Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Let's build the Trade Outpost of Twilightstorm (Communi  (Read 14265 times)

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's build the Trade Outpost of Twilightstorm (Communi
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2008, 08:00:00 am »

Ok, so our new houses will be build against the palisade.

In case I have to expand the settlement, I'll try to preserve them if possible.

If not... Well, new ones will be build eventually.  ;)

Sorry for the slow progress of updates, its a very busy week, and on top of that all public transportation here in Berlin is on strike. So my travel time to work and back nearly tripled. :/

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2008, 11:17:00 am »

Update (finally)!

Expedition Log, 15th Granite 1051

Elvish traders arrived today. They went right through a group of werewolves just south of the river.

Interestingly the Werewolves were not interested in the elves at all. They even made room for them to pass through.

Expedition Log, 16th Granite 1051

The elvish caravan refused to trade with us, because we have only bone and wood crafts, and food in wooden barrels... So we seized their goods.

We have now a tame pet cougar and enough cloth to last a lifetime. It seems noone has an idea what we should do with it.

After our houses are finished, we will expand the craftsworkshops and create a rope for our new guard cougar.

Expedition Log, 25th Granite 1051

Kobolds! They tried to steal our hoard!

... Well, actually they got scared and tried to run away. Only to get intercepted by our two trusty wrestlers: Mikat and Sir Trodgor. Both eager to gain firsthand experience in combat, they ripped the Kobolds to shreds.

This helped Mikat to gain a little bit experience in combat, since he won't spar with Sir Trodgor anymore. Apparently the good Sir had nearly broken his neck in the first sparring session. I should be careful.

Expedition Log, 26th Granite 1051

Joy and celebration today! Ofeig and Gavel married! The happy couple got our first rooms at the finished palisade housing area.

Free elvish wine for every dwarf today!

Expedition Log, 7th Slate 1052
5 new Migrants arrived today. 2 Metalcrafter (even though we have no metal and not even an anvil...), 1 Brewer, 1 Butcher (his services might be needed soon), and a Peasant who joined our army.

Actually one of the Metalcrafters looked rather annoyed with his choosen profession and told me that she always wanted to study mechanics instead. Her name is Tap.

Expedition Log, 11th Slate 1052

Well... It seems that Sir Trodgor has some sort of policy concerning newcomers for his Squad. The new recruit, Bullion, got badly injured in the first sparring session with the Sir.

Gavel tells me that he will be quite alright after a few weeks of bedrest, but I am not so sure. The wounds to his upper body look not promising. I never thought that bare hands could produce such wounds.

The new Brewer, Sandono went to work almost immediatly. Nothing to complain about here.

[ March 09, 2008: Message edited by: TimeOut ]

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2008, 11:25:00 am »

The Musings of Gravel
Tis a joyful time for me. Now a married dwarf, the joy comes with responsibility, of course, but I embrace it gladly.
It's been quite the adaptation from being a single dwarf.

Bullion's injury put a damper on my honeymoon bliss, and although I gave him hope, I don't hold a great deal myself. I hope he's made of sterner stuff than I figure him to be.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2008, 11:38:00 am »

Expedition Log, 21th Slate 1052

To our great surprise Bullion has left his bed in the  barracks today, and told everyone that he was as good as new...

He immediately began sparring with Sir Trodgor again. I hope the good Sir has learned his lesson and is more careful this time.

Lodgings for the immigrants are under construction, so the guard cougar project is currently on hold.

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2008, 12:03:00 pm »

The Events of the 25th Slate 1052
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-408-werewolfattack

(Text soon)

Splime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2008, 02:18:00 pm »

Can I have the butcher? The butcher's name will be "Executioner".

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2008, 02:59:00 pm »

Sure. I will also fulfill the other requests, but there were no suitable dwarves yet.

Expedition Log, 12th Felsite

Finally our housing project is complete. Every non-millitary dwarf has now their own home. Interestingly our happily married couple has also insisted on seperate rooms.

I had a nice chat with our new butcher lately. She is called'Executioner'. I told her that we will have much to do for her at a later time. Currently our small stock of cattle is not enough to slaughter some.

Bullion and Minkot were successfully rescued and are now resting in the barracks. There was no progress with their injuries, but they are drinking at least a little bit water.

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »

Expedition Log, 26th Felsite 1052

I nearly died today.

Since the condition of our injured friends worsens from day to day, I went outside to get more water. While carrying the bucket back towards the barracks, a BLACK BEAR ambushed me!

I was so scared. It was really huge and frightening. But my screams of panic must have alerted the others, and our pair of heroes, Gravel and Ofeig came to my rescue.

They killed the black bear swiftly, but it seems that Ofeig caught a rather hard punch in her belly. She told me that everything is ok, but fainted shortly afterwards. Her husband dragged her back home, looking very concerned.

But the tough dwarf she is, Ofeig recovered nearly instantly.

Expedition Log, 5th Hematite 1052

I fear that Bullion will leave us soon. His condition worsens from day to day. He is now thirsty, drowsy and most of the time unconcious or in pain. A wooden coffin has been constructed, even though we hope for the best.

We still have no stone or even a suitable area for burials... Maybe the others have an idea?

Minkot is very tough, and doesn't care much for his injuries. He lies in bed, drinking his water and hoping for the best.

Community Choice

How to bury our honored dead?
- Wooden coffins in a crypt under the administrative building (only in soil layers)
- Your idea here

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »

Expedition Log, 16th Galena 1052

Another marriage! Eirik our Woodcrafter and the shy Armorer and Hauler Domas have married today. They choose not to celebrate, but I allowed everyone a sip of the elvish Sunshine, seized last year.

They insisted on seperate rooms though. I don't understand what is up with them.

1st Limestone 1052

With the first signs of Autumn, our injured friends are slowly healing their wounds.

Bullion is still very drowsy and can't sleep at all because of the pain. Still he would be pretty lucky to survive, even though his condition has improved somewhat.

Chopped down more and more trees to make more barrels for the still. We also created 3 new outdoor fields and moved our first one. That will allow for much more variety in our distilling and cooking.

We are currently growing Prickle Berries, Wild Strawberries, Longland Grass and Whip Wines.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »

If you can afford the wood, you could build a wooden pyramid. Make a few tomb rooms, and just add on it as needed. Admittedly, it's not Viking-y, but they're dwarves, not vikings. And if they aren't going to carve out a fortress, they should still be able to do crazy engineering projects. That's a pretty modest engineering project, really, considering other possibilities.

Here's one possible design:

You might want to zoom in on the picture, because 1 pixel == 1 square.

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2008, 05:23:00 pm »

That is a very nice suggestion! Maybe I can build a few of them later on... Any seconds for this idea, even if it is unviking-ish?

Expedition Log, 19th Limestone 1052

Dwarven traders from the mountainhome arrived today! They brought 3 wagons and a lot of mules.

I was in the kitchen at this time, preparing some wonderful food stacks. I had the idea to present them to the traders, because they requested some prepared meals the last time.

The merchant appraised the food and it seems that even a lowly stack of my roasts is worth 3000 monies.

We were able to buy a Cow, Barrels, Wood, lots of Booze and Meat and lastly an Anvil. I tried to aquire another one, but the food took to long to cook.

They had also something... Special with them. Actually it is of more value than anything we created in our 2 years here.

Lastly we bought a very nice Iron Spear for Sir Trogdor. I hope he is more careful with that thing, than with his hands.

Expedition Log, 9th Sandstone 1052

We all feared this day would come. Since the day he was wounded, Bullion was not able to sleep properly. In the end the pain and the suffering proved too much for him.

He is currently dragging himself trough the town square with his only good arm. He won't listen to any of us, and I suppose he is going to die out there in the wilderness alone and lost.

The traders took his departure as a sign and departed also. On their way out the guards killed another black bear.

We have currently no other means of burial, so Bullion will be buried below the barracks, among the Armory.

Someone spoke of a great burial pyramid but this idea needs more consideration. It seems strange at first.

(Edit: Sorry, but I could not keep Bullion alive. He refused to "Rest" and died slowly with "Soldier" status on. Even deconstructing his bed and re-rescuing didn't help. Drafting had also no effect.)

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2008, 08:18:00 am »

Kurga's Logbook:

One of our stout dwarves has gone mad with sadness at the horrible injuries he suffered valliantly defending our fort... We have been discussing options on how to dispose of his corpse... We cannot build a funeral Pyre, as the smoke and light might draw the attention of more warewolves, or worse, set our homes ablaze. Perhaps then we should build a construction that will drop his coffin into a river and wash it out to sea in proper vikingdwarf fashion?

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2008, 08:26:00 am »

Viking challenge = viking burial

build a small wooden platform over a body of water, than set them on fire. I think there was an utility that could to that.

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2008, 09:15:00 am »

Well, it's not very Viking-y, but there's always burial.

code:

First:
z 0
,,▼,,

z -1

▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒☻▒▒
▒▒▲▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒

Then:

z 0

,,Ω,,
,,+,,

Make sure it is an adequate statue/runestone for such a fine dwarf.  I will be happy to provide whatever additions I can with my woodskills.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2008, 10:08:00 am »

Could I have a swordsdwarf ? Captain of the Guard, if the position is not taken. Can do siege engineering during peaceful times, as a civilian profession.

Name : Istrian

Backstory :
"He is really becoming an annoyance." That was the thought crossing Istrian's mind as he walked through one of the numerous forests on the way to Twilightstorm.
"Just because I am His spymaster doesn't mean that He can actually give me any orders. Still, killing His only son probabaly wasn't such a good idea after all. Though I doubt He knows I am involved."
"Anyway, it won't do me any damage to check on one of those frontier outposts for a while. I heard this one is going to be a fairly large trading centre, so it should be interesting..."
"I'll try to get in one of the positions of power, so to speak. I hope they don't have a sheriff yet. That should give me enough protection for my mission, and I'll probably be able to communicate with Him without interference or suspicion."
"I should also help somehow with the fort defences, I do know some things about infiltrations and ambushes, after all..."
[ March 10, 2008: Message edited by: Istrian ]

[ March 10, 2008: Message edited by: Istrian ]

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5