Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A Tale in the Desert: (Yet Another) Community Fortress!  (Read 10774 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Tale in the Desert: (Yet Another) Community Fortress!
« on: March 12, 2008, 11:10:00 pm »

There are seven dwarves and a few assorted animals milling about a broken wagon on a vast plain. There are two dwarves separated by the others. These two appear to be in a heated discussion.

"Great job, ngathseshdurad! That stunt cost us our wagon! Plus, you made me spill my beer!"

"Hey, erokevon, it was your idea to nick the wagon and go for a joyride! Where are we, anyways? I don't see the road or our mountain!"

"RoderlŒnem, you got us lost!"

"Since we have no way back home, let's make a new home right here!"

Where are we setting up camp? Why right here, of course!

There are six free dwarves at the moment and I haven't started playing yet. Come one, come all!

If you wish to partake in this experience, give me the name you wish to be known as. Start up a game and get to the embarkation screen. Tally up no more than 294 points in skills, items, and/or animals for your character.

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: Mephisto ]

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
Re: A Tale in the Desert: (Yet Another) Community Fortress!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 12:20:00 am »

I'll give her a go....

I'll be any male dwarf profession name "retiree"

I am a proficient marksdwarf, a regular bowyer, a novice woodcrafter and a regular armor user.

I have brought 30 logs 20 of wich are reserved for my bolts and my bed, u can use the rest as u like
My 2 war dogs
2 cave spider silk ropes
10 barrels of beer
1 copper cage in my room (if i make it that far) for my dogs...

Im a retired marksdwarf who paid for safe passage to my hometown, to retire and live peacefully, learning a new trade as a woodcarver.... until the "incident"...

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:43:00 am »

Ooh, I love desert maps:  

Name:  Valconette,
Profession:  Butcher

Skills:

Competent Butcher,
Competent Liar.

Items: Cougar Leather Dress (or other available material, camel, etc)
20 Tower Cap Logs,
1 Cave Spider Silk Bag
10 Groundhog Meat
5 Groundhog Leather

Pets:  1 kitten.
(Came out to 200 points I believe)

Valconette cannot wait to leave the mountain homes.  She's been kicked out of every apartment she's tried to live in, all of her friends have abandoned her and her family has died.  She's tried to live on her own, burrowing out at the base of the mountain and living with the groundhogs, slaughtering them for nourishment, until they turned on her and killed her beloved pet Scruffles the cat and nearly her entire litter, leaving only Tinkles the kitten behind.  Dejected and alone, Valconette, unable to lie her way out of her newfound precarious situation, came back to the mountain homes, Tinkes stuffed into her Cougar Leather Dress pocket and another lie upon her lips.

She signs up for the first expedition she finds posted in the mead hall, promising to be an accomplished frontiersdwarf, claiming to know how to construct buildings, mine, and fish, though truly she knows nothing other than slaughtering the things she comes to depend on after sweetly talking them into her butcher shop clamp, before severing their heads and sucking the marrow from their bones.  She's brought along some logs in favor of supporting her lie, and a bag to hold some bones of the wild animals she hopes to encounter in her new environment.  

Little does she know;  the desert is no place for a liar.  There is nowhere to hide when your friends turn on you, and the desert itself will strike you down should you dare to venture alone.  

This will be a rough journey for the evil little liar with a false warm grin, Valconette.

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: valcon ]

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 12:53:00 am »

Sure, why not.  :)

Sid, an ill-mannered, ill-kempt mason/mechanic. Preferably, he likes felines.

Proficient mason, competent mechanic, building designer.

One cat.

The rest of the points can be spent however.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 01:19:00 am »

I'll take one:

"Claire", a Lady Dwarf.

Proficient Herbalist
Proficient Grower

20 Wine
20 Rock Nuts
20 Pig Tail Seeds
20 Plump Helmet Spawn
20 Cave Wheat Seeds
20 Dimple Cup Spawn
8 Tower Cap logs
10 Turtle meat
1 Pig tail bag
1 Pig tail rope

Claire is an odd little dwarf, because she loves plants. It's not uncommon for grower dwarfs to have a certain amount of green beard, but her affinity extends specifically to *above* ground plants. Rope Reed, Longland Grass, Whip Vine.. My God Whip Vines!
So yeah, she likes growing above ground plants, but is not averse to growing underground ones if the situation does not permit above ground growing. She's bringing along seeds in case there's no useable plantlife at their final destination (since they're stopping in a haunted savanna this is fairly likely) some dwarven wine (she loves her wine!) some tower cap logs (there aren't actually plowshares so let's just pretend) and some turtle meat.
Edit: Had some math errors and left some things out

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: GRead ]

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 03:53:00 am »

Lemme on!

Name: The Anvil
proficient armorsmith,
proficient weaponsmith

1 war dog (assign to him)
10 turtles
15 dwarven beer
2 cave spider cloth
2 steel bars
5 logs

The Anvil could learn no more from his mentor.
With work being scarce, with even the smallest child already armed to the teeth in the Mountainhomes, he was happy to enlist with the latest expedition mandated by the Crown.
It promised great wealth and loads of iron and flux. The volcano on site had been dormant for ages and the surrounding lands were calm and even devoid of elves.
He could not have forseen the disasterous turn of events that would strand him and the rest of the expedition in the middle of an evil desert.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 09:10:00 am »

Well crap. I told myself I was going to do a desert, but I had to gen a new world and couldn't find one without an aquifer. This is a savanna. I'll see if I can find the desert I wanted.

Fixed!

Also, that's six dwarves. I'll post them in the first post when I finally get the list together.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 10:24:00 am »

I want to claim one of the first immigrants (Preferably a Metalcrafter) you get if it is possible.

Name him Alud Raleshtƒn if he is a man or T”lgil Raleshtƒn if she is a Woman.

edit: Can you provide a 3D Screenshot of the Starting Location?

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: Heph ]

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 11:54:00 am »

It will be done. The Anvil got lucky. I have an excess of points so he got the two 150-point steel bars he wanted.

Mephisto rips the sign-up slab off the wall of the mead hall and glances over the list of names.
There's myself, Mephisto Crazybridged (woot!)
cook, appraiser/organizer/record keeper

Retiree Whipmute
Marksdwarf, bowyer, bolt maker

Valconette Salveroom
butcher, liar

Sid Sculptboulder (no felines, but he likes elves)
mason, building designer, mechanic

Claire Baldlance
grower, herbalist

The Anvil Twinkledbanners
armorsmith, metalsmith

Forai Arrowbases
miner, mason

Mephisto leaves to check on their single wagon and finds it loaded with
Dwarven wine (20)
Rock nuts (20)
Pig tail seeds (20)
Plump helmet spawn (20)
Cave wheat seeds (20)
Dimple cup spawn (20)
Tower-cap logs (71)
Turtle(20)
Pig tail bag (1)
Pig tail rope(1)
Cave spider silk rope (2)
Dwarven beer (25)
Copper cage (1)
Cave spider silk cloth (2)
Bismuth bronze pick (1)
Plump helmet (5)
Cougar leather dress (1)
Cave spider silk bag (1)
Hoary marmot meat (10) (sorry, no groundhog)
Hoary marmot leather (5) (again, no groundhog)
Steel bars (2)
Iron crossbow (1)
Steel bolts (10 stacks)
Dwarven ale (17)
War dog (3)
Cat (1)
Kitten (1)

After weeks of travel, Mephisto brings the wagon to a halt and takes out the map he was given.

Claire walks up to the wagon where Mephisto is sitting. "What are we stopping here for?"

"It would seem that this is our stopping location."

"Here? This place is supposed to be haunted! That's not all! Do you SEE a mountain around here?"

"I'm not one to question the authorities back home. There's supposedly riches under these sands. We need food. Sand grows food easily. Go get your stuff and do the job you signed up for."

((Sorry, Claire. Your profile seems to be the strongest willed while others meekly go along with whatever someone tells them to. Mine would rather intimidate others than have an intellectual conversation.))

And, since someone requested 3D shots:
Full map:

As you can see, there is nothing here. It's a good thing I had the points for steel as we could use an axe to cut down all of the living trees, of which there are more than was expected. Also, ignore the water. They are all murky pools.

Welcome to Scorchinggorge. Strike the earth!

Late edit: It would seem that Valconette, with her proficient lying, gained all noble positions.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 12:37:00 pm »

Journal of Mephisto Crazybridged of Scorchinggorge
23rd Granite 1051
We have been out in this Stėtnin-forsaken desert for nearing a month now. Valconette's little habit cost me my expedition leader position with the mountainhomes. I fear she will become mayor because of this. Despite her "leadership" position, the dwarves still look to me for instruction.

Attached to this slab are etchings of our location.

I have set up an area for food storage until one can be dug from the sand. I do not like its close proximity to our refuse pile, but it will do for now.

Haunted! Bah! There is nothing haunted about this place! No skeletons. No zombies. All I see are camels on the horizon. Normal ones, at that.

As Retiree (How did his parents choose that name?) is already somewhat experienced with woodworking, I have assigned him carpentry duty until further notice. We were promised an incoming group of fellow dwarves this fall. Forai has been assigned to dig modest temporary quarters in the sand. When we strike solid rock, they will be moved there.

Claire expressed concern with our fairly small stock of food and alcohol. She hasn't been able to find edible plants on the surface as she likes to do, so I have ordered a small farm dug out for her. It is within easy access of our kitchen and still.

((I will update with character relationships shortly. Let's just say that Forai and Sid have a bit of something going on.))

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 01:06:00 pm »

From the journal of Retiree Whipmute...

Bah I should have put on me glasses before i signed up at the meadhall, I was supposed to be going home to retire peacefully.  Now I'm stuck here in this infernal desert.  Crazybridged goes about barking orders and the like.  Forai has been strutting around in front of Sid and often teases him about the size of his beard...Ahh to be young again.  Got to go,  Crazybridged is on my ass about some shat again maybe I can squeeze time in to make my bed today. My bones hurt, some retirement.

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 01:38:00 pm »

The Relationships of Sorchinggorge
Mephisto

Forai

Claire

Retiree

Sid

The Anvil

Valconette

A bit on the gods:
ān Pantedromance is a deity of The Fences of Bravery. ān Pantedromance most often takes the form of a female dwarf and is associated with lust. Followers of ān Pantedromance include Forai Febenseb.

Doren is a deity of The Fences of Bravery. Doren most often takes the form of a male dwarf and is associated with metals. Followers of Doren include Retiree Bomrekrul.

Avuz is a deity of The Fences of Bravery. Avuz most often takes the form of a male dwarf and is associated with jewels. Followers of Avuz include Sid Aranetur.

Tobul the Copper Gold is a deity of The Fences of Bravery. Tobul the Copper Gold most often takes the form of a female dwarf and is associated with minerals. Followers of Tobul the Copper Gold include The Anvil Shetbźthzulban.

Kezat is a deity of The Fences of Bravery. Kezat most often takes the form of a female dwarf and is associated with light, rainbows, war and fortresses. Followers of Kezat include Claire Roderkūbuk.

Stėtnin Lunchesstrays the Gleeful Bunny is a deity of The Fences of Bravery. Stėtnin Lunchesstrays the Gleeful Bunny most often takes the form of a male dwarf and is associated with festivals. Followers of Stėtnin Lunchesstrays the Gleeful Bunny include Mephisto Dībeshsazir.

An Brainlenses is a deity of The Fences of Bravery. An Brainlenses most often takes the form of a female dwarf and is associated with scholarship. Followers of An Brainlenses include Valconette Sibrekmosus.

I speel gud!

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 02:03:00 pm »

From the journal of Retiree Whipmute...

I have bribed Forai into digging me an extra room attached to my quarters for the dogs they need their cage anyway so I dont lose them in this infernal desert and also a closet to store my bolts... aparently she really wants a bed so I snuck some of the extra logs to make her one, no use using my logs BaHahaHAhaHA!

I think I'll fashion myself a table and chair as I am too old to eat on the gound.  I better make Crazybridged a set too. I dont want to hear his mouth.  He keeps talking about stone and these being temporary quarters but i'd just assume that all these young buggers move far far away.  I need my peace and quiet.  Ill build myselfa door too, maybe I wont hear Crazybridged when he calls for the morning wake-up.

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: berent ]

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by berent:
<STRONG>Ill build myselfa door too, maybe I wont hear Crazybridged when he calls for the morning wake-up.

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: berent ]</STRONG>

Heh. Me calling for the morning wake-up. Yeah. My guy was the last to wake up. I don't really blame him, as he stayed up late planting seeds. I've got another update to post but I'll wait until after class, which starts in a few minutes, to upload everything.

Quite funny, what you just said. You're already crafting tables/chairs/beds/barrels and will soon start on doors. It would seem that I am a few steps ahead of you. The bit about bribing Forai could also fit into what I have written, but I'm not that cruel.

Yargh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »

Sign me up for an immigrant since I'm so slow....

I would ask for a smith, but it looks like you have 2 already, a glassworking dwarf maybe? There should be no shortage of sand after alll   :)

Edit: Name: Yargh, Sex: Bearded

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: Yargh ]

Pages: [1] 2 3