Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Crystalveil, Community Fortress  (Read 15155 times)

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
Re: Crystalveil, Community Fortress
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 01:08:00 am »

I pick waterfall. BTW people look at my story =\ see if it isnt crap. I need to go bye.  :D
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 01:31:00 am »

Excellent. I'll start this soon. I have an idea for the entrance being on the waterfall cliff, shamelessly stolen from that one thread about the giant cat fortress.

code:
     |~
    |~<- B
A ->|~
    |__~<- C
E ->D__~<- D
    |  ~<- F
    |  ~

A) Cliff, where the waterfall comes off
B) Water
C) The top bridge, which prevents water from washing dwarves off of...
D) ... the bottom bridge. This would retract to deny passage to the fort, which is always cool.
E) The entrance. Behind this is the fort. Yay, fort.
F) Water, redirected on its way down to the lower river.

This will be kind of hard, but awesome in every way.

Now that we know where we're going, it's time for the NAME COMPETITION! Name the fort, it has to be cool and fitting (somehow).

Also, you guys can post your dwarves' journals, containing their take on what's happening in the fort and stuff. You don't have to, but whatever you want. You can also get a back story for your dwarf.

And you can make requests for supplies to bring, but keep it cheap (<100 monies, or something like that). You can have more if your request is cool. The only thing that the mods will be affecting so far is that we'll have Cave Carrots, which are plump helmets with a different name and color and stuff.

Next post, I'll tell you all how we're going to handle marriages and stuff.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 01:36:00 am »

The Bat Cave
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 01:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mulch Diggums:
<STRONG>The Bat Cave</STRONG>

Names have to be possible with the Dwarf Fortress Name Generator Thing © 2007 Toady One Inc.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 01:45:00 am »

Did give you a name.  :p

quote:
Originally posted by bigmcstrongmuscle:
<STRONG>Give me a Mason named Gild(a) of whatever gender - You'll need one eventually. </STRONG>

As for fortress names...Zasbisek, Crystalveil. The group name should be The Soaked Beards.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 01:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by bigmcstrongmuscle:
<STRONG>Did give you a name.   :p</STRONG>

Yeah, I edited that out of my post. Damn, I need to learn how to read. Of course, it might help if I didn't stay up until 2:00 in the morning. I'm going to go lay down and get a huge flashing letter Z hovering several inches above my unconscious body.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 02:13:00 am »

And now Mr. K's bio as stolen from the first fortress he appeared in.

He comes from a family of Dwarven entertainers from the mountain homes. Though he was kicked from the city cause of his special pink dwarven wine, though he claims it was meant to enhance the show his family put on.

---------------------New Info----------------------
Also he is currently running from an Ex-wife demanding child support, even though the child is making its own money.   She just wants that new beard braid that is all the rage.

(or we can ignore that last part about child support if we are a bit more serious here.)

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2008, 02:31:00 am »

BIO: Gild is an down-on-his-luck stoneworker who was kicked out of the Stonemason's Guild, after he went to drink some dwarven ale in the middle of installing the safety supports, causing a horrific cave-in on the next shift. Now unable to get work in the Mountainhomes, he found out about the expedition and decided it was an opportunity to start fresh.  However, while reading about the site, he got a little hungry and went to find some plump helmets, completely missing the part about there being no stone on site above the aquifer.  He prefers that nobody find out about his occasional lapses in competence, to the point of telling ballooningly stupid lies to try and cover them up.

-------------------------------------

Hmmm...just noticed that the map is warm, which means little to no water freezing. We're gonna need some pumpage to bust through that aquifer, and it looks like we'll need to bring the stone for the mechanisms, unless those other biomes have a break in them.

That's a pretty sweet entryway design, though. I assume you're building a causeway out of ramps to get up to the proper height or something?

I have a suggestion, too, for when we reach the clifftops and have the spare wood or stone.  If the falls are made wider than the entry, we should totally put a drawbridge hidden on the riverbed above to cause the waterfall to part and reveal our entrance;

code:
Artist's rendition (front view):

BEFORE:
   _________
OOOO~~*~~~~~~OOOO
OOOO~~~~~~~*~OOOO
OOOO*~~~~~~~~OOOO
OOOO~~~%~~*~~OOOO
OOO^%^%^%^%~%%OOO
=~~~~~/"""\~~~~~=

AFTER:
      ___
   __[   ]__
OOOO~~[___]~*OOOO
OOOO~*     ~~OOOO
OOOO~~  _  *~OOOO
OOOO~~_{|}_%~OOOO
OOO%^%~/_\~^%^OOO
=~~~~~/___\~~~~~=

EDIT: Added a bio for Gild.

[ March 30, 2008: Message edited by: bigmcstrongmuscle ]

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2008, 11:37:00 am »

No, I'd have ramps to get a path down to drawbridge level. And to allow wagon access to drawbridge level. But, from the top view, the entrance is supposed to look like this:
code:
Z+1       ▒.',▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▼▼▼▒
▒╔═══════╗▒▒▒▒▒
▒║+++++++║▒
▒╚═══════╝▒
▒         ▒

Z+0       ▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒',.▒▒▒▒▲▲▲▒
▒╔═══════╗.',.▒
▒║+++++++║,.',▒
▒╚═══════╝',.'▒
▒         ▒▒▒▒▒

Of course, the direction of the ramp will change.

Oh, and how many mechanisms will we need to bust open an aquifer? I'm going to need to add that to the beautiful blue cobaltite we'll be using for the bridges. And should they be rough bridges (≈≈≈ instead of +++)?

Also, this is how I'm going to handle marriage and children: if your spouse has been claimed by another person, nothing happens just yet, but the parents take turns (starting with the mother) naming and claiming the babies. It the spouse is not claimed by a person, you get your spouse and all the babies.

If you have a baby, then when they grow into a child you can start doing stuff with them. If they grow up and get married (not likely), you get to do the whole thing again. If you want, you can just leave it at naming the children (and your spouse), and only control your original dwarf, only using the wife and kids as backup if (when) your dwarf dies. If your dwarf had no wife or kids, then just ask for a new one like people usually do.

Edit: I've completely underestimated the power of the Eastenter! It's so wide, the largest size of bridge can only make it a third of the way across! It's HUGE and we'll have to reformulate a plan.

[ March 30, 2008: Message edited by: penguinofhonor ]

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2008, 11:57:00 am »

Okay, I gotta ask,  how are you getting those Dithered blocks?
I can't find windows alt-code for it, and damn quick-key doesn't have those characters in it.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »

code:

Z+1    
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒&#961 8;▒▒▒▒▒
▒             +++             ▒
▒             +++             ▒
▒             O═O             ▒
▒                             ▒
▒                             ▒▒▒
▒                             ▒▼.
▒                             ▒▼'
▒                             ▒▼,

Z+0
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒.',▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒&# 9618;▒▒
▒             ╔═╗             ▒
▒             ║+║             ▒
▒             ║+║             ▒▒▒
▒             ║+║╔════════╗+++'▲▒
▒             ║+║║++++++++║+++,▲▒
▒             ╚═╝╚════════╝+++.▲▒

Since it is so large way not use something like this. The set up under the waterfall would cause water to fall over the sides instead of on the road.

[ March 30, 2008: Message edited by: THLawrence ]

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »

Well, for each screw pump, you're going to need three units of wood (one corkscrew, one block, one pipe). You'll need four wood for each windmill or three for each waterwheel you use. You will probable also need some for axles, but how much will vary based on how close the power source is to the pumps.

The perpetual motion power supply used on the wiki video is a very good one, but be aware that the pump design as written won't work anymore. Now you've *also* got to lay channels on the other side of each screw pump, which allow you to absorb water back into the aquifer. Once you do that, it'll be fine.

Technically, the project can be accomplished without any stone at all, but you'll need one mechanism for each gearbox you use, either to transmit power or to shut off with a lever (which takes three more). If you want control over your pumps, that means at least four mechanisms (gearbox, lever, and two connections), possibly more if one axle won't cut it. I'd bring at least ten, just in case you need them.

LOL about the river. Big river = more awesome. To access the middle of the waterfall cliff, you could build a 3-wide path or arch across it, (bridges alone won't work, they don't support construction) but we may need a temporary entrance to the fort in the meantime. if you really want to use bridges, you'll have to make walls or floors on either side to support them.

code:

Arch schematic, if you're as paranoid as me about the 7-tile cave-in code going back in.
_ = Floor
O = Wall
/ = Ramp
~ = water
| = bank
= = ground

|-6s-|     ______
      _____/O    O\____
..____/O               O\____..
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Do however many layers of six tiles gets you across.

EDIT: Oh right, down.  Uhhmm...the arch would still work, You'd just need to build it ascending in one direction and place the bridge at the top of it.

code:

Revised arch schematic.
_ = Floor
O = Wall
/ = Ramp
~ = water
| = bank
. = ground
= = bridge

|_                    |/
:_                    |\  <- Wagon access ramps (not to scale)
| ====O\____          |/
|          O\____     |\
|               O\____./
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »

THLawrence, I'd still need something covering the top of the entrance (at least where it's close to the waterfall) because the water running off of the bridge would push dwarves into the vicious schools of carp. There will be many of those, believe me. We'll need a marksdwarf to get rid of the buggers.

Edit:

quote:
Originally posted by Kaelem Gaen:
<STRONG>Okay, I gotta ask,  how are you getting those Dithered blocks?
I can't find windows alt-code for it, and damn quick-key doesn't have those characters in it.</STRONG>

Use Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map

Edit2: THLawrence, ignore that, I wasn't paying attention to your whole post.

[ March 30, 2008: Message edited by: penguinofhonor ]

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 12:37:00 pm »

Can we get a preview of the area. Just a map loaded to the archive.

Also for supplies:
I vote we should bring some turtles. After that dogs.

[ March 30, 2008: Message edited by: THLawrence ]

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »

Ooooh, I forgot to switch to DOS Unicode.

*hehs*

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4