Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Othono, A Tale of the Dead, story/(community) fortress.  (Read 26246 times)

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
Re: Othono, A Tale of the Dead, story/(community) fortress.
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2008, 11:56:00 am »

OOC: If anyone wants to rebel against the Nightbringer, tell me at advance. You will soon get the opportunity. That is, if the original members are still reading.

Chapter III: Night dawns.
--------------------------

" And so, on the 18th of Slate in the year 1051, the great wave casted down the human empire.
The capital city and many other coastal cities were flooded. Those who died, transformed into mindless, undead creatures, ready to spread death to their former friends and families.
With no sign of the king, the leaderless humans splintered into many factions, some who allied Othono, some who tried to save what was left of the once proud human empire. Humanity retreated into the savage, unhospitable mainland.
Othono grew as the new capital city of the world, attracting the last civilization that was left. And, indeed, as the Nightbringer had told them, now Othono was right at the beaches of the new Roasted Blueness.
Of the Nightbringer has not been heard since the ritual, but his left hand, Bren, assures them he is still alive and plotting for the next move.
Of Thimeth Bokgirus, Kira Treeshade and Duke Orion, no sign has been seen.  
The meteor has not only flooded lands, it has also teared open the heaven: now, a constant, threatening storm rages on across the ocean.
A reminder to humanity that their future is grim indeed. "

An extract from History of the Eternal Universe, by Apug Agemin.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »

Istria's diary

Why must good days bring bad news ? That fool back at the Mountainhomes who calls himself King still refuses to reinstate the House of Death. Looks like the destruction brought by the Nightbringer was not enough to have them peeing in their plate leggings. Of course I understand them. It's only a water and it's too far from the mountains to do any serious damage. I am starting to wonder if the Nightbringer has any plans to strike at them.

Still, I am not unhappy with my work here. I am learning so much from the creatures that live here, and with me being the Black Guardian High Officer I was able to collect precious knowledge discreetly. One of my subordinates reminds me of an adventurer whom I travelled with. I wonder what he has become.

I have also sensed an air of... hostility around here. It is as if some invisible force was trying to break Othono from within. I hear officers, soldiers and workers grumbling. Even the undead are ... difficult to be with. It is my duty to find out what is happening and report to the Nightbringer, else everything my Brothers are fighting for will be ... delayed.

Silu

• Bay Watcher
  • The Perfectionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2008, 01:34:00 pm »

OOC: Is Silu still alive? Not dead by undead carp?
I'm the lunatic of God's creation.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »

Diary of Apug Agemin, 3rd Sandstone, 1052.

It has been a long time since I have last written in my diary.
Much has changed.

Othono has won, and now, our great fortress has grown to a mighty force.
But this has come with a great cost.
Although Bren says otherwise, most of us believe the Nightbringer has disappeared. I believe this too.
With the Nightbringer gone, Bren has total control over Othono. Which makes him the prime suspect for his lord's disappearance.
He has taken power step by step, by first turning the Black Guardians into his own police force, making those who openly criticise him "disappear".
Then, he has been slowly taking command over the Archacolyte council, trying to influence its members. I fear Bolli has chosen his side. I am uncertain about what the others think.
I should have known it. I should have NEVER trusted that vampire.

Luckily, not all is lost. I sense many acolytes are unhappy with Bren.
Including that Black Guardian High Officer, Istria.
Her titel might be useful to our cause!

But for now, we should wait for a better moment.
Bren has been commanding the vast undead armies those flooded cities have created, crushing the human resistance. Even now, the human nations are being pushed back deeper and deeper into the mainland.
But I truely wonder what our purpose is now. What will we do with the elves? With the dwarves? I doubt it was the Nightbringer's plan to assimilate those.
But Bren seems to not to worry about that, though.
I fear for our future. For everyone's future.

OOC: Silu is still alive and kicking. Would want to side with Bren or Apug's resistance? It would be quite handy for my story if you were with Apug, as some kind of messenger of the Nightbringer. He did ressurect you.

[ May 12, 2008: Message edited by: Asheron ]

Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Donnigan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2008, 10:44:00 pm »

Donnigan's log Sandstone 3rd, 1052

Well...Things seem ta 'ave developed...The Nightbringer is gone and Mr high an' mighty Bren is in command...

I dun like it...Et seems ta clean.  As If he planned it...There seems ta be a shift in power soon...Bren's been pressuring the council to support him and I dun know what I'm gonna do...I'll go talk ta Apug...She'll know what to do.

OOC:  Donn is more than likely to side with Apug in this, if only because he is with her.

hat exactly am I doing here?

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>Now you see, you gave me the idea to sleep in a brook, and a hippo bit my head off.</STRONG>

Silu

• Bay Watcher
  • The Perfectionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2008, 12:51:00 am »

OOC: Silu shall side with Apug. Just keep his bony ass away from imminent danger okay?
I'm the lunatic of God's creation.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2008, 09:58:00 am »

Diary of Bren, 8th Sandstone, 1052.

Pityfull humans.
Yesterday, I have recieved word of yet another victory for Othono.
The once grand city of Arake has been reduced to rubble, it's inhabitants are slaugthered, and it's treasures are being brought to Othono.
Still, we might be winning victory after victory, more pressing concerns are developping here; I feel unrest in Othono. I must quickly end this, before those foolish acolytes get it to their heads to rebel. The paranoia hangs in the air of Othono as a thick smoke, choking them in their own distrust and disbelief.

Other, more minor news, is the start of a large aboveground barracks. The first stones are just laid; it will take a few months before its completion.
It will be able to field our men when we can get our hands at an anvil. The fall of the human empire has increased rarity of the most ridicule of objects, so I fear it will take a while untill we can acquire one.
On another note, it seems those bloody harpies just can't keep themselves off Othono's walls. This is the third time this month those beasts try to attack our farmers. Luckily, one of our men, Dari, has become quite adept at killing those feathered mongrels. They even call him "Fear of Feathers".
Until we can employ a standing army, he and our undead will have to keep those harpies off us.

P.S.: employ a full-time cleaning team to keep our walls bloodstain-free.

10th of Sandstone, 1052.

A new caravan of imigrants have arrived, raising our population to 45.
Not a bad number, seeing how much people died in the siege of Othono.
To bad those founding acolytes are still alive. Their mortal minds are too weak, and will limit Othono. The only one on my side is Bolli, and she was not that hard to convince...
Power if a mighty tool in the hands of the capable.

0n another note, I have contacted some of our more proficient mechanics. I require a more efficient way of transport to communicate with our northern front and to improve our importing of loot and men from the ruins of the city.
And thus, I have created the Transport and Technology Office; a guild completely dedicated to importing and exporting and finding ways to make it more profitable.
They have promised me they will start researching. I am curious if they will invent something useful.

1st of Timber, 1052.

We have added some new quarters, since Othono has becoming too small for the new arrivals. Also, we have created a new still to support the increasing need for beer.

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: Asheron ]

[ May 28, 2008: Message edited by: Asheron ]

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2008, 05:42:00 am »

If there is anyone who wants to claim a dwarf/human/elf/..., you can join at any time ( we have over twenty spots ).

Diary of Apug Agemin, 6th of Moonstone, 1052.

It seems that their are more acolytes then I thought that want to get rid off Bren. Both Silu and Donnigan have approached me.
Apparently, they see me as some sort of a leader. I have no idea how to lead, but I will try. For the Nightbringer.

Bren has been continueing his dictatorial reign. Without asking the archacolyte council, he has created the so called "Transport and Technology Office". Whatever contraption he is planning to make, I am pretty sure it won't be just for some innocent 'Transporting'.
To continue his insolence, he has given the order to create an aboveground barracks. Although I do have to agree with him at that point. Our militias need to be able to act fast when trouble arises. In Othono's case, when those bloody harpies decide to go on another suicidal rampage.

In other news, disturbing rumors has been circulating Othono.
Apparently, a hero has risen up from the human nations and has started to unite them in a heroic attempt to save his people. Strangely though, the hero is a dwarf.

Speaking of dwarfs, I have noticed a dwarven twin by the names of Ushav and Otir. They have created themselves a sort of enterprise; they offer gambling matches around our infamous skeleton Rodrick. Yes, he still lives. Sort of.
I've heard it some kind of a mix between tic tac toe and guess-how-long-Rodrick-will-keep-standing-this-time. Whatever it might be, it has flooded Othono with cheap prize-trinkets.

[ May 10, 2008: Message edited by: Asheron ]

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2008, 11:53:00 am »

---Y- Transcript of the first meeting of the Transport and Technology Office -Y---
By Hok Sukuthratpin.

Thabi: All righto. All mechanics are here?
Esme: Oy.
Ushcen: Yep.
Iwa: Yar.
Thabi: Ok. Hok, ya've got tha noted?
Hok: Yeah yeah. Get on with it.
Thabi: All righto.
Hok: Stop saying all righto. Righto isn't even a word.
Thabi: It is!
Ushcen sighs.
Hok: All right. What have we got, boys?
Esme: I've got here me prototype.
Esme puts a small machine on the table.
Iwa: Whazz that?
Esme: This is the best form of transport yar ever seen! The mountainhomes will turn yellow in anguish once they're heard they've sent away thar best mechanic.
Thiz is a coal activated road transport, codenamed CART.
Thabi: That sounds interested.
Esme points to the prototype
Esme: The CART lookz like a normal wheelbarrow. But ifz someone puts in coal over yonder.
Esme puts a handful of coal into a small inlet.
Esme: And then operates tzhe handpump.
Esme pushes a small lever down. What follows if a bright flash and the cart flying off the table, pushing over one of the glasses of beer.
Iwa: Oy! ME BEER!
Iwa jumps ontop of Esme.
Hok: Stop it you two!
Iwa: 'E started it! Neva attack me beer!
Iwa gets back to his seat.
Hok: Impressive Esme, but aah.. won't it be slightly... risky?
Iwa: Nay, we make these road-like construction that I've called 'tracks' you see, and the CART will go right were you want 'im.
Thabi: That coulda work. Anyone got anystuff else?
Hok: Nay. And anystuff isn't a word either.
Thabi: Nitpicka.
Iwa: I got this other thingy. Its not usefull for transport, but ya can crush stone withz it.
Thabi: Crush stonez?
Iwa: Yar. 'Ave you seen the amount of stones laying all over Othono!
Ushcen: Yeah! Rodrick tripped ova one, just when he wuz going to break his record! I lost a bloody keg o beer because of thatz!
Hok: Sigh. Tell us about this... stonecrusher-thing?

The conversation continues and becomes more abstract ( or better, absurd ).
Apparantly, the mechanics become more drunk by the minute.

Thabi: Hick, we'v-hick-dun herez. We'ze-hick deservez some beer!
Iwa: BEER!

Diary of Bren, 21th Moonstone, 1052.

Finally, some good news.
First of all, the completion of the first level of our barracks has been completed. Even more, we have builded two smaller barracks dedicated for sleep and they can function as spare lodgings.

Also, our new southern hallway is completed, fittingly nicknamed 'Hall of Blood'. It is the first thing fully dedicated to the rich kaolinite deposits of Othono.
It leads to both new quarters and the office of Transport and Technology.
Also, I think I have an idea to expand it. I am not sure yet if it is possible to pull off.

And last, but not least, the office of Transport and Technology has informed me they are making a lot of progress. They just need some time to experiment. If this works out well, I might be tempted to increase their beer rations.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2008, 03:29:00 am »

Diary of Apug Agemin, 29th Moonstone, 1052.

Bren has once again completely ignored the archacolyte council.
He has ordered the construction of a watch tower. It will be built right infront of our gate, and another bridge mechanism, along with some channeling, will be built to defend it. As if we have need for it.

But even more ridiculous is that he has proposed the construction of an ARENA.
That's right. An arena. Why not build an entire palace why we are at it.
What are we supposed to do in there? Rodrick versus camel Todd battles? What's next?

An underground highway road. That's right.
Those lunatics at Transport and Technology has created a new sort of transport. I overheard it's codenamed CART. And, apparently, they need some kind of road for it. So they go ahead and make a bloody underground tunnel that will stretch for miles. I wonder who they will find for that.

13th of Opal, 1052.

One of our metalsmiths, Esme, seems to be in quite a strange mood. I wonder what she's up to...

[ May 11, 2008: Message edited by: Asheron ]

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2008, 04:24:00 am »

Diary of Bren, 15th Opal, 1052.

We have annexated yet another piece of land from the humans. It looks like nothing will be able to stop Othono! The humans are crippled and are but steps away from complete defeat.
Our armies have become enormous, as with every victory, the plague that these undead have claim new undead soldiers. I will soon have to depart to the frontlines to give new orders and to manage the whole lot.
But I fear for what will happen with this fort when I leave it unchecked. Many of the acolytes would gladly take control at the cost of me.
I just hope these mortals will not foil our plan, or we are all doomed.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2008, 09:13:00 am »

Othono finally appears on the DF map archive! Woohoo!
Now even more people shall know its name and tremble...  :D  http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2644-othono

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2008, 08:55:00 am »

Diary op Apug Agemin, 1st of Granite, 1053.

And so, Othono goes into her third year of existence. Actually, most of us did not realise until Bren told them. Not a lot happened. We did throw in a party at the end of the day to celebrate. Since we have two stills, we could drink twice as much beer before the supplies ran out! Hurrah!

10th of Granite, 1053.

---IOI---

Esme Ejasinut went insane this morning. She has been alternatively crying and laughing, unnerving her fellow acolytes. I have requested the Black Guardians to lock her away and see if there is anything we can do for her. Luckily, not a single person knew her well, so we won't have any sobbing here in Othono.

12th of Granite, 1053.

---HjH---

It looks like even the "best" of races can still harbour traitors. An elven caravan has arrived from the Riverspring nation. For now, we shall not kill them. They might be of some use to us against the Treeshade nation, and we might be able to do some proper business with them

In other news, the arena is nearing completion. Different acolytes have started engraving it, and the result are some superb drawings. Especially the one's Donnigan made. I think I should bring him another visit...

[ May 12, 2008: Message edited by: Asheron ]

[ May 13, 2008: Message edited by: Asheron ]

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2008, 10:18:00 am »

Diary of Bren, 13th of Granite, 1053.

The elves left furiously after Fang offered them a mug engraved with harpy bone. Pssh. Those treehuggers won't buy anything that has any relation to an animal or a tree what so ever. Luckily, they 'forgot' some of their rope reed cloth after we 'showed' them the way out. I'm not really sure what we are going to do with rope reed cloth, but atleast we have it.
In other news, our arena is complete. The strange dwarven twin I have seen around here has asked me if they could hold gambling matches in there.
Since that is better than having large crowds gathering up in our hallways to see Rodrick fall, I agreed.

In other news, I have asked some of my most trusted agents to report who could be a possible threat while I am away.
While they investigate whatever resistance is going on against me, I will be going through the archacolytes records. I might find something useful.

These are the skills you guys ( and gals ofcourse ) have on the moment. If I forgot someone, or if you want your guy to concentrate on other skills then he has on the moment, feel free to say so.

14th of Granite, 1053.

I have ordered the miners to dig out a kaolinite storeroom. I don't want any precious red stones to linger around when we dig out the kaolinite deposits.

[ May 13, 2008: Message edited by: Asheron ]

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2008, 08:04:00 am »

15th of Granite.
Transcript of the underground tracks.
By Gisep Pujaishia

Ay, that Bren wants the tunnel digged out by the end of the month. He's nutters, I tell you.
"Ay! Donn! Stop playing around and work for a change!
It seemed to be quite a mistake to put that Donn and Apug together in the mining schedule.
"LOVEBIRDS! Get workin' before that Black Guardian guy gets back to check on us."
We've been digging one level higher then Othono, 'cause the sandy clay here is much easier to dig out then the jet and chalk in Othono itself.
Either way, we've seen haulers going up and down all day, preparing the stone deposit. Don't ask me why that Bren guy wants to export stone anyway.
"Ay, Boss! We've found something. Oh-shi!"
"Whats that, Donn?"
"We hit a cave, sir. Get Dari down here. I'm not digging any further, ya know. Troglodytes are nasty stuff."
Just their luck.
"Right. I'll get him. Stay here."
"STAY HERE? ARE YA MAD?"
"Yell even harda, Donn. They CAN'T HEAR YOU."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some minutes later...

"Oy, Donn, I brought Dari and some bonesacks."
"About time, for fuck's sake!"
Heh. Look's like Apug was pissed.
"Here I am. What seems to be the trouble."
"Ay." Donnigan said "We digged right into the cave system! I'm not continueing without someone watchin me back, ya know."
"Alright. Do you have any idea what's in here?"
"Accept da load of harpies? Probably Troglodytes. They love this sorta stone. I can kno', you know. I've used to work in a smithy plagued by these."
"Alright, that's not too bad. Continue the work."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ May 14, 2008: Message edited by: Asheron ]

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7