Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 369564 times)

God of Toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Do Demons Dream? (A Community Fort)
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 09:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Heavy Flak:
<STRONG>

Archin worships Kerlig -

</STRONG>

Why does a MALE dwarf take the form of a god of PREGNANCY?

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 09:58:00 pm »

The Journal of Johnny Fountainspring
22nd of Slate

That daft bugger Aryn has been working me – the whole lot of us! – like dogs ever since those two attacks.  A salve made of dwarf-piss, plump helmets and mud was slapped onto the gaping hole in my side, the stinking mess contained with a swath of silk wrapped around my middle.  Kuli said he’s seen worse, and Sgt. Pepper agreed, but they’re not the ones with a fist sized hole put in them from a skinless hellcat.  

Aryn has been holed up with Lucy in the corner of our workshop / kitchen / office for days now, going over plans for how we can survive this wasteland.  He’s already rubbed me the wrong way by ordering us to dig a separate set of quarters a few miles away as both a precaution, and because Archin found a surface vent of magma that he wants put to use in the future.  

We've plenty of food – for now – but it’s not going to last forever.  While hauling some stones back to the makeshift shops to make some chairs, Rice spotted some movement down below the ridge.  We watched them for some time, and eventually he said, “Maybe Sgt. Pepper could … you know, bring a couple in?  We could make some stew.”

I just shook my head and turned back towards the mine shaft.  “Maybe if they had any meat… or skin… on them, it would be worth the time.”  This is utopia?  A land engulfed in fire where herds of skinless beasts roam, looking to give their suffering to anyone foolish enough to be caught here?  

Lucy seems thrilled with the plans they’ve been going over, but she’s been sworn to secrecy about it.  Aryn promises to tell us about it soon, but I don’t believe him at all.  I need to get Rice to make some idols and trinkets for me to sell, assuming we’ll have a caravan show up, and perhaps I can convince him that a little coin in his pocket is worth stepping up my requests over doors, and chairs.

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 10:21:00 pm »

Dwarf: Stravitch
Profession: Sheriff

Grab a brewer if one comes with the immigration, mmmmmm rum.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 10:26:00 pm »

Rice's Journal
Date... A leader should know the date.

The others think of this place as a wasteland. A hell hole even. This was not the utopia we were promised. But they are all short sighted. We must carve out our utopia from these rocks. The monsters that roam here clearly only strike out at those who are unworthy of Utopia. They shall protect us from the outsiders that will soon come seeking to destroy our dreams. In other events I'll be making some furniture soon, that way we can have a decent place to eat.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 02:08:00 am »

Sgt. Pepper's Memoirs of a Woodsman:

I feel empty inside:
Am I my axe or is my axe me?
Who is control when I swing.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.
I should spend more time out of the sun.
I think I have gone bloody crazy

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 05:08:00 pm »

The Journal of Johnny Fountainspring
5th of Malachite

We were almost visited by death, my name jotted in the margin of his ledger.  Despite the remedies of our grandmothers, the wound in my side never fully healed.  It took all my strength to heft the pick, and with the last ounce of energe in me I helped Archin carve out what would serve as our simple bedrooms.  Having found a smoothing plane, a simple saw, and a chisel among the scraps at our wagon, Sgt. Pepper has been putting his efforts to a more peaceful pursuit:  fashioning us beds from the logs we brought.  At some point, I was moved into one of these, thrashing and gibbering from sickness.

I was visited with terrible fever dreams, endless walls of water rising above the tallest of mountains, drowning us all.  While I lay disposed, Kuli spent what free time he had between hauling our goods to our new home at my bedside, alternating between prayers to Zefon and telling me of Her forgiveness, and Her willingness to guide those who may Pass On back to our earthly shells.

When I finally recovered my strength, I found the spirits of our troupe surprisingly high.  Though there has been tension between Rice and Aryn, things have finally mellowed.  The supplies, the work orders, the money, they are all left in Aryn’s capable – and micromanaging – hands.  Rice has embraced his position as our groups de facto leader, and with his encouraging words and reassurance that we are carving out a better future, there have been no temper flare-ups at all.  Even Aryn has calmed, and though he’s not the friendliest, we’ve been working at a much more leisurely pace thanks to our safer location.

(room for workshops)

Edit: Carp!  I forgot to add pictures!

[ March 21, 2008: Message edited by: Heavy Flak ]

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »

Events of the 14th of Limestone, 1051

The group was gathered in the larder, minus Kuli who was at the old site bringing in the last of the supplies.  While the majority laughed and talked, Aryn poured over the papers and charts in front of him, occasionally sipping from his mug of stout.  

"You know, we really need a name," said Rice.
"Ya' think so?" asked Johnny.  "Who's ta' hear?"
"Well... someone's bound to come.  We want to be able to have them talk about how great our operations are doing."

The group thought this over, the only noise the occasional thump as the bottom of a mug hit the top of a barrel.  Sgt. Pepper was the first to speak up, "What about ... The Valley of Lovers?"

A bout of laughter ran through the group.  They all began spouting out names in quick succession -
Rice: "The Sack of Cyclones!"
Johnny: "Th' Pick o' Flashes!"
Lucy: "The Polished Trumpet!"
Archin: "The Frosty Wall!"
Rice held up his hand, pointing at Lucy.  "Wait a minute!  Say that one again."

Lucy blinked and glanced around.  Giving a little shrug, she said, "The ... Polished Trumpet?"
"I like that.  I like that a lot.  How about it?  The Polished Trumpet?"

Aryn's groan was unheard by the Dwarves.  He pinched the bridge of his nose between his fingers, slowly shaking his head.  Before he could chastise them on their absurdness, Kuli came barreling down the steps grinning widely.  "Wagons!    There are wagons on the horizon!  Our letters got home!"

"Oh, wonderful," Aryn said.  He organized his papers and tucked the lot under his arm, bolting towards the entranceway.  His voice carried back to them, the happiest they'd heard him in weeks, "Grab the goods!  Let's see if these merchants are better than the kings they serve."

[ March 21, 2008: Message edited by: Heavy Flak ]

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 07:22:00 pm »

From the files of Aryn Estetar
22nd of Slate

Notes on Tosid Staketaxed, lead trader:
Arrogant and unyielding; Obviously he is in the new Queen Nakuthas's pocket.  Offered little compensation for our created goods.  Attempts at sympathy were met with disinterest.  All goods crafted yielded a single barrel of rum.  I will remember this act as we tighten our belts this winter

Census: 14 Dwarves (up from 7)
New immigrants from the Mountain Home.  
2 woodcutters
1 carpenter
1 animal trainer
1 animal caretaker
1 peasant
1 gem setter

Job Reassignments will be needed.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 10:11:00 pm »

Make the wood cutters my apprentices - military axe dwarfs - and make them part of the forge industry if it is started:

The Memoir of a Woodman:
Everyday, I look out on the wastes.
Why here, why this land?
We hath seeketh and this is the chosen reward?
I since terrible times - of carps and bowmen!

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2008, 06:45:00 am »

I'll take the Gem Setter
Name: Istrath Mingkilarzes (Jewel Leopardknight) And no, that doesn't have to replace the last name.

Also, add Gem Cutter, and Architech (Hey even jewelers need hobbies.)

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2008, 11:22:00 am »

Two woodcutters and a carpenter came to a fort with absolutely no trees?  Brilliant.

What's that red ore in the bedrooms area?

"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2008, 11:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kaelem Gaen:
<STRONG>I'll take the Gem Setter
Name: Istrath Mingkilarzes (Jewel Leopardknight) And no, that doesn't have to replace the last name.</STRONG>

Done, and done.  I'll post the profile this afternoon.  If you'd like that last name, I have no problem at all changing it for you.

quote:
Originally posted by Kuli:
<STRONG>Two woodcutters and a carpenter came to a fort with absolutely no trees? Brilliant.

What's that red ore in the bedrooms area?</STRONG>

I know.  Dwarf Fortress is really throwing me some excitement, between the Giant Zombie Scorpion, the skeletal camels, and these two new woodcutters.  At least they came  with axes.  The red ore is Cinnabar, and the hallway section also has chunks of citrine and aluminum in it.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »

IF we have coal/magma at all - you can use woodcutters as industry.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »

From the files of Aryn Estetar

Istrath Leopardknight, one of our newest, has already caught my eye.  His initiative in setting him a jewelers shop without prior direction has already put him in my good graces, and perhaps those foul traders will prefer our trinkets covered in gems.

Sgt. Pepper has been a bit dispondant lately.  With no work in sight for one of his skills, he spends his days with the other two woodcutters sparring, having taken them in as apprentices.  I've promised him that I'll send Archin to route a channel of magma towards the shops, setting the woodsmen up to smelt when they aren't training.

Edit: Changed Istrath's last name in the post, and the pic.

[ March 22, 2008: Message edited by: Heavy Flak ]

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »

Oh, that would be cool.   I just wasn't sure if you could do that for singular dwarfs, or if it effected every dwarf in the fortress (Having the nickname be the full name)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 189