Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 374258 times)

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #2610 on: May 16, 2011, 12:55:48 pm »

We should sell Grovs at firesale prices.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: May 19, 2011, 08:41:13 pm »

The Events of the 27th of Sandstone, 1075

Soft shoes padded across well-worn stone floor.  A faint whisking, of plain brown robes rustling against the ground.  Maester Kuli clasped his hands in front of him, the simple gesture both religious and pleading.  His officers, Vash and Jools, trailed to his sides, their faces set into stony masks. 

"I gather you here today, my flock, for a simple message, a hopefully idea; a single word: Now.  Now, fellow Dwarves, now, citizens, now, members of our great and crumbling empire.  Now.  It is time for us to stand, and for our voices to join together as one, and for our very will to be heard.
"I do not ask for violence - never would I ask for that.  I ask for acceptance, and I ask for understanding - and I ask for strength.  For it is time - two more have died this week alone, both from starvation.  Their very life driven out from them, under the boot-heels of nobility, of..."

With that, Maester Kuli paused in his pacing, his gaze slowly swinging out along the faces of his gathered congregation.  His mouth worked silently, his tongue having turned to ash inside his mouth.  But eventually he worked up the saliva and he forced the words out, forced himself to continue on:

"Under the iron grips of evil men.  It is time, my flock, that we spread out our wings-"

"-and if they don't bow down to damn common sense we bash their fool heads in wit' a heavy length of iron bar, rob their liquor cabinet blind, and-"
"No, no, no!" Adol finally barked, giving Maggarg a hard punch in the shoulder.  Merkil was shaking his head in disgust; Even Likot seemed to be regarding him in unfavorable light - though just what expression could be made from her was only due to the slight hunch of her shoulders.  Merkil eventually rested his hand on the great head of his warhammer, and gestured out across the courtyard, stories below their perch in the observation tower.

"Do you see that?" He said, his voice a low growl.  "They look like the victims of torture.  You see how their shoulders are slumped?  Their ribs are showing?  How many don't even have a damned shirt to wear!  It's inexcusable, and we - we four - " and after a brief pause, glancing to the set of wide eyes and broad horned helm peering over the lip of the window, " - we five - have stood by and watched it go on, saying to ourselves that it would pass.  Another bout of insanity, another group that would eventually leave, another hurdle to jump.
"We have waited too long, and others have suffered!  We keep the sands free from those stalking bones, we protect against invaders and cradle robbers, but we let evil fester in our own ranks.  Enough.  It ends!  We need to take a stand, and demand-"

"-that we no longer be worked until our fingers bleed and our backs break from the hauled stones of tyranny."

Sitting in a circle around a moth-eaten rug, all eyes watched Rice.  He was slim, and jittery, one hand fidgeting with his tattered jacket, the other holding tightly to Lucy's hand.  She looked up at him, her eyes full of love, and hope - and most importantly - belief.

"We walk out, and it's as simple as that.  They can punish me, they have many times.  I've spent months in the Black Cells - it's no longer a fear, it's just inevitable.  None of us should fear that, not if we band together.  You, of the smith's!  And you, Lucy, with your engineers.  The planters, the cooks, the brewers, the masons.  The Stone workers.  The miners.  We walk.  We all walk, and we stay in our rooms.  If there is no work, there is no money, and if there is no money, no power, what do they have? 
"Nothing - nothing to control us.  And with that, we finally have a something to negotiate.  If we band together, friends, if we band together-"

"-Just who do you think will stop us, my lovelies?  My little pikes?  Who will be sniffing round these parts when we are so obviously in charge, eh?  Who?" 

Rinsesilver placed a hand under the chin of one of her brawny dockworkers, lifting his head to meet his shifty gaze.  After a moment of pause, she gave him two hard pats on the cheek, flashing her new metal-worked grin. 

"We take over.  We've got all we can, and I don't know about all of ya', my wee-ones, my little charges, but I for one don't like the thought of limping out into a large and scary world, one crumbling 'bout the tattered ears of the previous establishment.  Instead, we finally take our rightful places here.  We bump the mangy old bastard out, we throw the Duke and his cronies to our friends Mr. Magma and Mr. Water.  We stop tiptoeing in the shadows like timid little jackdaws, fluttering 'bout the grains left in the wake of the larger birds. 
"Ya hear me, my fine dandies?  Ya' hear the little ores of truth I'm dredging from the bogs?   We band together, and we march side by side, and we throw our nets and swing our gaffs, and you know what we'll be hauling in?  The biggest bounty any Dwarf has seen, from coast to blood-drenched coast!  We make sure that our arms-"

"-Are heavy with the burdens we shoulder from our lives.  It is a sad, sad thing, little poppets.  A sad thing indeed, when you look out before you, and all you can see?  All you can see are tiny things that can be easily crushed between the treads of your boots, and between two thick fingers."

Silence filled the whorehouse, as every fisher turned a wide eye to the towering form of Sgt. Pepper.  He loomed in the doorway, the slab of stone dangling off a single remaining hinge, the rest creaking ominously.  As he towered in, they could see a light behind the green glass ports of his mask, a flickering, a dreadfire - something unnatural burning.  With deliberation he set a bleached skull down upon a table, turning it so the sockets could stare at Rinsesilver. 

"There are many things I should have done in life - and there are many more I should have done in my SECOND.  Now?  Ha!  Ha ha... now what I have is a single desire... and I'm sure you know what that is, Fishers.  You see my pretty little bride?  You see her there?
"She's here to watch.  Because I couldn't bring down Aryn, and later, I couldn't be bothered with you and your petty games.  I let Johnny slip through my hands.  I let Archin get locked in the cells... and now?  You're an example.  I can smell your souls, and they stink of pitch - you'll see the same fate as I, I promise, unless I deem to burn your carcasses and save you from a re-birth.  Draw steel, Fishers!  Draw steel, deadmen!
"

Sgt. Pepper unslung his battleaxe, and with a roar, drove the blade through the stone floor.  It rang as loud as a thunderclap, the blade buried to the long haft.  He held his hands out before him, fingers spread, and slowly closed them into fists as broad as pile-driving irons.

"Draw steel.  If you don't, I'll just kill you slower."

CrackFile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: May 19, 2011, 09:36:00 pm »

This is awesome. After such a cinematic buildup I can't wait to see what happens next.
Decency and Logic have been struck down

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: May 19, 2011, 09:51:47 pm »

Wuh oh. Things are getting tense.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: May 20, 2011, 10:25:12 am »

Daaaaamn...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: May 20, 2011, 11:21:09 am »

Dude this can only be awesome

powpow

• Bay Watcher
  • (UTC+10:00) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: June 04, 2011, 08:15:20 am »

EPIC the end is near

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: June 05, 2011, 09:26:39 pm »

The Events of the 6th of Timber, 1075

Hikan pressed the palms of his hand against his eyes, pressing hard until all he saw were red/yellow lights dancing in the blackness.  Sucking in a deep breath, he let his hands drop, just as the rest of him dropped onto one of the few still-constructed chairs in the room.  All around him was blood, the floors slicked with it, the tables smeared and sticky.  Even the ceiling had not been spared, little stalactites of clotted red hanging from the stone tiling. 

Resting against the busted bar, Szondi had his death-mask pulled halfway up his face, drinking frothy ale from a cracked stone mug.  Makrond rested on his knees, wheezing, pushing his finger into the head smashed flat against the floor.

"Do you have to show up everywhere in costume, you freak?  It's daytime, it's normal hours, for normal Dwarves."

"Hhhnk.  Not a costume.  Just take off your face; Then talk."
"Whore-son," Hikan growled, but he was silenced by Makrond's blood-smeared hand coming to rest on his arm. 

"We're here... to help you look at this... murder scene.  Not fight."

Gritting his teeth, Hikan looked.  Oh, did he ever.  The scene was an absolute disaster; outside of the battlefield, it was one of the worst massacres he had seen.  There wasn't much investigating to be done, really.  Rinsesilver'd head was broken in half like a mellon, her intestines strewn across her legs and spooling out to the floor.  Beside her, buried in the stone, was a massive single-bladed axe - untouched from the blood, except where the spreading pool had kissed the iron edge.

"What do... we tell... the Mistress?"
"Hmm?"  Hikan looked up, his hollow eyes ringed with deep circles of black.  "The truth, I suppose.  What else can we say?  I don't think anyone will mind these conspiring vultures having been slaughtered, but knowing one of our soldiers did it..." 

He couldn't bring himself to say Sgt. Pepper.  Hikan didn't find himself intimidated by anyone in the fortress, but the muscle-bound corpse would give anyone in the fortress pause.  If he was taking out the bad-guys, more power to him.  But if he was going to start laying open the citizens?  If he was going to bring his fists against Aryn...

Gritting his teeth again, Hikan, pinched the bridge of his nose, his headache throbbing like mad.  "I'll get Dodik and Mookie in here, they can clean up their own whore-house.  Makrond, help me keep them calm.  Szondi, you freak, get outa' here before someone catches us with you!"

"THIS ASSEMBLY IS OVER!" DukeInkysears roared.  His prodigious bulk had more swagger to it than normal.  The months he had spent here at this fortress - still alive, even - had filled him with much more grandeur and arrogance than even normal nobility.  He had survived!.  Longer than nearly any that had been sent out to this horrible pit of death.  His wife trailed behind him, all ruffles and lace and up-turned nose.  To his right strode the form of the Hammerer, all sleek and sharp angles.   Lurking in the back was Wallgirders, leering and snapping at the congregation.   

Kuli, his arms raised to his side in mid-sermon, stopped talking.  A small frown spread over his face, a little flicker, only for a second, before it was wiped away by his standard serenity. 

"If you would like to come back later, Sirs, Lady, you may, but for now-"

"We're here with punishments!" the Duke's voice rang out like a whip crack.  "The list has been growing again; after the last round, well... I thought we would have learned, but everyone here has... been too busy at their little meetings to see the light, it seems.  Hammerer?" 

The Hammerer strode forward, boot heels clacking on the mosaic floor.  He kept his hand on his weapon of office, and all but Kuli and his officers instinctively cringed back.  The Duke, the nobility in his blood showing through, couldn't resist a smile.  Standing at rest near the podium, the Hammerer waited patiently for his orders - unconcerned at the murmurs around him. 

"You are more than welcome to stay for the sermon," Kuli said evenly, "But please, stay silent.  Your arrests?  Your punishments?  Can wait, while we finish our-"
"Hammerer!  TWO STROKES!"

In a blink of an eye, the great steel hammer was swinging.  The huge head cracked Kuli in the shoulder, and gasping in sharp, broken-boned shock, he doubled over to clutch at the shattered clavicle.  The second stroke hit him in the center of the back, and with a sickening splinter of bones, the Maester crumpled to the floor, writhing in pain.

In the shouting turmoil, the Duke's proclamation that the Maester hadn't fulfilled his metalworking duties vanished.  Instead he was sprinting to the door, his wife shrieking as they were pelted with tools, with rocks, with shoes, with anything that could be lifted.  The Hammerer, his teeth bared, was fending off a flurry of sword-slashes from an absolutely livid Jools.  Tripped up by an angry miner, the Hammerer was finally able to break and vanish out the door. 

By himself on the bridge, watching the riot swell, hearing the screams and the shouts for a Dojango and a stretcher, Wallgirders felt his face would split in half at the size of his smile.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: June 05, 2011, 09:40:07 pm »

Hey, cool, Hikan.

Whoa, you had nobility that lived for more than a year? Wow, what a feat.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: June 06, 2011, 07:28:53 am »

Instead he was sprinting to the door, his wife shrieking as they were pelted with tools, with rocks, with shoes, with anything that could be lifted.  The Hammerer, his teeth bared, was fending off a flurry of sword-slashes from an absolutely livid Jools.  Tripped up by an angry miner, the Hammerer was finally able to break and vanish out the door. 

Is this a tantrum spiral, or merely literary licence?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: June 06, 2011, 11:33:16 am »

Wow, I figured Dodik was dead by now
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: June 06, 2011, 02:28:07 pm »

Instead he was sprinting to the door, his wife shrieking as they were pelted with tools, with rocks, with shoes, with anything that could be lifted.  The Hammerer, his teeth bared, was fending off a flurry of sword-slashes from an absolutely livid Jools.  Tripped up by an angry miner, the Hammerer was finally able to break and vanish out the door. 

Is this a tantrum spiral, or merely literary licence?

Literary license.  Kuli was indeed Hammered again, the, what?  Fourth?  Fifth time for him now?  He's resilient.  Though with his legendary stats he's recovering a lot faster than most Dwarves.  Also, two isn't THAT bad when you look at some Dwarves getting like, 30 at a time.

But as far as tantrums go, it might be building to that point.  There are a lot of unhappy Dwarves in the fortress - the ones that are still working.  There's a good forty or so now that are jobless and partying.  Filthy bourgeois overworking the proletariat masses... the Bearded Uprising will occur, even if the larders are full of cat-cakes and the rivers run red with wine...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: June 06, 2011, 06:39:58 pm »

It's amazing the place has gone on this long without a tantrum spiral, really.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: June 13, 2011, 09:09:37 am »

:O

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: June 17, 2011, 03:10:28 pm »

Oh, don't worry. This is a dwarven fortress. They all end in despair, starvation, misery, violence and death. Some of 'em just take longer than others...and it's those ones that are all the more entertaining when they do fail.

What year have we reached, by the way?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:14:58 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 189