Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 372997 times)

sdp0et

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #2805 on: November 19, 2012, 09:48:48 am »

Nobody would even know if you just made up the rest without the inspiration of the enhanced RNG.
sdp0et has been stressed lately. He was been accosted by work recently. He has been annoyed by coworkers. He admired a wonderful bed today. He admired a wonderful woman today.  He needs Coca-Cola to get through the working day.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: November 19, 2012, 10:09:57 am »

Nobody would even know if you just made up the rest without the inspiration of the enhanced RNG.

That's actually crossed my mind.  The RNG for me isn't so much a "Oh what will happen next!" variable as it is a "Oh how many things are going to die!" variable.  Because I don't trust myself with that kind of power. 

Jack Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: November 19, 2012, 01:37:19 pm »

Just posting to say that I absolutely love this fortress, and your style of writing, Heavy Flak. There are a few other epic fortresses on this forum, but not many of them can compare to this one.

I for one, am glad to wait for an update, no matter how long it takes. I know it'll end up being awesome regardless :P

Out of curiosity - did you ever manage to get that raccoon out of the ground? Or is it still just... sitting there? It must've been down there for quite a while >.>

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: December 16, 2012, 02:23:01 pm »

The Events of the 24th of Granite, 1080
Part 2

Pandemonium.  The first floor halls were filling with smoke, and filling quickly.  Somehow when of the monsters had gotten through, and though blame was the farthest thing from their minds, Cokho knew.  He let it in, the fire belching beast with the glowing eyes and laughing face.  Huddled in the corner of a hallway, the hauler kept his arms wrapped around his blood soaked torso, and his eyes locked firmly on the open door to one of the store rooms.

The beast stalked about, chasing another cat.  The animal, frightened past any semblance of reason, hissed and spat, darting between barrels.  When he could see it, Cokho's thoughts shifted to how that cat could be from the same litter as the headless corpse the Goblin-demon had thrown at him hard enough to knock the air from his lung.  He thought about how the cat might be saved when Varen rushed into the store room, his spear at the ready, his face set with grim determination.

"Kneel, beast, and I'll make this quick for you."

The response was swift, and sudden.  It's wings stretched out to full size, one of the clawed tips catching Varen on the cheek.  Snarling, he thrust with his spear, cutting through the leathery membrane - the polearm wrenched from his hands as the wings beat furiously.  He was then blasted backwards by a jet of flame - smoldering and dead midst the barrels of gems and trinkets.  The cat soon followed - a living, shrieking fireball running about the storeroom.

"Why are they killing the animals?" Mookie wailed.  Her voice was cracking, her face streaked with tears - she clutched onto Dodik's arm, watching from the main gate to the fortress.
"I don't know," the madam replied.  "To terrorize us, perhaps..."

Mookie winces, and buried her face in Dodik's shoulder.  "They won't stop screaming..."

"Enough!"

Adol stalked through the halls toward the supply room, muscling past the throng of bleeding, shrieking Dwarves stampeding towards the stairs.  His mask of calm, that legendary even temper of his, had slipped.  That these foul monsters were attacking was a given - they would always come.  But to make it inside of his home, to bring this fear to the population, to wound and maim and kill his friends. 

He had reached his point of no return.

Maggarg was outside trying to deal with the fliers, his bulky and armor-clad form taking the brunt of the damages as the workers were able to flee.  But Adol?  He was dealing with the bigger threat alone.  The door was sent off it's hinges by a steal-shod kick, the stone slab skittering across the storeroom.  The Goblin-Demon lifted it's head from the cat carcass it was gnawing on, it's eyes blazing with Hellfire.

Blood splattered in an arc as the head was ripped clean off it's shoulders, sent spiraling through the air.  Adol's warhammer crashed into the floor, shattering stones, his elbows hurting from the force of the wide circular swing.  With a sickening thlop, the head bounced and rolled onto a dusty corner, the trunk spraying blood as it toppled over.

As the Goblins fought and the Dwarves attempted to find safety and shelter, a single figure strode up the eastern rode.  It was immense, and it's cloven feet left sparks and sputtering flames behind in each footprint.  It was naked, it's body inky black, though copious veins throbbed in a charcoal ash up along its torso, up its neck, down over ungainly twice-bent goat legs.

It could not help but let it's tongue, long and bifurcated and thrashing, dangle out of an open, smiling maw.

Olsmo lives.  And he comes. 

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: December 16, 2012, 05:35:02 pm »

Wuh oh. That's not good.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: December 17, 2012, 04:18:25 pm »

Glad to see Adol took down that demon. But...uh...things aren't looking too good right now.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: December 18, 2012, 12:43:36 pm »

As the Goblins fought and the Dwarves attempted to find safety and shelter, a single figure strode up the eastern rode.  It was immense, and it's cloven feet left sparks and sputtering flames behind in each footprint.  It was naked, it's body inky black, though copious veins throbbed in a charcoal ash up along its torso, up its neck, down over ungainly twice-bent goat legs.

It could not help but let it's tongue, long and bifurcated and thrashing, dangle out of an open, smiling maw.

Olsmo lives.  And he comes.

So this?  This is scary and bad and awesome.  But it's nothing compared to the sheer panic for this:

The cat soon followed - a living, shrieking fireball running about the storeroom.

Burning cat!!  Burning cat!!  The Fortress is lost!! Seal the booze stockpile!!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

SkyMarshal

• Bay Watcher
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: February 09, 2013, 04:29:33 pm »

I hope this has not petered out, I've been lurking this for the last two years or so, checking up on it every couple of months.  Finally made an account, and wish to just say that this is my favourite DF story on the forum, and I hope to see it to its end.  Keep up the awesomeness, Heavy Flak! :D

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: February 21, 2013, 08:57:54 pm »

The Events of the 25th of Granite, 1080
Part 3

Aryn stalked the glass-domed halls.  With Tun still not under the waters, he couldn't get a tally of anything.  The books were an indecipherable mess - the chicken scratch that Glacies left behind written over-top by the new book keep, everything a squiggly disaster of runes and and tallies and crude sketches in the margins. 

"To the pits with this damned thing!" 

He pitched it down the hallway, the papers exploding into a whirling mass behind him.  Did they have enough food?  Enough drink?  Was everyone accounted for?  His jaw was working on itself, and from the pain and the taste of iron he thought he might have cracked a tooth.  But it didn't matter.  None of it did, so long as the doors were shut and the the traps armed. 

Two soldiers hustled past him, and for the briefest of moments Aryn was concerned that he didn't know their names.  They weren't the retired She-Beast with the axe, or the donkey loving fool, or the pair of idiot-friends, or-

"WHERE IS STRAVITCH!" 

A dwarf jumped.  Quote, literally shaking around the load of goods he hauled, said timidly.  "I-I saw him.  H-he was heading up top... said he was dealing with the doors."

Abruptly, Aryn smiled.  A trickle of blood leaked from the corner of his mouth, staining his matted beard a ruddy red at the corner. 
"That drunk old fool is finally doing something right. 

His hair and beard were matted into dreadlocks, full of twigs and dust and vomit.  The clumps of hair were so heavy that the breeze could do little to move them about his nearly naked body.  Stravitch stared forward, watching the pandemonium from the green glass bridge, the fires, the screaming, with an impassive eye. 

There was a rally, though.  He could hear the clanging of steel-on-horn, and the splatters of sizzling blood on the stones told of Dwarves that were beginning to fight off the horrors.  He watched it all sullenly, his fingers reflexively tightening and twisting on the handle of his trusty mace. 

A planter went screaming past, followed by a donkey, and a swords-dwarve.  One of the Goblin-beasts strode up the path, fire casting from each footfall, it's wings beating at the air mercilessly.  As the only dwarf not running it turned it's attention on Stravitch.  And it paused, briefly, before chortling in a dozen voices.

With an almost lazy swing of his hand, Stravitch lifted the mace and smashed it into the bridge.  Twice.  A third time.  The glass fractured and splintered, and in confusion the Goblin stumbled backwards, little bits of green stuck into its skin. 

Stravitch turned his back and stumbled towards the steps.  As he reached them, he stopped, and with another strike shattered a support of the bridge.  It creaked, and sputtered, and with a sudden crash it toppled into the frothy sea bellow, carrying with it the green glass statutes bolted to its sides.

"You fool!" the Goblin screamed across the gap at him.  "We can fly!  We will get in there!"
"This wasn't to keep you out," Stravitch said, and his voice was gravely and hoarse and it choked, briefly.

"It's to keep us in."

"One got into the booze stockpiles!" 

Wallgirders looked up from the barrel of rum he was chugging.  The beast stared at him, cockeyed, seemingly confused by the action.  He had had ENOUGH.  Trampled by camels, left to crawl himself back in the fortress by an uncaring populace.  Trampled by camels again, left to crawl himself to safety.  Enough was enough.

Bellowing, Wallgirders dropped the barrel and bunched up his iron-shod fists.

The fireball caught him full on the face and chest, melting the armor onto his body.  He bellowed, again, as the room blurred.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:58:31 am by Heavy Flak »

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: April 20, 2013, 02:43:34 pm »

So is this dead then?  Because that would be a real shame...

Nihilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: June 30, 2013, 08:30:34 pm »

"Heavy Flak, Heavy Flak, where art thou, Heavy Flak?

Deny your personal commitments and refuse thy life;

Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my DF Community Story Author,

And I'll no longer be a Forum Lurker."

Excerpt from The Undiscovered Writings of William McShakespeare.

Hey look at this, I found it. Maybe you can use it. Hint hint.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: April 01, 2014, 02:59:56 pm »

I contacted Stravitch who contacted Heavy Flak who is going to finally finish the story.

Also I got several sigquotes reading this thing. You are all hilarious.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: April 01, 2014, 08:50:36 pm »

The Events of the 26th of Granite, 1080
Part 4

The fortress in the sands belched smoke into the sky, blackening the cloudless azure above. If there were friendly observers out in the dunes - for that matter, if there were friendly observers out in the world - they would not be remiss to think that the walls had been fully breached, that the inhabitants were now soulless shells of meat and bone.  Assuming that the dead hadn't been greeted by a hungry God, or an excitable army of Goblin-Demons with minds full of filth.

But that would just be assumptions. 

A lull in the battle had taken place just before nightfall.  A few fliers had been spotted fluttering among the smoke-filtered moonlight.  They were quickly dispatched by Likot, who herself was whispering instructions and praise to a very excited Crispin.  This time was spent hauling corpses instead of relaxing, dragging both the bodies and their detachable parts inside the walls.  Crack teams of haulers tossed their gory prizes onto the ever growing shambles in the courtyard.  Despite the source, there was hushed talk in the halls of eventually using the meat to restock the burning supply room.

But as the sun lazily began to rise over the distant eastern planes, one thing became very visible out on the sands.

The Demon Olsmo was resplendent and horric, a shadow of madness capering it's way down the road.  The journey had been long indeed.  Millenia had passed since Olsmo had been birthed from his own gaping, slavering stomach-womb, the afterbirth sloshing over the southern lands to wriggle and crawl into monstrous abominations never meant for this world.  He had crawled and fought and consumed the others and himself once more, lavishing about on the wines and fruits of the land.  And he smiled - in the past, and in the now, the oil-slicked skin that made up the corners of his cheeks spread to near splitting as he thought of all that had come in. 

Great Olsmo briefly stumbled as he lifted the large jug dragging in his right hand.  Bifurcated tongue slithered inside the mouth, vanishing as Olsmo's lips smashed up against the glass.  He rested on the great thorned staff in his left hand, paying no mind to the dribbles of blood that sizzled and smoked the stones underneath.  Lagging far behind were a quartet of Half-Breeds.  The foul beasts were not their usual boisterous self.  In the presence of their master, they were skittish and timid compared to their previous visits to the fortress.

Assembled at the gates were the remnants army, steel eyed and weapons drawn.  Merkil stood at the head of the wedge, head bowed, lips moving in silent prayer to the Dawn.  His tongue was dry, sticking to the backs of his teeth as recited the liturgy.  Fingers tightened imperceptibly around the handle of his Hammer.  They tightened slightly more from his surprise.

"...fer' putting in the soul that lights up a gem in torchlight; I'm praying to you, Delar, for the lives of the fools standin' here with me."  Maggarg's gruff voice stopped.  Stuttered.  Started on again too quiet to hear.

He lifted his head at the clatter behind him.  In front Olsmo capered and consumed, and he was unfortunately accustomed to it now.  But behind...

"Damn it all Rice!" Luke shouted.  "Get back!  In the gates!"
"No!" Rice's voice had cracked and gone hoarse with his bellowed reply. 
"We're staying," shouted a smith.  Other voices chimed in in agreement. 

Merkil was genuinely surprised.  He turned to face the newcomers, their numbers raising near thirty by his quick counting.  Maybe a few more, his head was spinning with suppressed anxiety. 

"If you want to piss your lives away you idiots, form up in rank and try to follow suit.  We're going to kill a demon that dreams it's God today."

Many had fallen, either wounded or dead, but they had made great strides.  No army came to replace the Half-Breed honor guard, though a haze rose in the distance as they milled in whatever served them as a camp.  But they had learned two things in the awful venture so far.  Don't try to get behind Olsmo, and don't get too close to Olsmo.  Helmgem, one of the few remaining fishers, flopped around a few yards from the demon, gurgling and sobbing as his legs both melted and burned from the bile that had been lurched up on him.  Bolts littered the ground and sprouted from his forearms and thighs like quills.  But they had shattered his jug earlier in the fight, and his jovial mood began to dwindle. 

Merkil, Maggarg, and Adol briefly held palaver.  When the foursome broke, they stalked toward Olsmo, the demon glaring at them as he leaned on his staff. 

"Everyone hold rank.  I don't think he can vomit since he ran out of hooch.  Ya'll just don't go about doing anything dumb an' we're all gunna walk outa here alive." Wilbur said. 

Adol clanked his shield against his shoulder-plate.  "Damn, damn, damn, he followed us out!"

"Don't act rash, Wilbur," Merkil said quietly.  "Just..."
"WILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLBUR ANNNNNNNVILQUIETTTTTTTTTTTT!"

There was a scramble to reach the demon first, or at least before their daft charge could.  But he was crafty and quick, and Maggarg lost a tooth to his steel shod heel.  Olsmo quickly lost a finger as well, the disconnected digit bursting in to ash before it hit the stone.  Wilbur was acting a dervish, whirling and slashing at anything in reach, though usually he clanged ineffectively off the metal staff.  The others crept closer, trying to take advantage of the clamor, but it did not work as planned.  It never did.  A hasty flash of wings, and a quick strike, brought a strike to Wilburs chin.  He dropped to the stones on his belly, unmoving.  Maggarg caught the staff as it arced downward, the blow shattering and searing his wrist, the thrust that followed caught him in the throat. 

"G-* ulk..." he dropped down to his knees, one working hand clawing at his throat.  Olsmo had turned his head, lazy eyes trying to focus on the pair left standing.  The barest wisp of a smile.  A step towards the Dwarves.

Olsmo's bellow rattled the walls of the fortress.  Some of the hardened glass where the bridge had once stood shuddered and crumbled into the ocean below.  A sword thrust through the Demon's middle. 

Fire licked up the blade, but they were dying down rhythmically, slowly ebbing spurts of curling flames.  Goat Legs buckled underneath the Demon, and it sank, seemingly melted, into a crumpled heap. 

Kuli slid in close behind Olsmo, a hand coming to rest on his shoulder.  Jools was ashen, his eyes as wide as saucers, his hands shaking so hard his fore-plates rattled. 

The Great Demon Lord, the Master of the Southern Lands, the Drunk God, leaned his head to the side, gawping up at the weakened Maester. 

"Shhh..." Kuli squeezed his shoulder reassuringly.  "There is no need for you to speak." The thin blade slid upwards with Kuli's other hand, sinking deep into the demon's skull.  The Maester sank with the body, cradling it's fall, kneeling underneath the gurgling head even as his robes and hands sizzled from bile-blood-ichorsplatter. 

From the top of his glass tower, Aryn watched the events taking place far on the shower.  It wasn't the arrogant Demon after-all!  He barked a laugh, short and sharp and was startled by it when the ocean lapping at the tower echoed it back.  Good.  The best of scenarios.  To hell with it all then.   Now the goblin armies, cut loose from any semblance of a leader, lay waste to everything in their path.  Dwarf is an extinct species.  Man and Elf will do no better at their hands. 

He slapped the spyglass and it swiveled on it's tripod, axis creaking. 

"Lock it up when you're satisfied, Hikan. That's a dead world now.  You're a sicker man than I if you get any pleasure drooling over it."

Hours passed while Hikan stared down at the sea.  Down at the slabs of glass and misting waves below him. 

He could jump so easily.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: April 01, 2014, 11:20:19 pm »

<*CLAP*>

Well done, HF, well done.

(Also, Adol lived! I'm...kinda shocked.)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: April 02, 2014, 01:45:49 am »

April Fools! The story will go on for another six years!

Congratulations on finishing it, finally.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189