Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Let's build the Trade Outpost of Twilightstorm (Communi  (Read 14273 times)

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's build the Trade Outpost of Twilightstorm (Communi
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 07:55:00 am »

Expedition Log, 1st Granite 1051

After a rather short journey from the mountainhomes we are finally here. I suppose because of the terrifying looks and the totally unsuitable terrain noone wanted to build ... something ... here.

Of course the King's administration assigned me a few fellow dwarves for this journey. They seem fine enough, considering that we need all that wood.

A quick glance at our surrounding tells me that there is no danger... Yet.

We needed wood rather badly to construct something, so I gave the order to cut down a lot of the surrounding trees.

I suppose we should build a shelter and a storage room first. Barricades can come after that. Our Hunter and myself went looking for plants, because we will need the seeds rather badly. Fridleif went on and caged all those animals.

I don't understand why our Administration sent us here without any of the demanded supplies.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 08:02:00 am »

Dammit.  Second "real" community fortress I get in on, and I'm a woman again.  That's what I get for not specifying a gender preference.

This, combined with all the people mistaking me for a woman here in India, is not a very good indicator of my masculinity.

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 09:04:00 am »

I'm in!
get me a migrant

Name: Kasimir Untamedsyrup, male
Profession: I dont care with what he starts,
but make him a guard as soon as you can and assign two (war-)dogs to him   :)
(are dogs nameable? dunno - if yes name them phobos and deimos)

demands two chain-items in his bedroom

Background:
He was a Hunter, until his son was eaten by an elephant.
After this incident, he wasn't the same anymore, unable to do his work and stricken by melancholy. After some months he decided to start a new life, only accompanied by his two faithful dogs.
He forgot mostly everything about hunting and crossbows, and will never touch a distanceweapon again.

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Tigerbunny ]

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 09:09:00 am »

I had a little trouble generating a suitable starting party. The first 6 tries were mainly female. 2 tries later all dwarves were female. This was the most "balanced" setup I got.

Expedition Log, 13th Slate 1051

Work has progressed nicely. We set up a basic barracks that will be used as our main sleeping room until each of us can get a single room.

It seems while I was busy gathering plants, a few romances have formed. I don't know why they think that our caged animals are a good place to become romantically involved, but in retrospect I really don't want to know.

We constructed a still to refine our gathered plants into seeds and secure our booze. The plant gathering was a huge success and we have now a small outdoor farming area.

Our Woodcrafter Eirik asked for a suitable crafting location, so we built a carpentry and woodcrafting house next. Its cellar will hold our first wood stockpile.

Deforestation continues.

Still no sign of hostile or terrifying monsters. Only a few deer, which will live in peace until we get a butchery operation up and running.

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 09:52:00 am »

Expedition Log, 8th Hematite 1051

Our Trade Depot is up and running. I convinced Ofeig to begin crafting. Since all our wood is used up for constructions she must improvise.

The last time I have seen her was in the basement of the Barracks searching for something. Since we store our bones down there, it might be possible that she is trying to create a few bone crafts.

Construction on the dining room was finished recently. Eirik created a set of wonderful tables for it. Everyone was ecstatic.

We also had our first glimpse at something disturbing. Xel'lotath spotted it while gathering plants. He came back running and screaming, while I was trying to cultivate our fields.

Something about wolves but not wolves. I sent Gravel to investigate but he found nothing. I suspect that this not-quite-wolf was merely a fragment of Xel'lotaths imagination.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 09:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Xotes:
<STRONG>I call the second migrant, then, under the name of Sir Trogdor. I'd prefer that you'd induct him into the military when he arrives. As he'll be a peasant, everything's A'OK!</STRONG>

O_o How can someone be both Trogdor AND a peasant? He'd have to be burninating himself at the time. Very zen.
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 10:53:00 am »

Expedition Log, 14th Galena 1051

Must... keep... updating... records...

The handwriting changes slightly for the rest of the entry

Since Timea is so occupied with updating our small stockpile records, she told me to keep track of the events.

Since I hate flaffing about stuff and such, here the recounting.

The "Administrative Building" has been completed. Timea resides there, and is updating some statistics. I have to mine out the cellar, but we are unsure what to put there.

Fridleif was assigned to tend the fields and the still in Timeas absence.

More bone crafts have been produced, nothing particulary nice or of any value.

That should do for now.

Edit:
First community choice

What to do next?

Should I:

- Create a quarry / mine outside the main town? (First channel away all the soil and then create an open quarry with mining entrances)
- Build defenses / a palisade?
- Build small houses for all dwarves?
- [Your suggestion here]

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: TimeOut ]

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: TimeOut ]

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 11:45:00 am »

Gravel pondered the decision put before him. On the one hand, he was in favour of a home of his own. On the other, he knew that he would enjoy feeling protected by walls as he slept, even if it were in a bedroom shared with others.

There was, in the end, only one real option, a wooden palisade to protect them all. Necessity first, luxury later. That was the way of the dwarves since time immemorial.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

I'm going to have to go ahead and say palisade.  I learned the hard way that goblin ambushes can be very, very detrimental to a community's health without proper defenses.

I have one dog left in my viking vilage now.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2008, 12:51:00 pm »

I am going with a palisade
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2008, 12:52:00 pm »

voting for palisade.
And I would recommend a well in the middle of the village to protect us from dehydration due to a probably disturbed boozeproduction
(is this grammatically correct? O.o)

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Tigerbunny ]

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »

Ok, so the palisade is now an official mandate.

1 vote for a Well in the Town Square, even though there is no such thing as a Town Square yet.

I will build the palisade and fortify the entrance with a position for archers. Mainly because we have 2 Crossbows and a great supply of bolts but no other weapons yet.

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2008, 03:48:00 pm »

*coughs*

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2008, 04:53:00 am »

Sorry, was delayed due to RL issues (including my grandfathers 82. birthday).

Very long update today after work, including the completed palisade.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2008, 05:10:00 am »

Btw, if you're making a wall, make it like this:

code:

---------
...>.....

z-level 1

----FF---
+++<+++++

z-level 2

F fortification
- wall
<and> stairs
+ floor

I don't know why, but I feel that this is right.

Also, can I request more than one immigrant?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5