Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 374015 times)

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Do Demons Dream? (A Community Fort)
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »

Put them in a room and wall them in. The one that survives the longest shall become my replacement - make sure you can poor lava into said room to remove the excess...

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »

From the Journal of Johnny Fountainspring
1st of Timber

While bringing Sgt. Pepper, his squad, and their belongings inside, the dread-camels Planklances and Cradleunions set upon poor Istrath's young wife.  I'm of the full belief that she would be dead as well, if the beasts didn't make the mistake of targeting her child.  She said she blacked out, but according to our sole recruit who came rushing to her aid, she had destroyed Cradleunions head and was dancing out of the way of Planklances, leaving the recruit to finish it off with the hammer we bought from the merchants.

It seems Aryn Estetar has a much better go at trading.  We got almost ten barrels of booze, dozens of hunks of salted meats, TWO anvils and a well-made hammer.  None too soon; while our recruit was finishing the dread-camels, I secreted a good number of Lucy's mechanisms up and made some trades of my own.  These plump helmets and beer will be placed into my own personal stock, for safe keeping.

Aryn, it seems, is just as nervous about defense as I am.  Rice, more knoweldgable in how defenses SHOULD work drafted plans with Lucy for a thick wall around our entrance.  Aryn has delegated our labor, and construction has begun at once.  

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2008, 05:20:00 pm »

From the files of Aryn Estetar
11th of Timber, 1052

Status: The aquaducts are coming along well, and so is our first level of defense around the fort.  I've been discussing with Lucy another project that I feel will increase our hygiene - something sorely needed.  

Works: In commemoration of Sgt. Pepper, I took it upon myself to craft a mug, which will stay forever empty in his memory.  I call it Moltendredge, and it's made of garnierite, and adorned with hanging rings of Garnierite and spikes of pyrite.  I engraved on it, in gabbro, images of longland grass to symbolize the home he left.

Census: 39 Dwarves
Word of our success is branching out, and more bodies have arrived, ready to be plied.  We have received:  
Mason
4 Peasants
Wood Burner
Thresher
Stoneworker
Planter
Bowyer

Now, to see how they can best serve us.

[ March 24, 2008: Message edited by: Heavy Flak ]

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2008, 05:36:00 pm »

may i take the new mason?   name Vugor for male, Valania for female?

very interesting stuff so far

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »

Events of the 1st of Moonstone, 1052

"Oh Lenod be praised, you can't possible be telling me we've stopped craft production again?"
"I'm sorry, sir," Stravitch said.  Their pace was less than hurried, boot-falls muted on the newly smoothed hallway.  "But, well, you did do something quite similar..."
Aryn rolled his eyes, "That was different.  That was commemorative, it was in HONOR of someone.  But this?  Just a nussiance."

Aryn pushed the door open to the workshop, stepping inside.  Sitting behind the crafts bench was one of the newly designated recruits, tired and drenched in sweat.  "Look," he croaked, and held up his masterpiece - A basalt bracelet.  It was encrusted with sunstones and garnierite, and studded and encircled with nickle.  In the basalt was carved images of dwarves traveling.  "I call it, uh, Sectriddles."

Pinching the bridge of his nose between his fingers, Aryn let out a soft sigh, "It's spectacular, but I'm going to need to hang a sign up or something.  No more commandeering these shops!  Just... get back to the barracks.  I'll have a button made for your uniform to commemorate this..."

4th of Moonstone, 1052

Notes: I've had the pleasure of meeting one of our newest masons, a Ms. Valania Riftlash, from the west.  While touring the recent editions I couldn't help but notice the skill with which she was constructing our defensive walls.  I see good things in her future, so long as she stays away from certain dwarves...

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »

Events of the 24th of Opal, 1052

Johnny and Stravitch sat on the edge of the cliff, taking a break from the aquaducts construction.  They watched the workers down below hauling stone, building floors and walls to extend the channel northwards towards the off-limits brook.  

Stravitch pointed into the distance, towards the dread camels frolicking on the scorching sand, and said, "It really is starting to look like winter."
"Whatta'ya talkin' about?  Winter?"
"Yeah.  Look at them, they're actually wearing some skin this time.  Must be getting a little cold."

Johnny stared at the camels for a few moments, before they both erupted in laughter.  He clapped Stravitch on the shoulder amicable, "I'm glad ya' showed up, chief.  I'm gunna' be needin' yer help 'ere shortly."
"Of course, I sent a letter back with the traders, so we should be-" he was silenced by a shadow growing over them.  
"Down to the mess hall!  We have a meeting!  Grab the other masons and hurry!"

Aryn paced before the assembled mass of Dwarves, his eyes narrowed.  Lucy stood behind him, shifting nervously from foot to foot.  When the last of the stragglers took a seat he began to talk.

"I'm extremely disappointed in the whole lot of you.  When that ass Staketaxed came back to trade, he was greeted by dozens of filthy Dwarves hauling goods we expected him to buy, covering them in mud or vomit or... blood, where ever THAT came from. It took some smooth talking but I convinced him it was worth his while.  
"Because of that, I've designed a new project for us to work on during the aquaducts assembly.  Lucy, show the designs, please."

Lucy stepped forward, unfolding the papers in front of her, holding them up for the crowd to see:

"As you can see," She began, "this will work on a simple pressure-plate system.     Each room will be fitted with a ceiling hatch.  Entering a room releases a soothing, and cleansing, shower of fresh water upon the occupant.  Once water has accumulated to a reasonable level the hatch will shut.  We're left with a clean fortress."

"Good.  Miners?  Get to work digging.  Kuli, when you and your team finish with smelting down the nickel ore you're to help the glass makers with flood gates.  Everyone!  To work!"

As the miners shuffled out, grumbling under their breaths, Kuli approached the front of the mess hall.  Taking off his cap and holding it in his hands he said, "Sir?  I'd like to talk to you about something of some importance..."

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »

1st of Granite, 1053

Kuli has been making inane demands of me lately.  As leader of the metal workers' team he does indeed hold a certain amount of sway with our group but to request - however humbly he tried to make it - a temple constructed where he may worship Zefon!  That's pushing the limits of my charity!  

Had it not been due to his hammer that we had buckets to heal wounded soldiers, I would have pushed his request off completely.  But as ... some of our number ARE Zefonists, it might help with their moral.  But I won't be carving him a temple, no, he can worship above ground.  That is good enough for any God.

Census: 40 Dwarves (1 new birth)
Blueprints: The current lay of the fortress.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

From the Journal of Johnny Fountainspring
9th of Slate

Aryn has gone ballistic and none of our attempts have calmed him down.  It was a surprise to all that the camels loitering outside our walls were actually alive.  We released the draw bridge and sent a miller with no work out to bring some in.  With the gate down, a goblin secreted himself inside.

His name is Olngo Matongom, and we know this because he left behind a card where the child Zefon was once staying.  Now the fortress is plastered with posters, a sillouted goblin with hands outstretched, large block lettering reading CONSTANT VIGILANCE or TO NOT BE AWARE IS TO HELP THE ENEMY.

Personally, I don't care about these brats.  This is no place for children.  I just hope Aryn's recent spurt of power doesn't go to his head.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2008, 07:24:00 pm »

27th of Slate

Census: 57
Everyone here is under suspicion.  They're all so lax in their duties, and our security is really hindered by their careless attitude with doors, with their jobs, with patrols.  On top of that Rice has been elected Mayor - ELECTED! - in what I'm sure is a rigged election.  We've recently seen an increase of 15 more bodies.  Wonderful, more mouths to feed, bodies to keep warm.  One of them brought a mule named Taxmachine.  Is he a spy from the Mountain Homes?  Are they testing the waters?  The aquaducts need to be finished soon, there are other projects to start...

New bodies:
Dyer
Craftsdwarf
Trapper
Woodcutter
2 Peasants
Cook
Tanner
Butcher
Animal Trainer
Animal Caretaker
2 Woodworkers
Ranger
Cheese Maker
1 Mule named Taxmachine

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2008, 08:07:00 pm »

I love how Kuli is so religious.

All praise be to Zefon.

"The power of Zefon compels you!"

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2008, 01:08:00 am »

Can I claim the new woodcutter?

Call him Sular (or Sulari if female) and draft him against the menace of the Dread Camels. Death to the humped scourge! Their hour of reckoning draws closer, with every breath they fail to take!

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2008, 08:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kuli:
<STRONG>I love how Kuli is so religious.

All praise be to Zefon.</STRONG>

I have to admit, I probably wouldn't be taking him in that direction at all, but your comment about being a born-again Zefonist was too good to pass up.  

quote:
Originally posted by bigmcstrongmuscle:
<STRONG>Can I claim the new woodcutter?

Call him Sular (or Sulari if female) and draft him against the menace of the Dread Camels. Death to the humped scourge! Their hour of reckoning draws closer, with every breath they fail to take! </STRONG>

You got it pardner, I'll have him named and posted when I get home from work.  Exuberance like that for cleansing our land will take you far in the army!

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »

So are you going to build the temple?  It seemed kind of ambiguous since Aryn doesn't want to make the temple but he doesn't want to ignore Kuli's request either.  I'd love to see some sort of temple made, though I don't know how one could design it to reflect the idea of "rebirth."

When it comes to temples, generally I just make a sacrificial altar consisting of menacing spikes hooked up to a lever and set to repeat.  Works for the god of murder, but not so much for rebirth.

quote:
the child Zefon

We must save this child!  With a name like that, he must be our messiah!  Did the goblin get away with him?

"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2008, 04:00:00 pm »

Events of 15th of Hematite, 1053

The ground was littered with the corpses of goblins, limbs and blood littering the ground.  A group of four goblins, led by a vicious hammerer tried to sneak into the fortress gates behind a large human caravan hauling goods.  As far away as they were, they went unnoticed by the stout guards inside.

They did not go unnoticed by the humans outside.  

Tista Pigbreaches and Unbeh Aceyelled exchanged a quick glance while sauntering towards the small, screaming goblins.  They're form was excellent, and stiffling a yawn, Unbeh swung his axe in great yawing arcs, cleaving off an arm, a second arm, and finally a head.  Tista jabbed his spear through the hammerer's head, and calmly jogged after the last sword carrier, spearing him through the heart.  Their work done, they sauntered back towards the wagon, talking of a barmaid they've both known in Stramgil.

Aryn - having been alerted to the commotion outside, arrived at the grizzly seen at the same time as Sulari, one of the newest fort denizens was making her way to the front gates for the first time.  Her look of horror at the carnage went unnoticed by the fortress's manager, who walked close to clap her on the shoulder, steering her towards the entrance.

"That was some fine work you did out there, miss.  Fine work indeed."
"But I ... I didn't even, they were..." Sulari stammered
"Nonsense.  You're axe is streaked with blood!  No need to be so humble."
"What?  No, I was dragging it, and-"
"Of course, killing four of those baby thieving bastards would make anyone tired.  Head down to the barracks and let those louts under Fikod know you're in charge of the squad.  With more dwarves like you, we'll have no fear of death!"

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2008, 04:06:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>So are you going to build the temple?  It seemed kind of ambiguous since Aryn doesn't want to make the temple but he doesn't want to ignore Kuli's request either.  I'd love to see some sort of temple made, though I don't know how one could design it to reflect the idea of "rebirth."</STRONG>

I'm going to try, but it might not be the biggest, or most standard, of temples.   I've got some ideas of how to properly reflect "rebirth", you'll have to wait until it's done!

quote:
<STRONG>We must save this child!  With a name like that, he must be our messiah!  Did the goblin get away with him?</STRONG>

Turns out that goblin is the Local leader / Master Thief of his town, and yeah, he out ran everyone and bolted off the map's edge.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 189