Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 369561 times)

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile

1st Granite 

They’ve all been taken in by Aryn Estetar’s spell, though I really don’t see how anyone in the Mountain Homes could have resisted.  He’s spun such a great tale these past weeks.  An immigrant from the icy tundra’s far more North than our maps can show, Aryn Estetar’s slimmer frame stood taller than we mountain cousins.  His matted blonde hair and patchy beard always struck me as odd, but who am I to go against the blind masses, those enthralled with sweet words of rewards and hard work, of Utopia.

By the end of his stay at Stukos Matul he was giving speeches in the statue gardens almost twice daily, his already towering height accented by the tower-cap barrels he stood on.  He spoke at great length about what we were due, and how our hard work was only being used to line the pockets of an unjust and corrupt king.  A KING who would gladly let his servants – the engineers, the miners, the masons, the craftsmen - starve because he felt that everyone deserved a meal.  Not just those that couldn’t work, but those that wouldn’t.

Eventually Aryn’s ramblings filtered up through the usual channels, as they always did, until it caught the ear of Queen Rigoth Herself.  One morning as he started his first sermon he was interrupted by the clattering arrival of the Royal Guard.  A quite amicable offer was given to him: Leave immediately and you won’t be trussed and left to the goblin hordes gnashing at the border.  Those who agreed with his filth should leave the statue garden now – any talk of dissension would be quashed by the Hammerer.

The son of a wealthy merchant, Aryn arrived in the country of Stukos Matul with vast wealth.  This threat upon his life was all the catalyst needed.  Jumping down from his makeshift podium, Aryn pointed to the streets beyond and with a rallying cry shouted, “Then follow me, follow me to a new life!  We embark this evening!”

The turnout for his exodus was far less than expected.  We dwarves, though hardy, are slow to uproot from our homes and even less are willing to risk their lives at the whimsical lark of some rabble-rouser.  Only a scant few joined him for this trip.  Myself, having nearly exhausted my… sources of income, eagerly pledged allegiance to this idealist. If word of success returns home with this letter, Aryn’s new settlement could potentially be a massively untapped resource for an intelligent, enterprising dwarf!

As our Miner’s strength gave way, he lost his grip on the yolk of the wagon, the whole lot of remaining supplies digging a few more feet forward to embed in the dirt.  But Aryn Estetar didn’t mind at all.  Jumping down from the back of the wagon, he rushed to the edge of the cliff, staring over the scorched wasteland below.  His frame a slow shimmer from the heat, he raised his hands skywards and bellowed, “We have arrived.  Look!  Look upon your destiny!  Look upon your new hopes!  LOOK!  Upon our future!

We were put to work immediately at Aryn’s barking orders – dig out a makeshift series of shops, scrounge for food and brew drink, destroy the wagon to make beds.  The Mountain Homes have been bled dry from our kind, it is time we milked these exciting new venture.  Venture forth if you dare, but as soon as Gold is struck, I will be writing again.  I’ll need your help to haul it all home.

Faithfully yours,
Johnny Zefonkigok
Johnny Fountainspring
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 06:35:55 am by Heavy Flak »

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Do Demons Dream? (A Community Fort)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 05:33:00 pm »

Another in the always popular community fortresses.  Any important information will be added to this post.

Chapter 1: Utopia in the Wastes (Completed)
Chapter 2: Do Demons Dream? (Completed)
Chapter 3: Of Glass and Steel (Completed)
Chapter 4: Goodness is a Choice

----

Player-run Back stories:

Kuli
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Behind the Scenes

Artwork:
I'm including all artwork done here, to make it easier to find things people have done for this story.  These pictures are spoilers - some minor, some not.  If you're new, keep in mind these will be found as the story progresses, starting with Chapter 2: Do Demons Dream? 

Xofrevlis
Drawing 1
Drawing 2
Drawing 3
Drawing 4
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 09:22:11 pm by Heavy Flak »

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 06:53:00 pm »

Sgt. Pepper: The woodsman
Woodcutter: 7
Ambusher: 6
Axe dwarf: 7
Armor use: 6
Trapper: 6

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 06:57:00 pm »

Rice the mason/engraver
3 points mason
3 points engraver
Edit: Was that name really randomly generated? I mean of the boss dwarf. The talky one

[ March 19, 2008: Message edited by: ricemastah ]

Lucid_Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 09:51:00 pm »

Lucy the Engineer

Mechanic: 8
Siege Engineer: 8

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 11:56:00 pm »

Archin, Hackdwarf, Miner/Grower in whatever proportion you deem fit.

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Haven ]

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 06:57:00 am »

Finally, a community fortress that isn't filled up yet.

Kuli, Armorer

5 points to Armorsmith (Proficient, I think)
4 points to Weaponsmith (Skilled?)
1 point to Furnace Operator (Novice)

"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 07:40:00 am »

Very nice!  As soon as I get home from work I'll start this up and see where we get.  

quote:
Edit: Was that name really randomly generated? I mean of the boss dwarf. The talky one

Heh, no.  I've taken a small amount of creative liberty on the two names.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 06:56:00 pm »

From the Files of Aryn Estetar
Sgt. Pepper Chancedsteel has proven incredibly useful.  Since the loss of one of our supply wagons, it's been his Ax that has rebuilt our supply of wood on the trek south, and his experience on the Guard that has kept us safe.  

Rice Relicmastered is the epitome of Dwarven Culture, with both experience recording our exploits and his ingenuity, he should be a fine addition to our society.  It was to my chagrin that he was voted Expedition Leader, though I suppose one more suited for manual labor should be the one to lead us to our destination.

Lucy Hammertempests's engineering genius is marred only by her inability to follow instructions to the letter, deciding instead that her way is the best way.  This free will could prove troublesome

Archin Spunpillars ... Why would a Miner, one of the Dwarven Elite, trouble herself with such sundry tasks as horticulture?  Disturbing...

Kuli Problemwalled kept mostly to himself during our journey.  His accomplishments back in the Mountain Home couldn't be ignored, and his metalworks should prove a great asset in the future.

Johnny Fountainspring has shown himself to be useful to have around.  His occasional suggestions have proven incredibly profitable already.  He might be useful later as a member of my inner council.  

And a small profile on myself, to fill space:

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »

As happened on 2nd Granite, 1051

"Oh God, Dig!  DIIIIG!" screamed Johnny, hacking his pick into the wall with increased fervor.
"Oh Armok! What is that?  Grab picks, all of ya'!  Get away from the cliff!" Archin screamed.  

The Dwarves were alerted to something being amiss when the barking started the morning after the messengers headed for home.  Stirring from their bedrolls, Lucy was the first to spy the scuttling horror in the distance, the three dogs they had brought on their journey lying in a pile around it's feet, froth billowing out of their billowing mouths.  Stiffling a shriek, she pointed in it's direction, hissing, "Don't make a sound, don't bring it over here."

Everyone was up in seconds, hiding behind the wagon.  Though nervous, no one was particularly concerned; The beast was still far enough away it might pass without noticing them.  That was until Archin sucked in a breath, a shudder running through her.

"One of it's eye's is dangling out of it's head!.  It's... oh, it's rotting.  It's already dead," she said quietly.

The ensuing scramble drew it's attention, and in no time the dwarves were trapped inside the newly dug tunnel.  Aryn, Lucy, and Kuli darted for the second floor, with Johnny and Archin following closely behind.  Rice and Sgt. Pepper stood their ground at the base of the stairs, exchanging a quick glance as the chittering horror bore down on them.

Rice was the first to break the rank, charging the giant scorpion and barreling it over, beating at it with his fists.  Sgt. Pepper soon followed, swinging his ax at the dodging beast in wide arcs.  One swing caught the scorpion in it's front left leg, and the thin appendage was cleaved off, spraying him with a blackish ichor.

Hearing the commotion below, Archin grabbed Johnny by the cuff of his shirt and drug him down to the first floor before he could react, bringing them both into combat.  A moment of shock kept his feet planted, but soon Johnny was swinging his pick with Archin, stabbing great holes into the rotten armor along the creatures back.  With their picks, and Rice's fury over the loss of his dogs, they kept the scorpion distracted long enough for Sgt. Pepper to remove the front right leg from it's body - and bring the flat of the axe downwards on it's abdomin, splattering it across the cave floor.  

The dwarves stood around the corpse breathing hard.  Sgt. Pepper leaned on his ax, calmly wiping the gore off his face.  

"We need to wall the entrance off.  It's the only way to be safe for now," Kuli said.  The dwarves were milling about the newly dug store room on the second floor, occasionally glancing towards the stairwell.  

"We need to get the supplies in first, they'll go bad if we leave them out in that heat.  The meat will spoil," Archin said, her voice still a little shaky from the earlier encounter.  There was a roar of noise as everyone started talking at once, the din quieted with a bellow from the corner.  Aryn raised his hands high, signaling for silence.

"The supplies MUST come inside, there is no discussion.  You will all haul.  I will take tally of our inventory, and as soon as the last of the goods are inside... we will assess the situation anew.  Now hurry, I fear there may be more..."

The skeletal Jaguar surprised them all, and in that moment of shock Johnny was the one to suffer.  The beast clamped firmly onto his side and ripped out a chunk of dwarf flesh, the long fangs puncturing his liver.  Howling, Johnny beat at it's head and back, trying to get away.  

Sgt. Pepper dropped the wood he was carrying and charged passed Aryn, his ax held high.  Shouldering Lucy back behind him he brought the blade down once, then twice, severing the front from the back.  

"Do you see why we were hurrying?," snarled Aryn at the group of startled dwarves.  "Get the rest of supplies inside!  Now!"

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Heavy Flak ]

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 08:34:00 pm »

Sgt. Pepper is the messenger of the beatles brand of peace!

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 08:40:00 pm »

Oh god, zombie scorpions.

Can you post the deity entries?  I'm always curious to see them.  Besides, I want to make sure Kuli isn't worshipping a god of suicide or something.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 08:44:00 pm »

Not just zombie scorps : GIANT ZOMBIE SCORPS!

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 09:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kuli:
<STRONG>
Can you post the deity entries?  I'm always curious to see them.  Besides, I want to make sure Kuli isn't worshipping a god of suicide or something.</STRONG>

Since you asked so nicely:

Kuli and Rice worship Zefon -

Sgt. Pepper worships Akim Akimurist -

Lucy worships Limul Doren Oltar -

Johnny worships Neth Okin Shagog -

Archin worships Kerlig -

Aryn worships Lenod

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 09:35:00 pm »

Thanks for posting those, Heavy Flak.

God of rebirth, huh?  Does that mean Kuli is a born-again Zefonist?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 189