Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Othono, A Tale of the Dead, story/(community) fortress.  (Read 25667 times)

Silu

• Bay Watcher
  • The Perfectionist
    • View Profile
Re: Othono, A Tale of the Dead, story/(community) fortress.
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 08:36:00 am »

Name: Silu
Professions: Proficient Brewer/Grower
Items brought: 50 units of Prickle Berry seeds, a mug (if available at the start) and the rest of the points to booze.

Backround: Silu is a weird fellow, even in human standards. He has always liked alcohol or any other liquid that gets you drunk. To be speaking the truth, his relationship with booze is insane. There are rumors that someone once accidentally drank from his pint of beer and Silu just snapped. The rumors tell that he continuously beated the poor lad to the head with the mug until the table was soaked with blood and brain-juices. Silu realised what he had done and had to flee the town, with the bloody mug still on his hand.

[ April 07, 2008: Message edited by: Silu ]

I'm the lunatic of God's creation.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 10:17:00 am »

Chapter I : Blacktowers eternal!
--------------------------------

Diary of Bolli, the 11th of Hematite, 1051.

-->o<--
After staying in this inn for three long days, we have atlast found four new suitable replacements for our ranks.
These newlings are still as green behind their ears as drafted peasants, but atleast they seem eager to serve the Nightbringer. As I'm writing, we are about to arrive at our destination: Othono, "Blacktowers" in the human tongue.
While it is still a mile away from the coasts of the Roasted Blueness, our lord has guaranteed us that this is where we should construct a new Necropolis.
One even mightier then our previous one! We will strike the heavens with this new temple to our lord, the Nightbringer!
He has requested me to keep track of our supplies. This is what we brought with us:

Note to myself: One of the newlings, Silu, seems to be a grower and brewer, just like me. I think I'll get along with him quite nicely.

Diary of Desocucu, the Nightbringer, the 11th of Hematite 1051.

---UiU---

We have arrived! The plan has been set in motion. Just as I remembered, the old graveyard and the Ettin cave are still here. Enough creatures to command!
I have ordered the skeletons to gather wood from the surrounding swamps, as I do not dare send out my acolytes. The swamps surrounding Othono are still as vicious and dark as it was at my first arrival.
To cheer up the mood, I have showed my acolytes the newest remarkable addition to our ranks: an Undead Archangel! Our enemies will shiver when they see him.
I'm still thinking about a name for him. What about Urith?

Note: I have found a map. I'll keep it if I need some reference.

[ April 08, 2008: Message edited by: Asheron ]

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 10:57:00 am »

Diary of Apug, 18th of Hematite, 1051.

---OiO---

At the request of the Nightbringer, me and Donnigan digged out the first rooms and a meeting hall. Our workshops are still located at the surface, but the Nightbringer does not wants them relocated to the underground yet.
He says our "priorities" are to dig out the old graveyard so we can reach the coffins. It will be a lot of work, since the whole thing sank into the muddy ground. There's only a small piece of walling left standing.
Bolli and Silu has started creating farming plots and stockpiling wood.

Note: Our lord just showed us his newest pet, a undead archangel. It filled the air with a stench only comparable by Ithra's cooking attempts.
We were all filled with joy by this new companion, but we decided not to name him yet. "Archangel" is still beter then "Urith". Such a dull name.

21st of Hematite, 1051.

A couple of harpies were attracted to our activity. You can't blame them, since I've seen nothing they could chew on around here, but I didn't felt a bit sorry when they encountered our skeleton horde.
It was kind of nice to see them getting ripped apart. I wonder if the Nightbringer could ressurect these too?

[ April 08, 2008: Message edited by: Asheron ]

Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 11:06:00 am »

Diary of Bolli, 19th of Hematite, 1051.

---oXo---

Yesterday was one of the best days in my life! You should have seen one of the harpies getting eviscerated!
One of the skeletons even managed to cut off both of one of the harpie's legs before it bled to dead. Fang offered me some harpy biscuits today. I was quite insulted. Fresh biscuits? Is this a tea party or something?

In other news, Donnigan was able to dig out part of the graveyard, but the Nightbringer has told us there are a lot more coffins then the 12 we found so far. I started destroying the graveyard wall anyway. We need the wood.

Diary of Desocucu, the Nightbringer, 19th of Hematite 1051.

--YsY---

I found the old records of Takrupan Kado wrote. It seems we lost a good bookkeeper. Well, he wouldn't survive for long anyway. His unpopularity among the acolytes would have doomed him when I would have replaced him with a new champion.
I have started a new register for the members of Othono:

:p

[ April 07, 2008: Message edited by: Asheron ]

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
  • The crazy in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »

its amazing how much like me "Fang" is.
nice start to the fortress/temple. i hope we find out whos with who soon.
Even the cutest things can be endearing when on fire. ~ Cajoes
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Donnigan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 08:09:00 pm »

Whoo!  I already got a babe!  Wonder which one it is...

Anyways, I'll wait to post Donns interpretation of events for a bit, or at least until I know who she is.

Edit:  Hey!  Apparently I'm the leader too!  Did that happen on purpose or was it just a thing with the expedition leader assigning?

[ April 07, 2008: Message edited by: Donnigan ]

hat exactly am I doing here?

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>Now you see, you gave me the idea to sleep in a brook, and a hippo bit my head off.</STRONG>

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 10:45:00 am »

Diary of Desocucu, the Nightbringer, 26th of Hematite, 1051.

---KdK---

Donnigan and Apug finished digging out the graveyard yesterday. You should have seen the look on their face when I told them this was the smallest one in this area.
I should be able to work with the death of this graveyard for some time anyway, so Donnigan and Apug have enough time to find a larger one. The ressurection room next to it still needs some finishing touches, but I can already start working with it.

Our underground Necropolis is rapidly developping. Soon, we'll be able to start the second step of my plan. But first, I need to gather my allies...

Sidenote: I think I'm going to name my new pet "Ramkal" after the ettin that lives nearby.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 11:48:00 am »

Diary of Thimeth Bokgirus, 27th of Hematite, 1051.

---HuH---

The mayor returned with some troubling news; the Archangel has been slain.
At the site of the battle, his men found the Archangel's halberd, covered in blood. There is no way the Archangel would leave such a holy and masterfully crafted weapon behind. Even worse, the necromancer's base is abandoned. Wherever they are now, it will take weeks, if not months to track them down.
Atleast we found the rotting carcass of one of his servants. Even though he did not deserve it, he was given a proper burial.

I'm going to stay here until the mayor has contacted the nearest city for help.

29th of Hematite, 1051.

The messenger from the city came today with some OVERWHELMING news.
I have been temporarely appointed to High Inquisitor. Which basically means I'm in charge. I'm having quite mixed feelings about this. I'm just a lowly ranger of the Imperial army, and I do not know how to lead, nor how to be a servant of God. I was even more amazed when I recieved a letter, personally signed by the local High Priest. He has given me his blessing to wield the Archangel's halberd. "Because of persistent bravery." he wrote. It is going to be brought to me any moment now. I am unskilled in wielding a halberd, but I will gladly exchange my lowely spear for such a divine weapon.  
Anyway, it looks someone up high is taking this even more serious. I've been given 50 men to aid me in my search, with another 50 coming in later next month.
I fear I will need them, as this necromancer seems to be a lot more dangerous then I thought...

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »

Diary of Bolli, 30th of Hematite

--YTY---

Life seems to become more stabile at Othono. The Nightbringer has been surprisingly quiet lately, and we are all wondering what his next step will be.
Us 7 might be able to hold back a small Imperial patrol or a random raid, but I fear that our numbers will not be enough to hold out untill we can marshall enough undead.
Well, the Nightbringer surely knows what he is doing. The House of Nights will stand strong again!
I'm getting used to the newcomers. They are even weirder then Ithra used to be, but I guess you can get used to everyone.
Especially that Silu is a strange one. He's been hanging around the crafting workshop lately, trying to get his hand's on one of Fang's stone mugs.
I can't blame him, since he has been making some real masterpieces. Especially the bone drawings on some of them are astonishing.

Some Gossip
-----------
I've been seeing Donnigan and Apug a lot together lately. Are they up to something? Surely, they couldn't be... nah...

Istria asked me if I have seen some vermin lately. She told me she needed something to cut up in to little pieces with her sword, or she would go mad.
Since the cat has had a successfull career as vermin catcher so far, I fear for her sanity. Come to think of it, I actually fear for the sanity of all of us. Ah well.

Fang nearly snapped after discovering one of his dogs died during the harpies attack some weeks ago. Apparently, creating the stone mugs kept him so occupied, he forgot about his dogs...
Luckily, Donnigan quickly faked a dog's burial place. I don't even want to know what he would do with that crafting knife if he discovered he detailled one of his mugs with his own dog's bones... I'd better keep this diary away from Fang's eyes...

[ April 09, 2008: Message edited by: Asheron ]

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 07:58:00 am »

Diary of Desocucu, the Nightbringer, 3th of Malachite, 1051.

---YuY---

I was able to contact some demon merchants from a nearby world after many futile attempts. Silu, who was near what now is our improvised trade depot, nearly had a hart attack when the demons portalled next to him.  
I presented myself as a wayward wizard with some apprentices searching for some rare mineral.
Although I doubt they believed me, I'm pretty sure they did not recognize me, luckily. can not risk being detected by anyone without allegiance to me. I doubt these merchants would have stayed neutral if they heard the price on my head.
We exchanged our finely crafted chalk mugs for some weaponry and rare minerals, in what seemed to be a good deal. Not that I know interworld prices...

---IOI---

9th of Malachite, 1051.

Thimeth was sitting next to the mayor on the city hall's balcony when they suddenly heard the sound of marching men.
"Looks like your men arrived."
Curious, Thimeth stood up and walked to the edge of the balcony, trying to get a glimpse of the arriving men.
Thimeth watched stunned how the soldiers marched disciplined into the village square in a straight line.
Deeply impressed, the mayor wistled.
"Paladins... looks like they aren't taking any chances, are they?"
Thimeth swallowed. Paladins... champions of men, divine soldiers of god and bringers of glory. They wielded the mightiest of weapons and the thickest of armour and were able to field any common men with in a blink of a moment.
"This is insane! A single paladin is supposed to support a full brigade, and I get to command six of them for barely fifty men."
The mayor laughed.
"Be thankfull you don't have to go fight this necromancer with a bunch of peasants. By the way, if that necromancer can field an archangel, you're going to need those paladins."
"I guess so..."
Suddenly, the entire brigade stopped in the middle of the village square.
Gathering all his courage, he climbed the edge of the balcony.
"Men of the empire! Today, another enemy of our king openly tries to insult us by desecrating the dead and bringing fear to our people!
Are we going to let this demon go on? NO! We will fight!"
Anticlimatically, none of the men cheered. What did they thought? That this small dwarf could not lead them?
He looked back to the mayor, hoping for some miracle to happen.
"The halberd!" he whispered.
"What?"
"Have you already been given it?"
"Yes, wait! It's next to my chair."
He leaped off insanely quick for a dwarf, took the glinstering halberd and crawled back on the edge of the balcony.
"You might think of me as but a meddling dwarf instead of a inspirational leader. Then think again, for I wield our god's eternal light.
I am your Grand Inquisitor!"
He raised his halberd into the air. It sparkled with light and it shined as the sun itself.
For a few seconds, the soldiers looked stunned at the halberd.
Then, the entire crowd began cheering.
"Grand Inquisitor! Grand Inquisitor! Grand Inquisitor!"
Thimeth grinned at the mayor. "Thanks for the help."
"No problem, "Grand Inquisitor"."
"Thats sir Grand Inquisitor the Great for you."

Silu

• Bay Watcher
  • The Perfectionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 08:45:00 am »

Nice story so far and by the way... It's Silu, not Islu. You have mistyped it two times by now.   :(

[ April 09, 2008: Message edited by: Silu ]

I'm the lunatic of God's creation.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 09:00:00 am »

Oops, sorry. I'll go correct that right away, before the carps get hungry...

Chapter II: Unholy Alliances.
-----------------------------

It was the most stormy night at Othono since the Nightbringer and his acolytes had arrived.
The lightning seemed to threaten to rip open the sky and the raindrops were not only twice the normal size, they also were pitch black, as if they were made of tar.
Everything tried to hide from the ravaging storm, and for once, their were no howls of hunting wolfs.
But out of thin air, a lone cloaked figure appeared. He seemed too large to be a human, but too small to be an elf. Slowly and confident, he waded through the mud and the rain, as if he knew exactly where he was going, even while he could not see further then a few feet.
Abruptly, he stopped at a large lone birch, looked around, and took something out of his pockets... a letter.
He started reading, even though he knew what it said. He had read it a hundred times, over and over again, just to be certain what he was reading was correct.
"Bren, dear friend. It's been ages. I hope you're not to busy, since I could use your help. I've been isolated in this bloody dull world with some incompetent followers of mine. Accompanied with this letter is a map with my whereabouts. I'm pretty sure you'll find me. This letter has been sent by an old gating network, so it will take the demons guarding the interworld traffic a while to find my exact location, but do hasten. Things are spiralling out of control over here.

Your friend, Gatrick.

P.S.: Bring some wine, will you? I haven't drunk anything decent since I have arrived here. Oh, and bring some of you're lovely servants.

First, he thought this was some kind of an ambush. But he recognized Gatrick's writing and his... unusual kind of humour.
He glanced at the map. This seemed to be the place. Now, to enter.
He knocked on the tree and said "Fear the House of Nights."
The tree suddenly came to life and replied. "Indeed, my friend. But did you bring some wine with you?"
He sighed. Typical. Trees demanding wine.
"Blackpond."
"Blackpond?"
"Just let me in!"
The ground next to the tree ripped open, revealing a hidden staircase.
"Next time, bring some Redmaiden. And where are those lovely servants of yours?"
"Ah yes, I almost forgot..."
He made a small hand gesture and just like him, more cloaked figures appeared out of nowhere.
"You brought Blackpond?" one of them jokingly asked.
"Just shut up, will you?"
The entire group descended the stairs and came into a dimly lit square room. Different statues were placed at it's corners in an effort to liven up the room a bit, and standing in the middle was a large stone throne, with Desocucu sitting on it.
"Ah Bren, old friend. Good of you to drop by."
"Gatrick! What trouble have you gotten into this time?"
"Quite a lot really. I have a lot of things to explain. But first, let Ramkal show you're friends their rooms. Ramkal! Bring these... people to their rooms."
The undead archangel appeared out of a large door in the right corner of the room. "As you command, mylord."
"Got a new pet, Gatrick?"
"Yes. You could say it some sort of a... welcome present from the Deui."
Bren frowned.
"A gift?"
"As I said, I have a lot of things to explain. Follow me to my quarters."
Curious, Bren looked around in what seemed to be Gatrick's new home while walking to Gatrick's quarters.
"So... since when do you live in such a small new home? Have you become bored of your old large necropolises?
"Ofcourse not. I've only arrived here a month ago and I have been babysitting my acolytes more then anything else. I guess I'll have to be glad with a bed and some basic furniture."
"Poor you. But tell me, what was so important I had to sneak past demons and elementals?"
"I might tell you, for a bottle of... Blackpond?"
"And I might tell you some news from the frontlines if I can drink along."
"Naturally, my friend. Have a seat."

Some time later...

"But tell me, Bren, how are things out there?"
"Chaotic at best. We've lost a couple of our undercover cells, and we are getting beated up from all sides. The fact that you were missing didn't make things better."
"I apologize for my abrupt disappearance, but it was the only way this diversion would ever succeed. If my plan works, we might be able to end this, Bren!"
"I understand. This war will go on for aeons if it is not stopped."
"And I need your help in ending it. We are isolated and Athari's servants know we are here. I need someone who could... persuade the human king into... donating us his lands..."
"Naturally. Persuasion is my trademark." Bren grinned.
Suddenly they heard a scream. "VAMPIRES! VAMPIRES!!!!"
"Gatrick."
"Yes Bren?."
"Don't yes me. You've FORGOTTEN to tell your acolytes about our arrival?"
"Hmmm. You could put it that way, but I prefer to call it 'lowering it's priority'."
"You'd better go and calm them down, before one of mine gets aggressive and beats up once of yours."
"Beats up? You think your lackeys are better then mine?"
"Come now. Humans?"
Gatrick sighed.
"I guess you're right. I'll go calm them down. And after that, I'll beat up one of yours to even the odds."
"You do that."
Laughing, Gatrick left the room.

[ April 13, 2008: Message edited by: Asheron ]

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008, 10:51:00 am »

Extra information.
------------------

-We have 41(!) skeletons by now, 3 of them are "pets" of Fang.

-Since a new migrant wave is coming up, applications are open once again.
Keep in mind you are a vampire if you join in on this migrant wave.

-Picture of the underground necropolis in it's current state
( notice the logo of Othono. Paint is so professional.)

-Picture of created wealth/food stocks

-Fellow acolytes are free to write diary entries whenever they want, as long as you don't break the main plot line. The more evil plots and gossip, the better...

---OiO---

Diary of Bolli, 11th of Hematite, 1051.

Poor Is... I mean Silu...
This night, some vampires arrived. Luckily for us, they were allies of the Nightbringer. Unluckily for Silu, he woke up everybody, thinking we were under attack.
I can still lively remember the conversation.
"Islu, I hope you can explain this."
"Mylord, it's Silu."
"What?"
"Silu, the name is Silu."
"I see. That explains why you assaulted one of the vampires, doesn't it?"
"But mylord, it was all so sudden and..."
"Ah yes, I see your superior reasoning. I can not compete which such intelligence, so I guess I'll have to go for the unreasonable penalty, no?"
"I beg you..."
"Ah yes, I know the perfect task for you. You'll be taking over the night watch from the skeletons for an entire month. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. Your task is to watch out for incoming elephants.
When you see one, imitate a carp being eaten by a toad."
"I guess argueing isn't going to change anything?"
"Indeed. Now go unleash some of your intelligent input to your fellow acolytes."

I feel a bit sorry for him. Ah well...
Even stranger was the conversation the Nightbringer had with Apug. After he saw her and Donnigan come out of the same quarters. Ouch.
"Ah Apug. Were you showing Donnigan around your quarters? I think I'll have to dissappoint you, all quarters are equally sized and have the same furniture in them."
"Uhm... actually I was... giving Donnigan some advice."
"Advice?"
"Uhu."
"If you just gave him some advice, I presume I won't find anything in your quarters, will I?"
After peeking into the quarters, the Nightbringer resumed.
"Ah! Now it's all clear to me. You wear giving him advice on underwear styling, weren't you? How else could there be a THONG laying on the floor of your bedroom?"
"Uhmm..."
"I guess I'll leave you two to your interesting conversation about underwear. Let me know how the session ended."  

Hilarious...

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2008, 01:14:00 pm »

Istria's diary

Undead pets, an undead archangel and now vampires. I wonder when the Nightbringer will stop gathering allies and start wreaking havoc. After all, vampires are supposed to be nearly immortal.

I still remember my first meeting with a vampire. I was supposed to put to rest the spirits of Copperpicks, a long abandoned dwarven fort. That guy nearly killed me, but fortunately I was not alone. There were a dozen Rash Brothers and a Loremaster. We had to track him down to the deepest parts of the fort, sealing the way behind us to prevent his escape. Eventually we found him and fought him for two days straight. We had to chop him to bits and burn every single chunk and scatter the ashes to the wind.

These vampires, however, don't strike me as particularly powerful. The nice thing is that I'll have an excellent occasion to study them and discover their powers and abilities.

I'll also have to find a way to send a message to my Brothers, but that will come later.

For now, I have to find ways to spend more time around these creatures.

Donnigan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2008, 08:46:00 pm »

Donns Log

Well...Coming here has been interesting.  Lotta Undead.  Bloody buggers smell awful. Apug seems to like them though...Guess I'll hafta get used to them.  And you know, Is it just me, or is even the Nightbringer a dense one?  He just outright caught us, and he took the whole "Advice"  Story.  He may be a Demi God, but he needs a clue...Anyways, I'm scheduled for an Advisatory meeting soon, so i gotta go!

hat exactly am I doing here?

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>Now you see, you gave me the idea to sleep in a brook, and a hippo bit my head off.</STRONG>
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7