Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 369520 times)

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #2475 on: October 04, 2010, 01:40:28 pm »

Crispen cancels eat:  seeking baby.

"Uhh, Honey, can you move your feet--I think it's down there somewhere on your side of the table. . . no, wait. . . watch where you're stepping!  I'll just follow pull on this cord 'til I find it. . ."
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

CrackFile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: October 04, 2010, 07:05:40 pm »

Finally my checking this thread almost every day like a crackhead has paid off.
Decency and Logic have been struck down

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: October 05, 2010, 09:16:33 am »

you've got to start using your "Show new replies to your posts"

Also, glad to have you back HF
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: October 05, 2010, 08:15:48 pm »

you've got to start using your "Show new replies to your posts"

Also, glad to have you back HF

This is what I do.

Also glad to have you back! I miss the updates, but life can be ... stressful

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: October 05, 2010, 09:19:00 pm »

I just bug the hell out of him about when the next update is.

CrackFile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: October 07, 2010, 12:49:55 am »

I don't mess around with forum sorcery, I just check the first couple of pages to see if the thread has been bumped recently.

If I start taking shortcuts I'd never get around to checking out new interesting threads anyway.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: October 07, 2010, 10:16:20 pm »

From the files of Aryn Estetar
1st of Granite, 1074

<This page was not included in Aryn's journal, but was instead found wedged between the small waste bin and his dresser.  It is only half a sheet.  The top half was crudely ripped away; the remaining bit appears to have been lit briefly and is scorched and blackened>

The actual work is taking an eternity. No matter how fast the Dwarves are whipped, no matter how much I take from them.  I have pulled Dwarves from the masonry shops - what do we need for stones to be dealt with?  No more jewelry will be made within these walls until my damned domes are complete!  No more statues, unless they are of green glass!  No more commemorative coins shall be minted with my furnaces!  NO MORE.  NO MORE!

<a single bloody fingerprint is smeared along the border, followed by a crude sketch of the latest fortress blueprints>

Nobility is in turmoil; The merchants are trying to keep it a secret from the Dwarves topside, but two of the mountain homes have fallen to the green hordes.  The elves, too... we're becoming the last of the free beings in this part of the land.  A sea of green awaits those to the west, and the north.

A sea of green awaits us.  Glass, and water, and protection.  The nobility should have listened to me.  Perhaps the Elves will give up their ways and join us in the depths... perhaps only the elves should come to the depths... they've listened to me in the past, and a future with only a bunch of roughnecks, of simple dirty laborers... of no real art, of no real culture, of no real progress... is depressing. 

CrackFile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: October 08, 2010, 03:07:29 pm »

The old dome's finally coming together, but at the cost of the safety and sanity of the dwarves involved.

Smells like dwarf fortress.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: October 11, 2010, 10:35:29 pm »

Rice's Journal
Sometime in Granite 1074

It's been far too long since I've written here. What little time I have I slave away for Aryn and his madness. The world around us crumbles as does Migrursut. I've come to hate him. More and more, day by day I hate him all the more. But there is no sanity anywhere else. I've heard the rumors and they fill my heart with darkness. It's not safe anywhere and the domes may be our only hope. I swore I would leave this place when they were finished, but where would I go now? I can't fight, I'd be swallowed by the darkness that waits beyond the sands. But staying here would kill my soul.
A dwarf should do nothing but what he thinks is right. I've always been sure. I've always known. Now doubt engulfs me, I cannot see the right path. Maybe I do know. Maybe I'm just tired of doing the right thing and watching it all burn down anyway. Maybe one dwarf isn't enough to change the world. Times like these make me wish I was a more religious dwarf.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: October 17, 2010, 11:00:31 pm »

"OH NO!  Please, please, don't!"
"Go on!" bellowed the wagon guard.  "Go on, no, ya' foul purple-cloaked thief, git!  Git outa here."

He gave the Duke Momuz Inkysears a hard kick to the back, and the rotund noble toppled from the back of the wagon.  He landed in the sand hard, gasping as he inhaled sand and trying to hold back the sobs rising in his breast.  He could hear his wife's cry of pain as she was given the same treatment.  He rolled onto his back to see her laying in the sand, her body racked with uncontrolable shaking. 

The guard in the wagon gave a shout, and slapped his palm on the side.  As the wagon lurched he gripped the rail, widening his stance to keep from falling out.

"Wait," Duke Inkysears shouted, unable to control the terror in his voice.  "Wait!  Please, what are we to do?  What are we to do!"
"Ya' can die to the horrors in the sands, or ya' can go die at the hands of the Dread Fortress.  But it's because of yer ilk and it's folly that..." the guard, overcome with emotion, bellowed and hurled his helmet at the Duke.  He cringed away from it, whining as it careened off his elbow. 

"GET ON WITH YA!" the guard shrieked back.  "GET ON!  YOU AND YOUR KIND AIN'T LEAVING THESE WASTES EVER!  DIE AT THE HANDS OF THE MAD!"

The Duke and his Wife stood before the half-destroyed gate.  He felt numb as he stared at the rubble that once was a gate tower and the cracked draw bridge.  The stones of the road were worn and shattered, and he could see... oh, he could see pock marks where arrows had hit it.  Gouges were axes had struck it.  Stains where heads had been smashed into it.  The bridge was beginning to get stained red with the blood, having been washed with it for years.

He could see the gaunt figures of Dwarves milling about inside, hauling rocks and glass and mortar and barrels.  Most had a haunted look in their eyes.  Deep black circles as if they had not slept in weeks.  He could count the ribs on some, though they didn't seem to notice.  Many had patchy hair, their beards missing in clumps.  They were unwashed.

"I can't do this," his wife said.  "Turn back, please, let us turn back."

He looked behind him.  As far as the eye could see was red sand, hills, and withered shrubs.  Commanding it all was a glittering red monstrosity, towering spikes and foul red stones.  To leave the fortress was death.  This red marker lording over the sands proved that.

As he turned, he took his wife's hand in his and gave a squeeze for reassurance that he just didn't feel.  With his other, he pointed to the peaks of a temple, and of the pillar rising atop it, surrounded by statues of Dwarves in various stages of life. 

"Our only hope to survive is in there.  We... we have to step in.  We have to carry on, or we might as well just lay on the road and wither away."
"I'm scared."
"I am too.  Come on."

Quietly, hand in hand, they stepped across the bridge, and into their new home.  Into the place the remains of Dwarven Society referred to as "The Dread Fortress."

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: October 17, 2010, 11:14:02 pm »

Mid-summer for the duchess and late autumn for the duke.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: October 18, 2010, 11:52:44 am »

Hmmm. So, do your nobility just show up alone?

Stands to reason, I suppose, with all the death and horror and whatnot. Still, kind of amusing that they still show up at all.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: October 18, 2010, 03:23:07 pm »

Mid-summer for the duchess and late autumn for the duke.

HAHAHAHA.  <3

Anyone else want to take bets?  For the record, I'm going to try and keep these alive so factor that into your tallies.

Hmmm. So, do your nobility just show up alone?

Stands to reason, I suppose, with all the death and horror and whatnot. Still, kind of amusing that they still show up at all.

They do, actually.  No retainers, no guards, the only others that might show up are also nobility.  That they are the only ones that show up... maybe the other Mountainhomes just don't want the blood on THEIR hands, ya' know?

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: October 18, 2010, 03:30:26 pm »

Migrursut, a civilization's equivalent of a lever in a noble's room.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

CrackFile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: October 19, 2010, 06:37:21 pm »

With all that is happening in the world... Aryn's dreams to forge a dwarven paradise could also inadvertently be the salvation of the dwarven race.

I can see it now. A hundred years later, every mountainhome had long since fallen to the onslaught of the evolved goblins. Humans and elves keep to their territories, praying that the goblins don't become bored of living in mountains and occasionally raiding their caravans. Dwarven refugees were turned away for fear of aggravating the goblins, and their makeshift settlements were crushed.

Meanwhile, in the most dangerous desert in the world, dwarves not only survive but thrive in paradise. From the blood, sweat, and brilliance of dwarves that couldn't function in traditional dwarven society, the dream of Aryn finally fulfilled. They doubted him, they called him mad, they all died, and he succeeded.

Either that or the dome doesn't get done in time and dwarvenkind's last hopes are dashed as goblin attacks and political turmoil destroy the last dwarven civilization.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 189