Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Let's build the Trade Outpost of Twilightstorm (Communi  (Read 14276 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's build the Trade Outpost of Twilightstorm (Communi
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2008, 05:23:00 am »

I would like a fisherdwarf and for you to put roofs on those buildings.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2008, 05:24:00 am »

You'll need a lookout. And who better for a lookout than Gravel? And what better lookout tower than a bedroom for him, mounted on pillars, raised above the ground?
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2008, 10:43:00 am »

Actually those buildings have roofs. At least the frequently used ones like the Barracks and the Administration Building.

The first wall is only one tile wide and has no walkable space. But I planned to add it exactly as you described.

New Suggestion: Tree house for Gavel, seconds?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

Hmmm....  There wouldn't happen to be any sand on that map, would there?  If there were, it might have been possible to make a house with a sod roof for me.  

As for a lookout tower, alright.  I'd rather it if he wasn't the only one to get a specialized house (hence the comment about a sod roof for yours truly), but okay.  I would like to caution, however, that you should put in some fortifications.  Otherwise, our vigilant guard may find himself the first to be shot dead in the event of a siege.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2008, 12:09:00 pm »

treehouse ?

I thougth they were vikings ?

we need a party-place

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »

So, can I have more than one character?

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »

Currently not, but you can have another one if your first dies.

They are not vikings per se, it is just a viking type challenge. Of course if your  dwarves are vikings, that is fine with me.

I don't think that there is sand on this map, sorry.

I have nothing against requests for specific housings and such, as long as your dwarf is a valuable member of the town. Of course a 30x30 10 stories building full with masterwork statues is not likely, but a tree house lookout... why not.

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2008, 01:50:00 pm »

The Events of the 5th Limestone 1050

Their first warning was a shrill cry "WOLF!!!!!" from the north. Fridleif, screaming at the top of his voice, ran madly through the town square.

Gravel and Ofeig were woodcutting at the time and heared the cry from far away. "WOLF! WOLF! WOLF!" he went on and ran into the cellar of the barracks.

A few moments later a huge wolf came running from the farm towards the administrative building. Ofeigs pet wardog saw it and begun a mad charge, trying to reach the wolf before it could enter the building.

Ofeig and Gravel grabbed the hilts of their axes and readied themselves for the oncoming battle as the towns only defenders.

They arrived just in time to see Ofeigs beloved pet wardog torn to shreds by the huge wolf. Crying Ofeig decided to take a break and told her lover that she had all the confidence in him and that he would avenge her pet.

So Gravel had no choice but to charge at the mad wolf. He hesitated only a slight moment as he saw that the wolf changed into a bizarre form of human... If only very shortly. Suddenly it was a wolf again, and all the small bites, wounds of the battle with the war dog were healed.

"WEREWOLF!" came the scream from Fridleif, who instantly took off again.

Gravel readied his trusty Steel Battle-Axe and hacked away at the terrifying creature. His long training and woodcutting paid off, as he instantly dismembered the creature with his first hit. The second hit took the stunned wolf directly into the chest and catapulted its corpse at least 50yds out of the town. The wolf broke down, its chest only a mangled mess.

Suprised Gravel looked down at his Axe and decided he could take a little joy in slaugther and went to the downed and dead creature and hacked it to tiny bits.

(In other news, palisade to 50% finished, screenshots following)

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2008, 02:51:00 pm »

Expedition Log, 16th Limestone 1051

The Outpost Liason arrived today with the expected merchant caravan. They even brought wagons! Our cheap bone crafts were not enough to buy anything valuable, only a few more barrels and food.

We told the Liason that we wish for Anvils, Food and Wood for the next visit. He looked a little bit perplexed as I asked him for more wood but then I presented him the orders of our king. I think this shocked him.

Since I was busy updating stockpile records, Fridleif went trading with the merchants. Our breeding pair of cows has given birth to 3 calves.

Expedition Log, 25th Limestone 1051

The Outpost Liason is still here, bugging me with some Export Agreements. Don't have time for that now. Must update stockpile records and then go to sleep.

Expedition Log, 15th Sandstone 1051

The merchants have left. They told me that they will look for suitable dwarves in the Mountainhomes and send them here. Whatever good that will do...

The Liason is still here. He even sleeps in MY room!

Expedition Log, 27th Sandstone 1051

Migrants arrived today.

First came a peasant called Sir Trodgor. She desired to be our first soldier. I told her that there are no weapons and no sparring partners so she looked a little bit disappointed.

After that Kurga, our new Brewer arrived. She was a tresher but found it pretty easy to adapt.

An armorcrafter, a very skilled metalsmith and a mason arrived also. None of them brought any pets or equipment with them. The mason expressed his wish to join our forces but hasn't put much thought in that. Weird fellow.

I'm getting annoyed at the liason who camps in my buero.

Expedition Log, 27th Timber 1051

Our palisade is finally completed, including a pair of watchtowers overseeing the new entrance. Someone made a mistake while planning the entrance layout, but this will be corrected in the future.

The watchtowers are equipped with fortifications for marksmen and against enemy fire.

Our next construction project will be better housing, since the small barracks are too crowded, even when sleeping in turns. Thank Armok that the Liason doesn't care for accomodation apparently.

Our food supplies are running low, perhaps it is now time to send Xel'lotath out to hunt the deer.

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: TimeOut ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2008, 10:50:00 pm »

You can get him to stop organizing the stocks long enough to speak with the liason by setting stock accuracy to the lowest level.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2008, 09:05:00 am »

Kurga's Logbook:

When I first heard of the decision to build a dwarven fort out of wood and aboveground, like the human towns, I was flabbergasted! Of course, I quickly realised that a dwarven community like that would need a LOT of beer to get through the work week, and I knew my services would be needed!

I didn't think about the lack of barrels that might occur when everything needs to be built out of wood... Conditions here aren't the best either... Lycanthropes roam the forests, and because of that the town has deemed that defense be a priority over proper bedrooms and a proper alehouse.

When the individual sleeping quarters are complete, I think I will bring up my need for an alehouse to Timea. We can even build it right into the palisade walls to save wood for barrels!

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »

I'm in.
Call me Woden.

Woodcutter/carpenter. Male.
Hates trees and elves. I'll fill in the story later.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »

It's an old and accepted tradition to use old defensive walls to build new houses :3
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2008, 02:27:00 pm »

Aye, and building smaller buildings against the sides of bigger more important ones was a way of life =P Still is in some cases (;
DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2008, 04:17:00 am »

Bump.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5