Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Crystalveil, Community Fortress  (Read 14909 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Crystalveil, Community Fortress
« on: March 29, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »

Yeah, so I'm starting a third community fortress. Join at your own risk.

Our future home lies somewhere in The Future Domain, and I'll get to that in a minute. You guys get to vote on all sorts of stuff.

The Location:

1: Waterfall! (we chose this)
Somewhere around where the brook Flighthobbled and the minor river The Twinkling Shells merge into the river Eastenter, causing it to become a major river, my cliff-detecting equipment has shown that there are two waterfalls. The problem is that, like many rivers, the Eastenter is surrounded by an aquifer.
The most promising option is, of course, where the minor river enters it because minor rivers are so much more exciting than brooks. The surrounding area is known as The Lean Swamps. It is also within walking distance of the human city Gelulegu.

Pros: Carp, waterfall, 4 soil layers for much farming.
Cons: Carp, aquifer.

2: Evil hills
The Hill of Soots, where it is intersected by the brook Clingdumplings (amazing name). It's sinister, which is kinda cool, and doesn't have an aquifer, which is cooler, as most hills have aquifers. It's near the dwarven fortress of Gemsitmörul.

Pros: Sinister, no aquifer.
Cons: Kind of boring.

3: Nist Akath fun in a winter wonderland!
The Blighted Winter is a haunted tundra. Four soil levels, and an aquifer so we can have some water that isn't frozen to death. A decent ways to the northwest is the dwarven fortress of Bomrekenôr.  To the west is the serene elven forest, the Tenebrous Jungle, with some forest retreats in it.

Pros: Challenging, haunted, no trees.
Cons: C-c-c-cold..., aquifer (not as bad on freezing maps though).

And that's really it. Yeah, I'm only giving three. The six dwarves will be claimed, and from those, we seven will decide where to go, then when that's done we'll decide what to name it, then when that's done we'll decide the name, then the supplies.

You can ask anything you want about the surrounding territory later if you want to talk about where your dwarf came from, or any other flavor stuff. I'll have the deity list in my next post.

My vote is with the tundra, but the river comes in a close second and the hills in a close third place. As usual, claim a dwarf, and you can decide skills if you want (skills only, though).

Oh, and these first posts will be filled with random information in random order, so read carefully.

[ March 29, 2008: Message edited by: penguinofhonor ]

[ March 30, 2008: Message edited by: penguinofhonor ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Crystalveil, Community Fortress
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »

Considering the fate of your last fort, I think I'll pass.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »

Well, to be fair to him, looking at his last fortress, nobody seemed to be interested at all.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »

I request a dwarf, then!

If you can find a dwarf with the first name Dastot, name him/her Brandur. Or, if you can find one named Lokum, name him/her Geir. If neither appears, name him Guğbrandur/Gudbrandur, or her Guğrún/Gudrun.

5 stonecrafter/4 mechanic/1 Appraiser.

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 02:02:00 pm »

Boski, what location do you vote for?

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 02:07:00 pm »

Tundra, mostly. Possibly the river though.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 02:13:00 pm »

I'll Join
Name: Kira
Skills:
5-Mining
1-Swimming
1-Wrestling
3-Bowyer

I vote for the rivers. Let there be carp.

ParrotPatrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 02:27:00 pm »

Name a dwarf Parrot after me. I shall be the resident Bad Ass. Don't let me die  :(
Gimmie an axe or a crossbow.
Split the skills evenly between armor user, ambusher, and crossbow/axe+shield user, whichever one you pick.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Considering the fate of your last fort, I think I'll pass.</STRONG>

quote:
Originally posted by Kogan Loloklam:
<STRONG>Well, to be fair to him, looking at his last fortress, nobody seemed to be interested at all.</STRONG>

It can be easy to drown in the sea of Community Fortresses around here. Even the creator of a good community fortress can, should he glance in the direction of Nist Akath, become disheartened; its shadow is vast and blocks the light for miles. It seems to be, for some, both the very definition of community fortresses and the greatest community fortress there is. It's easy to get your sense of proportion messed up by it.

Anyway, I vote for the waterfall.
Since so few people request the Ladydwarves, I'll take one: Name her Clara please, and make her a 5 grower\5 herbalist. Disturbingly undwarflike, she enjoys spending time outdoors and loves aboveground plants. She uses her herbalism to harvest seeds and her growing to plant them, since the mountain-homes are sadly devoid of aboveground crops.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 02:46:00 pm »

Parrotpatrol, I'm giving you a little woodcutting if we're in an area with trees. Also, I lied about getting the worship list in my second post. Here it is, for future reference:
There are multiple dwarf civs, as well. Medium size world.
The Gold of Ash
  • Omer, deity: wealth, jewels
  • Lokum, deity: fortresses, war
  • Ber, deity: metals
  • As‰n Gorgebronze the Coal of Mining, deity: mountains, caverns
  • Ral, deity: minerals
  • Monom Sweetlathered, deity: persuasion, speech
  • Cog the Ferocious Tempest, deity: revenge
  • Zulban, deity: victory, gambling
  • Som, deity: inspiration
  • Thoth the Adventurous Tufts, deity: trickery, volcanos, fire, the sun, nature
  • Krar, deity: courage
  • Dostik, deity: muck

The Inky Bolts

• AthnŒr, deity: metals, fire, the sun, light
  • Okosh, deity: fortresses, war
  • Zas, deity: jewels
  • Etur the Tin Avalanche, deity: mountains
  • As‰n the Bejeweled Silvers, deity: wealth, minerals
  • Etom, deity: charity
  • Lek Flewrobust the Goal of Saviors, deity: courage
  • M‹shak Sunsuitor, deity: silence, lust

The Constructive Crafts (look at this one instead, I made a mistake)

• Deler, deity: minerals
  • Ral, deity: wealth, trade
  • Thol, deity: mountains, caverns
  • Keshan, deity: metals, fire, the sun
  • Likot, deity: jewels
  • Taran, deity: fortresses, war, valor
  • Disuth, deity: lies
  • Thun Wildstrength, deity: storms
  • Lenod, deity: children
  • Izeg Dawnhail the Waxy Lizard of Birds, deity: fish
  • Nokgol the Subtlety of Auras, deity: gambling, mist
  • Kogan Waxedglowed, deity: agriculture, the rain, rainbows, the sky, the moon, trickery

I'll choose the civ that's closest to our starting location, which means...
A) Waterfall = The Gold of Ash (we chose this)
B) Evil Hills = The Constructive Crafts
C) Evil Tundra = The Inky Bolts

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 09:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by GRead:
<STRONG>
It can be easy to drown in the sea of Community Fortresses around here. Even the creator of a good community fortress can, should he glance in the direction of Nist Akath, become disheartened; its shadow is vast and blocks the light for miles. It seems to be, for some, both the very definition of community fortresses and the greatest community fortress there is. It's easy to get your sense of proportion messed up by it.
</STRONG>

I disagree. Nist Akath is a great fortress-inspired story, but I view it less of a community fortress then a community story, since he uses Dwarf Companion and all kinds of stuff of that nature. Then again, he did reach the point in the fortress where it isn't possible to have it fall apart. Once that happens, not much you can do...
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 11:43:00 pm »

Sadly, I never got to find out who Mr. K  married in the previous one, and so...

I call in a recently divorced  Mr. K,  brewer (if applicable)

And I call the one with the Quartzite (That the waterfall?)

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 12:14:00 am »

Might as well. Give me a Mason named Gild(a) of whatever gender - You'll need one eventually. As secondaries, give your choice of either Mining/Architecture, Weapon/Armorsmithing, or Fishing/Fish Cleaning/Bonecarving: whichever suite you think will be handier when we embark.

My vote is for the Falls (With the main entrance built into the cliffs behind them, natch). Second is the Tundra - (Aquifer fishing FTW). Third the Hills (In which case, I request a ton of ridiculous building projects with the absurd masses of stone you'll unearth).

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 12:26:00 am »

Give me mulch. After I read this alil more i'll post what i want his stats to be.
I'll take Cook/brewer/and the rest of the points into hammer dwarf.

Mulch grew up in the southern mountainhomes learning his fathers trade, cooking. His father taught him the art of mincing plump helmats just right so they retain their flavor. He taught him how to remove turtle and cave lobster meat from their shells without breaking the shell to mutch. He taught him to identify every spice every meat and every plant that was in a meal. All these things made him a wonderfull cook, yet, he was not happy. He loved cooking but what he truely wanted to do was become a professional wrestler.
   Mulch would see wrestling shows being put on in the market as him and his father were out buying ingredients. He would love to watch the wrestlers fight and always wanted to wrestle with the other children in the sand box, but his father hated all manner of combat and wrestling in his mind was just another art of killing. His father noticed the boys intrest in wrestling and forbid him from ever doing it. From that day on his father had him in the kitchen at all hours forcing him to cook and to become a great chef. By the time he had come of age he was already working in one of the fanciest restraunts in the mountainhome. He had a well paying job, a wonderfull room, and his own tamed
giant leopard named poncho. [The story has to stop here for now. I have to go to somthing and i wont be back till tomorow afternoon. Posting it any ways. Tell me if you like it so far!]

[ March 30, 2008: Message edited by: Mulch Diggums ]

ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 01:02:00 am »

Okay... All 7 of the dwarves have been claimed:

Me
Boski
Kaelem Gaen
THLawrence
Mulch Diggums
ParrotPatrol
bigmcstrongmuscle

VOTES:

code:
Tundra-   ||
Hills-    
Waterfall-|||
None Yet- ||

Well, it seems that it's either the tundra or the waterfall. Mulch and ParrotPatrol need to cast the deciding vote, or votes. If either one of them wants the waterfall, then it's the waterfall. If they both want the tundra, then it's the tundra. SUSPENSE!

My dwarf will be the dwarf whose stats depend on what we still need. Named... Mr. Mustard or Helen Wheels (depending on gender).

Start thinking up fortress names, too.

Also, I'm using the angler mod, two or three (five, actually) plants from the botany mod, and the ingenious "Make rope reed/pig tail matress" bed-making reaction (modified to use 3 bolts of cloth instead of one), just so nobody panics when something unusual happens.

Edit: I'm too dumb to see that someone actually did give me a name for their dwarf...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4