Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Truly, they were as gods who made this place  (Read 27027 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Truly, they were as gods who made this place
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2008, 05:28:00 am »

This sounds interesting, and I was looking for something to do. OK, count me in.

Uh... could someone either point me in the direction of instructions or post some modified .raw files for me to use? I'm a complete novice at that kind of stuff.

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2008, 02:00:00 pm »

If you use both the Raws and DF companion you can build things really fast. I built a 15 story marble block 4x4 tower in a little over half an hour. Now I'm going to go try the designator tool.

The designator tool kicks ass. I just made an 8x8 rough andesite tower 28 floors high. Took less then 3 minutes.
Alright it also took a while to figure out a problem with allocation but I've figured that out.

The designator tool just became even better. I turned the entire bottom level of a map into a chasm. Quit, turned cave-ins on, reloaded, and watched as the whole map just caved-in.

[ March 31, 2008: Message edited by: THLawrence ]

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2008, 03:58:00 am »

Sorted the .raw thing out myself as it turns out. I've now got a game going with emotionless, tireless Dwarves who need no food or drink and have a punch ranging from 5 to 20.  :D

Though it does leave me with a lot less things to do...

YOu can sign me up for this now. I'll have to think of something to build...

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »

I could start as soon as I get the go-ahead. You can sign me up for the first spot if you want.

Well, except on 3. April, but that's because I have so much stuff to do then. I also have a lot of stuff to do on Mondays, although I do have a little leeway sometimes.

EDIT:
Eet weeeeeerrrkkksss
[REACTION:CHEAT3]
[NAME:cheat ruby blocks]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:10:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:RUBY]

[ April 01, 2008: Message edited by: Boksi ]

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2008, 07:51:00 pm »

Reading the first post it seems like GRead has decided to take the first position.

Also can I be moved up a bit. I'm moving in under a month and would like to get my turn in before that. Also since exams are coming up soon I should have a bit of free time. Could I get the 4th slot please.

Finally, what are you making GRead? Or this going to be one of those send in your adventurer and find out things?

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2008, 08:50:00 pm »

I put myself in slot 1 because I suggested the topic and, at the time I put it there, only you had asked for a slot and wanted slot #8. I don't really care who goes first, but I've genned the world and am working on getting designator to do my bidding so...

Right now I'm planning on building a massive crystal forest with habitation towers reaching down into a deep artificial lake. Not exactly inspired but it should be interesting.

edit
can't figure out a way to make specific rocks from it; sadness. my plans for a giant tower of diamond appear to be given difficulty...

[ April 01, 2008: Message edited by: GRead ]

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2008, 07:31:00 pm »

Hmm... I'll take... spot 3.

Oh, I'm presuming this uses v .38c?

One more thing... is there any code line I can add to dwarves to stop them from taking breaks? It's the only thing at the moment that's stopping them from working continuously.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mech#4:
<STRONG>One more thing... is there any code line I can add to dwarves to stop them from taking breaks? It's the only thing at the moment that's stopping them from working continuously.</STRONG>

Well if you gave them the NOTHOUGHT tag then you can just draft and undraft them. They won't get any negative thoughts.
Gread, are you building your forest out of? Diamond or crystal glass? neither of them can be made using the designator tool so you have to build them using dwarves. Truth be told, I started a small map to see if I could do the same thing as you. My only problem has been lack of imagination on what it should look like.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2008, 09:36:00 pm »

My original intent was to mark a large area as diamond clusters and then smooth and use them as 'natural diamond walls' that I could then engrave.
Unfortunately gemstones seem to be independant of the values the designator edits.
I'm also running into some major problems with designator that forced me to abandon the current design; as it's been taking me awhile if anyone wants to take the number 1 place in my stead I won't be offended. It looks like I need to get some of the kinks worked out of this first and may end up changing the plan in the process.
If I go ahead with this one it will be made from gem blocks and gem furniture. still unsure though.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2008, 09:59:00 pm »

I'm in. I will make the terror-cube. A giant cube of obsidian that contains the entire fortress. Farms, forges, and all. I might also rig up a magma-spew system to destroy the traitorous infidels. Aka elves.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2008, 03:38:00 pm »

A little case study for my upcoming fortress:

The actual board is obsidian and ruby blocks, with most statues being exceptional gold/steel ones. The king and queen equivalents are masterwork statues.

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2008, 02:27:00 am »

One question about this.

Is it creating one world and then sending the save file to the next person on the list or are we all creating one world each and combining all the games into one .zip/.rar file?

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2008, 08:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mech#4:
<STRONG>One question about this.

Is it creating one world and then sending the save file to the next person on the list or are we all creating one world each and combining all the games into one .zip/.rar file?</STRONG>

I thought it was one world and sending the save file around.

By the way, GRead have you been working on it or did you pass your turn? Your last post wasn't completely clear.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2008, 05:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by THLawrence:
<STRONG>

I thought it was one world and sending the save file around.

By the way, GRead have you been working on it or did you pass your turn? Your last post wasn't completely clear.</STRONG>

since all my experiments with merging saves have failed, passing it around seems to be the only option. And yeah, it appears I was lacking in foresight when I started this and just don't have the time to participate at the moment, so if someone else would like to pick it up I would be much obliged.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »

I am almost done I just need to finish my labyrinth and my grand fortress will be complete! Also, the castle itself is somewhat boring even if it is extremely opulent.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6