 30, 2011, 01:01:38 pm »

Go Adol!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: March 30, 2011, 01:21:38 pm »

adol sounds as an asshole of armokian porpotions. . . . .
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: March 31, 2011, 08:12:29 am »

Rough news everyone :(

I just got off the phone with Flak and it seems like he might be done with things for good this time :-\   He's really tweaking out about how everything in the game is going downhill since he released the water and he is refusing to talk about it pretty much...soooooo yeah.

I have access to his googledocs to look through his outlines and notes and we shared DF saves regularly so I'm not too far behind to pick up where he left off perhaps.  We will see, maybe later on today.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up since you all deserve to know after such a long journey in Migrursut. :-)   

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: March 31, 2011, 12:04:42 pm »

This is the end of part 1 of his drafts.  He did a little for part 2 but I'm working to finish it up based on his screenshots and outlines. 

The Events of the 14th of Felsite, 1075
Part 1:

For the better part of two days, drums could be heard in the distance, their methodical thrum, thrum, thrum sending a chill down the stoutest of spines.  It grew in volume, and by dusk on the 13th, some Dwarves swore they could feel the maddening instruments reverberating through the very stones.  Occasionally, if the winds drifted in the right direction, flute melodies could be heard, and the droning dirge of pipes, and what could only be the sorrowful sounds of a battle hymn. 

Merkil and his band stood atop the eastern wall of the fortress.  Adol and Maggarg were both bundles of nervous energy, and Merkil chewed on some roots, his gums blackening from it's tar-and-tobacco contents.  Even Likot seemed jittery, her trench coat rustling about her ankles, her single good hand checking and re-checking the action on her repeating crossbow. 

"The air, it tastes wrong... Damn them, them them all, there's just no time..."
"It'll be alright," Merkil said gruffly.  "We've fought off countless bands before.  This will off no more issue than a hundred other battles."
"I don't taste goblins... I'm tasting death.  I'm tasting... Lords... all the Lords, I'm tasting the Star God."

Maggarg favored here with a glance out of the corner of his eye, his thumb slowly pressing his sword free from the lock in his scabbard.  His other hand inched around to grip at the handle.  Even in his emaciated, recently-freed state, he was coiled like a whip, his temperament cooled not the least by his imprisonment, his distrust of most everyone having blossomed while in the cells.

"Oh yes, he's a'commmin'," Wilber said, without his usual cheer.  His eyes were wide, his tongue lolling as he dabbed at his lower lip.  "Comin' straight through, friends o' mine, commin' straight through... we..." and for an instant, it seemed as if sanity gripped him.  The cloud over his eyes cleared, and the Dwarf stood a bit straighter, his eyes watching out to the wastes.  "We should find a hovel to hide in.  This storm is blowing straight through."

"Get to work!" Aryn screamed.  "We close the hatches in three hours!  Death is on the winds, and your salvation is in the domes!  Your salvation is inside Ocean's Bled!  GRAB YOUR POSSESSIONS!"

Dwarves rushed about, hauling chests and cabinets, dropping behind them old clothes, trinkets, jewelry.  Bears, a good dozen of the armored beasts, were snarling and swiping at those who were too slow to get out of their way.  Aryn himself stood atop the single entrance to the domes, his arms folded across his chest, purple cloak billowing out behind him.  He struck a regal figure, even with the matted, thinning hair and the stooped posture.  The set of his face was determined, his gaze steely, his voice - the crack of a whip.  Despite themselves, many of the Dwarves felt that this was the lesser of two evils.  Torn apart at the hordes, or worked under the sea by a master they already knew.

Rice and Lucy were some of the last to file in, but only because they had stopped to aid Mookie.  Dojango, dragging along a barrel of felt, was given aid by Akroma and Quote, and even Lugnut put aside his papers to lend a hand to the old salt Cokho.  In adversity, came togetherness. 

The Duke and his Wife stood at the edge of the desert, watching as the countless bands of... marching figures drew closer.  In the morning light, it was difficult for them to make out much, but they could see the swirling of capes, and they could see the leanness of the figures.  They could also see their leader, graceful and lithe, marching by himself.  As he drew closer, The Duke let out a sigh of relief.  Only an elf, darker of skin, but most likely it hailed from the south.  Rings of red flowers filled out it's hair, and it's mouth was stretched into a painfully wide smile, showing rows of thin, gleaming teeth.

"We're surprised to see you here," The Duke announced, giving a slight bow.  "Seeing as a representative is still in our fortress, making his demands."

The Elf before them didn't speak, he only tilted his head to the side like a dog, that insipid smile stuck on it's face.  The Duke's mustaches twitched, and he narrowed his eyes, but he continued on in as pleasant a tone as he could muster. 

"Of course, we'll find you room and board.  But you must understand it might well be below the station of one such as... such as..."  He frowned, trying to see on the sparse clothing a rank, an insignia, an anything.  "Sir, just why are you here?"

The elf's eyes rolled back, his mouth widening in silent laughter.  It continued to widen, his jaw stretching as hands clasped at his stomach, holding back the silent chortles. 

It continued to widen, stretching, the lips straining thin.  Eventually, the began to crack at the sides, splitting the skin upwards until it reached his tapered ears, the bones and tendons snapping and popping as it shifted to accommodate.  His cloak, a deep red, unfurled behind and stretched out to great lengths, and it was then the Duke saw that it wasn't a cloak - it was wings, great leathery bat wings, and with a single snap they locked open.  With the snap of a thousand cloaks being shaken out, every figure hidden in the dusk unfurled his own cloak, a thousand sets of wings, blocking out the raising rays of sunlight.

A long tongue, slathering, began to unroll from the Elf's mouth, the forked tip flickering.  In horror, the Duke looked up and saw blackness where the eyes had once been, twin pits of inkiness - no, it was ink - blackness dribbling down the sockets, running from the corners of it's mouth, dribbling to sizzle and pop on the sands.  It brought it's hands up to it's chest and made a small circle with cracked, misshapen fingers.  And it whispered two words, the sounds of hundred year old parchment crackling before crumbling to dust.

"Olsmo.  Lives."
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:07:09 pm by Stravitch »

quip

• Bay Watcher
  • ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: March 31, 2011, 02:32:13 pm »

Uh. Oh.
Hell hath no fury like an angry vampire pimp.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: March 31, 2011, 02:44:33 pm »

how will they survive this?
Quite fucked indeed.

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: March 31, 2011, 02:47:01 pm »

Part 2:

"PUT YER' BACKS IN IT, MY HEARTIES!" Rinsesilver yelled from the edge of the bridge.  "My lovelies, break yer' backs at the oars.  Bend yer'self in half with the load; Let me see the sweat on thine brow... we don't have much longer before our Quarry is lost to us."

The Fishers were a bustle of activity, half from fear of the war on the outskirts, and half from fear of Rinsesilver.  She had a lash at her side, and the few that weren't hauling the chests of gems and coins were given a hard slice the service end of the leather. 

"Ya' want ta' keep your hides and yer riches?  Take them below the waves my mates, take them on, and hurry!  I can hear the gears a turnin' below, that blond bastard is going to seal the hall!

<<<HERE IS WHERE FLAK LEFT OFF>>>

The Fishers went below into the domes.  It was not long before the heavy gates had closed with a loud clang.  The gears stopped their turning.  The bolt had slid him.  The Domes were closed for business.

The Dwarves were fighting for their lives as Olsmo and his minions tore through their ranks.  Fire erupted from the demon hosts mouths, setting even the sands briefly on fire before they cooled into cracked red glass.  Merkil had lost his left hand, his right gripping tightly at the stump to try and stop himself from bleeding out.  Demons bursting from the skins of elf and men stalked about, shattering the spears of the spearmen's squad, crushing the hammermen's chests. 

He was surprised to see Adol charge into the mess, his ornate hammer swinging like the hand of Armok himself.  He was even more surprised when his friend brought down two of the demons by himself.  Their heads exploded like ripe watermelons hit with rifle fire, sticky white and green goo splattering their headless corpses.  But it was not long before one had set him on fire, and even though it lost both wings from Maggargs sword, it still managed to set his beard on and he went screaming from the battle.

Merkil was beginning to black out as the demons came ever closer, but he was surprised when a blackened blur streaked over head, followed by another, and another, slamming into the surprised monsters stalking him. 

"It can't... be..." before he passed out from blood loss.

Inside the domes all hell had broken loose.  it seemed that the seals had not been set properly.  The welding done poorly.  Maybe even some of the glass in it's haste had been cracked before being hastily and shoddily shoved into it's housing.  The Dwarves were screaming as low creaking was heard through all the domes.  Glass was cracking slowly up the sides.  the water continues to fill the quarry, and the pressure continued to mount.

Rinsesilver let out a scream but it was cut off as one wall of glass burst open.  The lower halls were flooded quickly with water.  The magma forges went silent as they turned to obsidian.  In her last breath Rinsesilver cursed the very gods for the incompetence that surrounded this fortress.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: March 31, 2011, 03:06:53 pm »

Whoops. How'd water get into the domes?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: March 31, 2011, 03:25:51 pm »

I'm guessing another one of Flaks amazing water jobs.  I think he might have missed a few placements here and there and the jobs never came back up before he released the water.  His lever to turn on the water works just fine...unfortunately I haven't been able to stop water coming in haha.  Let's hope for the best as I trudge along!

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: March 31, 2011, 04:29:33 pm »

I must somehow find time to read the full tale of this magnificent fort.  Please keep up the awesome!

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: March 31, 2011, 04:58:03 pm »

Part 3:

Stravitch stood on the roof of his Poison Temple, his armor made entirely of cats.  He was screaming at the skies, his hands lifted to the heavens, his beard a mess of frothy rum and vomit. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Demons were marching on the fortress but more importantly they were marching on his temple, and his hidden supplies of booze and roasts and foxes and gold teeth.  With a roar of absolute rage, he brought his hands down, and the heavens exploded with thunderous lightening that struck down ten of the demons in one blast.  Laughing, he pointed his finger at another band, and a dozen small, dark-clad figured swarmed over them, burying them under shrill screams and flailing limbs. 

Stravitch laughed hard, and everywhere he pointed his terrible finger, dark shapes engulfed the demons and buried them, smiting them from the earth.

In impotent rage Aryn Estetar rushed to the very tip top of his green glass lighthouse.  Everything was falling apart around him, everything was out to get him.  Even through the water he could hear them gnashing at his heels.  They were destroying his fortress!  They were destroying everything he had built! 

Pulling at a series of levers, the great yellow light-house crystal slowly began to sink into the housing.  With a dull rumble, the top of the lighthouse began to lift into the air as it detached itself from the rest.  Small metal legs folded up underneath, and a fitted glass dome slid into place over-top of the entire contraption. 

Into the air it floated until it reached its cruising height, and there it hovered.  Aryn manipulated the levers as he screamed at the frothing sea below him, and the fire in the distance. 

"You've beaten me again Dr. Fillwhip, you and your robot Grovs!  But I'll get you!  I'll get you all!  MWA HA HA HA HA!" 

And with that he flew off towards his skull shaped laboratory embedded in the side of a mountain that was also guarded by eight unique tentacle-demon masters.

"You did it, Grovs!" Stravitch cried jubilantly.  "You destroyed Dr. Aryn's evil castle and stopped his army of brainwashed demon hosts!"

"We couldn't have done it without you" All thousand Grovs said in unison.  They blanketed the sands, and dimmed the sun as they rose higher upon the hills in the distance.  No stone or sand could be seen under them, for it was a sea of flesh.  It was a sea.  Of Grovs.

"I want you to know you were my greatest of creations, for I sired every one of you.  With Mookie.  And the rest of the whores.  And also the girls that weren't whores.  And from the very sands, because I'm so potent you grew from rocks."

"YES!  YES WE DID!  HA!  HA!  HA!  HA!  HA!"

And Stravitch laughed with them, before everything faded out into sunset. 

THE END

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: March 31, 2011, 05:10:41 pm »

Huh, I didn't expect Migrursut to end like this so early. I would have expected at the very least that it would last another day.

Who drew those masterpieces?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

powpow

• Bay Watcher
  • (UTC+10:00) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: March 31, 2011, 06:09:13 pm »

wah he must of been lonley in that temple all by himself to get rock pregnant or just very *proative*

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: April 01, 2011, 07:16:26 am »

Huh, I didn't expect Migrursut to end like this so early. I would have expected at the very least that it would last another day.

Look at the date.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: April 01, 2011, 07:32:23 am »

Look at the date.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU------
i fell for it  :'( i should have suspected someting when stravich smithed the demons (ok i didnt belive in the robot)
Quite fucked indeed.
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 189