Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 376693 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Of Glass and Steel (A Community Fort)
« Reply #1020 on: September 20, 2008, 10:27:21 am »

When is the update coming?

I must know what happens next!

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: September 21, 2008, 06:10:47 am »

Wow, this topic is 7th in the top ten topics by number of replies, and THIRD by number of views.

Way to go, Heavy Flak!  ;D
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: September 21, 2008, 09:58:57 am »

The events of the 16th of Moonstone, 1065

The last of the worshipers filed in to the Temple to Zefon, the bells still ringing in the tower.  Dodik-Come-Lately stood at the foot of the bridge, staring up at the large stained glass window arched with the roof.  Her hands were clasped in front of her, her hip resting up against one of the support posts for the wooden entrance bridge.

"Madam Dodik, a pleasure to see you," Vash called from behind her, "Will you be attending us for service?"
"It's been quite a long time," Jools added pleasantly, "So nice to see you, ah, above ground."

Dodik turned and smiled at the pair, her eyes finally falling upon Maester Kuli slowly trailing behind him.  He was in his best dark robes, the Book of Zefon under one arm, along with the notes for today's sermon.  He gave her a polite nod, and gestured towards the doors with his free hand. "You should hurry, ma'am.  It warms my heart to se you... ah, decide to join us once again.  We've been concerned by some of your choices."

"Oh, but you shouldn't," Dodik-Come-Lately said, smiling.  "I've just been so busy, as of late.  I apologize, I won't be attending your service today, as lovely as I'm sure it is.  I have work to do, and a meeting very shortly - I just wanted to come take a look at this temple.  So often I'm underground, working to keep our friends entertained, that I don't get to look upon ... such majesty."

Kuli's mouth drooped down into the hint of a frown.  "I think, ma'am, that it might be best if you spent a little more time praying, and a little less entertaining.  Zefon has love for all, but She can not reach those who don't ask for her love."
"I understand, Maester.  And I appreciate your concern, and that is the reason I keep a shrine in my room, so I may pray for her mercy before I get in bed,"

Vash fidgeted where he was standing, acutely aware to how chilly it had grown outside.  Kuli tightened his grip on his book and notes, giving a curt nod.  "We need to head inside now, lest the service be late.  You're welcome - and greatly encouraged - to come and join us."

Dodik-Come-Lately started to speak, but broke into a smile, waving to someone behind them.  Jools turned to look, and saw the newest fishery-leader of Fountainspring Fisheries, Dastot Rinsesilver, tromping towards them.  She was dressed simply in rough-spun coveralls and a button up a shirt, a wide, flat hat pulled down low. 

"There's my afternoon meeting," she said politely.  "Please, have a good service.  Oh, Miss Rinsesilver!"
Rinsesilver ambled over slowly, her thumbs hooked into the straps of the overalls.  She gave a nod to the Zefonist trio, and said in a quiet drawl, "I apologize, but there are business matters that... need to be discussed with our favorite little entertainer.  You'll... excuse me, if I take her now?"

When she was greeted with silence, Rinsesilver smiled and gave a little jerk of her head, towards the stairwell.  "Come, the others are waiting in the dining room.  They're quite interested in hearing what sort of... business arrangement you have in mind."
"Of course, let's go!  Goodbye, gentleman!"  With a wave of her fingers, Dodik-Come-Lately swished after the fisherdwarf, leaving a scowling Kuli and his nonplussed assisstants standing in front of the church, watching the pair leave.

OOC: Sorry about the lapse!  My mom came into town this weekend earlier I expected, pretty much knocking me offline.  I was going to knock out an entry on Thursday, and she shows up at the door 5 hours early.  Now I feel bad, because I spent a week cleaning my house and get told that it's "just not clean enough."  And the yard needs to be better tended.  And I need to take the trash out more, and, and, and...

At least I got great meals out, for waaaay too much money.... such as the one meal where I ate caesar salad, escargot, sweatbreads (read, raw anchovies, snails, and lamb brains) and washed it all down with tawny port.  Now that she's gone, we're back to your regularly scheduled broadcast. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 04:49:28 pm by Heavy Flak »

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: September 21, 2008, 11:07:05 am »

...and back to the beer/pretzel diet?

;-P

Anyway, I'm disappointed to see a Zefonist choosing business over an uplifting service from Master Kuli. Especially a Zefonist in such need of... guidance.

Obviously if the business involves donkeys then all this is acceptable.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: September 21, 2008, 11:56:30 am »

Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves!  It's back to the beer/omelet/stir fry diet, with the occasional steak thrown in for good measure.

Obviously if the business involves donkeys then all this is acceptable.

And need I remind you Jools who the business is involving.  Are you sure you'd want Donkeys involved?

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: September 21, 2008, 03:25:33 pm »

Good point. Let's keep all donkeys in the sanctuary rather than in Madame Dodik's Palace of Sin. I'd hate any of them to develop a gambling problem.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: September 21, 2008, 06:37:04 pm »

*oblivious to this, because he's in the back pews twiddling his thumbs.*

I'm pretty sure that to us lenodists, it's a cardinal (Little red bird) sin to let donkeys gamble.

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: September 21, 2008, 07:48:26 pm »

From the diary of Kuli Problemwalled,

Tonight's service went well, and there was a slightly higher attendance this time.  The congregation was quite attentive to my sermon about the need to maintain religious values at all times in daily life and not just while within the temple walls.

I was briefly...graced by the presence of Madame Dodik-Come-Lately just before the service began.  I am continually astounded by her audacity.  She has recently profitted from disrespecting a private communication, and now she is recruiting a member of my congregation - Miss Rinsesilver - to aid her in some doubtless unseemly undertaking.  I shall have to take Miss Rinsesilver aside before next week's service and have a talk with her about her priorities.

As ever, I remain vigilant of the activities of Mister Gorgeinsights, but I must admit that I have observed nothing particularly suspicious lately.  Aside from that tragedy earlier in the week, life at Migrursut is relatively normal at present.  For that I am thankful.  May Zefon's love be with us.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Flar Moonchill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: September 22, 2008, 04:12:23 am »

Hey HF et all,
Hows Johnny doing? I'd normally wait and see but with the merchantS he was travel with having been done for, I was wondering if thats the last we've seen of him.....or not? :)
As always keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 03:12:14 am by Flar Moonchill »
- If you know what I mean, and I''m sure that you do.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: September 22, 2008, 05:33:46 pm »

The events of the 2nd of Opal, 1065

The council met in the Duke's room, Aryn's incessant complaints about his always being the sight of such gatherings finally grating on the other members nerves that they conceded to his wishes.  Duke Bomrek was fussing over the sickly little boy nursing on his wife, and Crowpages and the recently healed Wavepaddles were discussing labor and justice in low tones at the corner of the table.  Glacies was happier than anyone had seen him in months, a new spring in his step, his the ledgers he carried noticeably lighter since the test-drop of the quarry. 

Aryn entered late, earning himself a reproachful look from the Duke, who said in a haughty tone, "So nice of you to meet with us, Mister Estetar.  We've only been waiting nigh an hour."
"Go to hell," Aryn snarled, his impatience already on the rise, "I've just gotten a lecture from Rice because of you-" his finger jabbed in the direction of Duke Bomrek, "- and a firm scolding from that whore herder Dodik-Come-Lately because of you-" his finger swept over to the silent wife.   "What is wrong with you both?  Flutes? Ballista bolts?  Are you serious?  What good are either around here!"

Duke Bomrek began to bluster, but Aryn turned his attention away from him, dismissing the explanation with a wave of his hand.  He sat down at the head of the table, slouching in the seat, and pointed to Wavepaddles, "Any news?"
"No, sir," came the chilly voice of the Hammerer, "Productions are fine, if a little slow.  Everyone is content, even after friend and father perished.  No punishment has been needed."
"Good," Aryn said after a moment.  He pointed to Crowpages.  "How are the finances."
"Fine, they're... they're pretty good," She said, glancing down to the notes in front of her.

"They're fine?  Or just good?" Asked Aryn, one brow raising.
"Well, all taxes have been accounted for - except for a good portion of the soldiers and miners income that seems to go to Dodik's.  But... there's been a noticeable lack of product coming in through the fisherfolk, yet they seem to be impeccably dressed..."
"Come to think of it, I haven't had a single fish pie in over a few months," Duke Bomrek mused.  "Such a shame, cod, quite the delicasy!  I once ate nothing but cod for a decade, back during the beef embargo of 1034, and those were quite possibly the ten happiest years of my life."

Aryn closed his eyes and waited, and when the Duke finished talking, he said in a pained, even voice, "Where are they getting their money at, if not from fishing."
"That's the problem, Mr. Estetar," Crowpages said with a shrug.  "I'm not sure."
"Well keep an eye on them," Aryn said.  "I want them taxed, and processed.  Security isn't cheap, neither is greatness.  They're allowed to make a living, but we - those in charge of their safety - need our due to keep it lasting." 

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: September 23, 2008, 09:43:33 am »

Diary of glacies

So todays meeting went smoothly, despite Ayrn whining like a prepubescent gnome. Crow mentioned that the fisherfolk seem awfully well off. I looked into my ledgers, but there's nothing regarding them that seems suspicious.

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: September 23, 2008, 01:02:56 pm »

This is Stravitch in song form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFzJ47hbnJs

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: September 23, 2008, 05:50:03 pm »

From the files of Aryn Estetar
20th of Opal, 1065

Almost all the crap left behind from the ... last three goblin attacks have been either disposed of, or placed in storage to be melted down and used for bins, barrels, and and blocks.  This is fantastic news, as the majority of this junk is only scrap iron and pigtail, and has been an eyesore for over a year.  With their destruction, I can breath a sigh of relief that the majority of slackers acting as useless haulers will be doing their jobs for, ohhh... I'd say another month before the goblins bash their heads impotently against my walls yet again, and the whole dance begins anew.

There has been talk of the most heinous kind heard in the hallways, and in the mess, and I need to speak with the remainder of my honor guard about quashing it as soon as possible.  The talk, started by that harlot Mookie, began like this-
1) Bertrand can grow grass where only sand and stone once sat.
2) Perhaps, with grass, Bertrand can than grow trees
3) If there are trees, we have a usable supply of wood for all sorts of functions
4) With wood, we as a fort can laugh in the faces of the elves as we try to sell them their precious trees. 
At least I'm in charge of trade, not them

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: September 23, 2008, 07:49:24 pm »

Diary of Zako:

Been a while since I've written in this book. Been training hard lately, so thats my excuse!

Things have been like the usual around here; Chaotic, Dangerous and plain wierd. There has been talk of growing trees where the grass that has sprouted up from the rock, and then selling these trees to the elves.

Are they mad? I hope so, because it would explain so much...

One other thing diary; When I was allowed to get out of bed, I went to the armor stockpile to equip myself with better armor, just like I promised myself. And, joy of joys, I found a set of platemail! It looked a bit worn, like it had been through quite a few battles, but there was no dwarven bloodstains on it, which is a good sign. I wore most of it, except for the legs, which I couldn't fit over my brace, and walked off to the barracks.

But heres the part thats wierd; Everyone I passed gave me wierd looks, and then hurried off. Was it the brace? Im still not sure. When I arrived at the barracks, noone said a word to me for a couple of seconds, some again giving me that astounded look, before getting back to work.

Have I done something wrong? I have no idea! But I plan to openly talk about this the next time Im in the barracks to train.

(Did you get my hint, HF?)

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: September 23, 2008, 09:10:59 pm »

Diary of Glacies

Mookie told me something interesting today. There's some talk that Bertrand the kukoo has decided he might grow trees next. This means we'll not have to order out, and can thus shun the elf traders. And laugh at them, she added. "We can even offer them some wooden goods, y'know, just to set them in a tizzy."

The thought of angry elves at our doors makes my toe hairs curl. The last thing I want to see is elves attacking our gates. I've seen, or rather not seen, what they can do from ambush.

Moreover, I hoped we could arrange for the elves to bring us some more caged animals. With any luck, we could have alligators and wolves, and all sorts of wonderfull things in a zoo of some kind. I'll see if Jools is amenable to the idea. He seems to love animals, and hopefully I'm in his good books after I showed him that wooden donkey thingy. It's a shame Maester Kuli never got back to me about that temple improvment project.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 189