Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Let's build the Trade Outpost of Twilightstorm (Communi  (Read 14224 times)

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's build the Trade Outpost of Twilightstorm (Communi
« on: February 29, 2008, 06:39:00 am »

Hello everyone, I'm newly registered but have lurked a rather long time (before the start of Nist Akath) and I wanted to try my hands on a community fortress.

The idea popped into my head while reading the viking challenge (Linky).

Since I was unable to find a suitable ocean site in over 30 generated worlds, I thought of my own rules to make a interesting challenge.

[Game Rules]
This is an above-ground challenge, so underground areas are limited to cellars, mines, and mausoleums.

Outdoor farming and meat production with cattle is required.

Standard armor will be limited to Leather armor. Elite troops may be equipped with better equipment, including chainmail but no plate. Weapon choices are simple: Spears for guards and expendable troops, Swords for the rich and Axes for the elite.

No impenetrable defenses, drawbridges and no moat. Traps are allowed as long as they are not used for general defense (for building defense / tombs only).

Buildings should be constructed out of wood, high quality buildings can have the  ground level constructed out of stone blocks.

Immigration is not limited and it will be my first game with the economy turned on.

[Community]

I don't want to play this alone with named dwarfs, so each of you can give ideas and suggest constructions and stuff. If a suggestion recieves 2 additional recommendations it will become a binding mandate and I must fulfill it.

[Story]

Once upon a time in the Plane of Dragons, there was a dwarven kingdom located in the Land of Excavation. It was named "The Gloves of Defending", after their most holy relic...

This pair of ☼Gloves☼ was given from ruler to ruler and was their symbol of the true capability of Leather Armor in combat.

In early 1050 a rather famous trader was summoned to the current ruler of "The Gloves of Defending" for urgent business, as the king's messenger told him.

The king praised his great trade abilities and gave him the direct order to establish a new trade outpost in the south. Before he could answer, guards led him out of the throne room and a clerk handed him a scroll.

"Here are your instructions, follow them to the letter. Personally I doubt His Majesty's sincerity but...", hushed he disappeared behind a corner.

The scroll contained a map and direct instructions... His order was not only to found a new trade outpost, but a new settlement. Amazing!

Wait... What was this? No mountainhome? A human settlement? Wooden barricades? Aboveground housing and farming... And the name, oh Armok, the name!

The place should better worth the hassle...

Oh no!

And so starts the Story of Ingtaktogal Akamgeshuddumed Akam, "Twilightstorm the Fortunate Fortress-Fortification of Fortune". Founded by "Rethal Nish", The Society Of Trade.

Currently looking for 6 Dwarves. Please name your Dwarf (and if you wish a profession name), give him professions and stuff.

Also here is the first question for you: Drop the anvil to make room for more stuff or keep it?

Edit: Backstories are welcome. I will give no limit of stuff for each of the starting dwarves, but please be reasonable.

[ February 29, 2008: Message edited by: TimeOut ]

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Let's build the Trade Outpost of Twilightstorm (Communi
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 07:01:00 am »

Drop the anvil.

I request:
Name: Gravel
Profession: Primary: Woodcutter. Secondary: Axedwarf and Armor user.
Give him leather armour, and a steel axe.

He's a woodcutter by trade, but won't run from the fell beasts roaming the area.

Backstory:
The clerks regarded the muscled dwarf. He was clearly strong enough for the task, but his background up until this point was a mystery.
"Uh... Mister..." they ventured.
"Call me Gravel." said the dwarf.
"Mister Gravel, while you're clearly a fine physical specimen, we'd like to know a bit about your ancestry."
"Well... me father was a miner, and his father was a miner, and his father before him, he was a miner."
"So you're a miner?"
"Naw," said Gravel, "I cut trees."
"Er... okay. But we're in the middle of a wasteland..."
"I'm alright at it, see?"
"Uh, yes. We see."
"Also, heard it might be dangerous. I killed a bear once... I'm wearin' him now. Bit bristly, but warm."
The clerks regarded the dwarf. It seemed he would do nicely.

[ February 29, 2008: Message edited by: Captain Mayday ]

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 07:11:00 am »

Xel'lotath, a hunter

amond his starting possesions are 2 hunting dogs

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 07:18:00 am »

Hey, someone got inspired by my thread!  I feel so honored...

Name: Eirik
Profession:  Carpenter, although not adverse to woodcutting and axewielding.

I'd like a suit of leather armor, and an axe.  The rest can be spent on ale, and a pet war dog if points allow.

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 08:54:00 am »

Yay, the Captain has requested a dwarf!

Come on people, 3 spots remaining.  :)
Personality / gender requests will be fulfilled as much as possible.

Btwilley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 09:13:00 am »

Name: Henry
Starting Equiptment: 1 Copper Pick

When I embarked on my aboveground chalange (modeled off the viking one) I added into the mix that a building had to be finished before another constructed. This included stone floors (not walls) In addition I changed the mining rules to you can't built a mineshaft straight down to quarry in town, all my mine shafts are inside hills then down so each of them have an unguarded entrance. Also, none of my shafts coming off the Z level shaft are wider then 1-2 spaces unless I found metal/gems. This way they look like longwinding tunnels instead of long supported shafts.

Just a few thoughts, Made the game a lot harder when I had a 2 story bunkhouse. Took Almost a year to complete even with all the dwarves working on it.

ekkud Egenid was supposedly killed by one of those "elephant" things the commoners have started dreaming up. I swear he killed himself just to piss me off with their lame fantasy.
I do wonder how he managed to break his own back though.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 09:20:00 am »

I request a dwarf named Ofeigur, or Ofeig if female. Make him/her an arrogant, confident and cheerful dwarf(or as close as you can get), proficient carpenter/skilled woodcrafter/novice swimmer, and spend the rest on... His favourite food, some wood and turtles if he likes shells, otherwise more wood.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 09:27:00 am »

Fridleif Shieldson

Proffession: Animal Caretaker: 7
            Animal Trainer: 7

And a cow and 2 dog pups.

And drop the anvil. We need more cows  :D

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 10:21:00 am »

Dibs on the first immagrant!

Female Farmer / Brewer  (assign a peasant or useless dwarf to these jobs if no imagrants match)
Name: Kurga

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 10:36:00 am »

I call the second migrant, then, under the name of Sir Trogdor. I'd prefer that you'd induct him into the military when he arrives. As he'll be a peasant, everything's A'OK!
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 11:02:00 am »

Okay, I'll have a migrant. Call him Tap, and make him a mechanic, siege engineer/operator and pump operator.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 11:07:00 am »

i'll have a migrant, preferably an untrained peasant.
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 11:49:00 am »

Currently still at work, I will start as soon as I come home.

Sandono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 07:25:00 pm »

I'll have a immigrant named Sandono, can be anything but a jeweler/jewelcutter.

Thanks.

t this rate, Baron Lorn is going to replace the entire population with his own children since the other dwarves either very rarely pop one out, or have no idea what that thing between their legs are used for besides going to the bathroom and making them f

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 09:02:00 pm »

The Viking Challenge is my Favorite! I simply must get in on a fortress designed arround it.

Let's see,
How about a Male dwarf, Bragi: Bone Carver\Other crafts as needed.
He is a Skald who travels the world, settling in fortresses and carving the histories of the world in bone, stone, or whatever else is handy. Loves carving Runestones. Should probably be creative to facilitate this.

or maybe a Female dwarf, Skadi: Huntress\Spears, named after the hunter giantess of Norse Mythology. all my viking forts have had a Skadi. she always ends up blundering on a wolf arround mid year 2 as well, oddly enough.

Pick whichever suits your fort best, I figure you allready have a hunter so a Bone Carver would be a nice complement.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5