Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Journey to the Center of the Earth: a Challenge  (Read 4512 times)

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
Journey to the Center of the Earth: a Challenge
« on: April 30, 2008, 05:34:00 pm »

Came up with this idea after reading about the Chasm Challenge thread, and pondered it for a few days. Besides, chucking things down bottomless pits is always fun!

CHALLENGE:

Build a giant cylinder suspended above an open pit-chasm. Build it to house a bunch of dwarves and all the food and supplies they'll need down in the bosom of the world. Then, when it's all finished, flip a lever and send the whole contraption into the abyss, where groves of Tower-Caps thrive, oceans of beer ebb and flow, and there's nary an elf in sight!

Your Ludicrous Dwarven Exodus Device(tm) must:

* Be able to hold at least twenty dwarves.

* Be able to fall cleanly to the bottom(i.e., everything reaches the very lowest z-level, nothing landing on ledges on the way down.)

* Have room for supplies for the lucky spelunkers.

Bonus if you:

* Freeze the crew via the Obsidian Cryogenics method.

* Install an Urist Industries Adolescent Feline Impact Absorbance System (A box full of kittens strapped to the nose/floor/etc. to cushion the landing.)

* Compile an interior museum of dwarf history to teach future generations about the surface world.

* Whatever other wacky and dwarfy ideas you can come up with.

Teams are acceptable if you like.

Well? Hop to it!

[ April 30, 2008: Message edited by: Impending Doom ]

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
Re: Journey to the Center of the Earth: a Challenge
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

Sounds simple enough. It'll give my forts some meaning, and serve as a refresher for the 'build a fake human town with dwarven caravan cannabals' project's archetecture.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 08:00:00 pm »

Obsidian freezing?

It's just the center of the earth, not space. Heck, you have gravity to help you!  

If this is done, it had better be made with a video.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 08:09:00 pm »

The obsidian freezing is there to keep the crew from being liquefied on impact. They'll probably be falling several miles, and terminal velocity will come pretty quickly. Not to mention the jostling on the way down if the chasm isn't perfectly straight. So basically, it's the dwarven substitute for a crash couch.
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 08:37:00 pm »

Why not fill a room with kittens? Use their soft bodies to cushion the fall.

Heck, strap 'em to the bottom to help.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 08:50:00 pm »

Honestly didn't think of that. I'll make a list for optional features and move both of those into it.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 10:51:00 pm »

I think filling one out via Obsidian mold would be best, as one could engrave the floors... I'll probably do that with mine.

Also, does anyone have a map with a nice big chasm in it? I had one with a big volcano-shaped one, but I lost it...