Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A Tale in the Desert: (Yet Another) Community Fortress!  (Read 10769 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Tale in the Desert: (Yet Another) Community Fortress!
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2008, 11:37:00 am »

Journal of Mephisto of Scorchinggorge
15 Limestone 1051
The autumn caravan has arrived. I will try to trade some items the other six dwarves may be willing to part with, as we desperately need an axe or an anvil.

I have fruitlessly wasted all ten of our starting steel bolts, wounding only one of the camels. It escaped from the area. I will repay Retiree for the wooden bolts I am using. I refused to order him out as he expressed a desire to stay within the fortress until he has a squadron.

It would seem that Retiree would have us believe that he was an animal trainer in his youth, despite having no knowledge of the job at the moment. I will entertain this wish, but if we run low on food, the dogs will go.

I regret that I had to trade with many of the items the others brought with them. After noticing our plight, the traders graciously gave us the materials needed to survive longer. They also left something called a prases. Even though it is right here in front of me, I can't for the life of me tell what it is.

13 Sandstone 1051
The caravan is on its way back to the mountainhomes. As they are leaving with less than they arrived with, I fear that we may not get the immigrants we so desperately need. I will be sure to repay them for this kindness when next they arrive.

19 Sandstone 1051
Just days after the caravan leaves, a kobold thief arrives. It was standing right next to The Anvil, who owns a war dog. The Anvil was displeased at the interruption and jumped on the kobold. When his dog, who is never far behind, joined the brawl, the kobold quickly lost its right arm, left leg, right foot, left hand, and finally its head.

-- I'm not dead yet. I started this at a terrible time. It was just days before spring break began. I'm now back home with access to my old dialup connection. That's quite a change from what I have been using.

[ March 15, 2008: Message edited by: Mephisto ]

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2008, 11:57:00 pm »

3 Timber 1051
Praise Stetnin! The migrants are here!

1 jeweler
1 fisher
3 peasants
3 children
1 animal caretaker
1 fish cleaner
1 carpenter
1 mason
1 mule
1 donkey foal

27 Opal 1051
I shot and killed a camel today. I fear something is desperately wrong with Valconette. When she laid her eyes on the corpse, she rushed to the poor sap who was hauling it and ripped it from his hands, nearly shoving him into one of the numerous pits in the area.

-- That would be three that Mephisto shot in a fairly short span of time with one stack of 25 no-modifier wood bolts. He had to run up to the last (unconscious due to brain damage) camel and bash it to death with his crossbow. No, I didn't use Companion. I will refrain from using that particular tool, except for maybe allowing combat reports.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2008, 02:54:00 pm »

11 Granite 1052
Dirty elves!

When I'm done trading, I'll offer them a few bone bolts. Look at 'em run!

The dogs are getting too numerous. I've ordered all of the pups caged until something can be done.

25 Granite 1052
One thing the elves are good for, new pets. Today, I finally got around to freeing my new pet.

5 Felsite 1052
More mouths to feed. Migrants are here. In other news, our settlement is big enough for a sheriff. There are a total of 21 new dwarves here.
1 miner
1 mason
1 craftsdwarf
1 glassmaker
1 animal dissector
1 jeweler
1 gem cutter
1 woodworker
1 bone carver
1 herbalist
1 cook
1 miller
1 lye maker
5 peasants
1 butcher
2 children
1 kitten
1 mule

Two of the immigrants walked right up to me and introduced themselves.

14 Felsite 1052
The Anvil is acting strangely. He acts as if possessed. His primary profession before joining us was working with metal. We have no anvil. I fear we have lost him.

Rest in peace, friend. Claire is taking this remarkably well for having lost someone as close to her as The Anvil was. I must quickly get past this aquifer. We have no stone for a casket.

10 Hematite 1052
Great. Fikod Sarveshdesor went and got too close to a nightwing. He's in bad shape. I reached the scene too late and with too few bolts. I fired off all of the bolts I was holding, but the thing was too quick. In the end, it ripped his whole lower body off... The others named it Fongbezdasël ïlon Alud, Pungentheaven the Moon of Brothers.

I am writing this on my way to confront the beast.
*The journal of Mephisto ends abruptly at this point.*

A squad of four woodcutters were sent out to take care of the nightwing when Mephisto was killed. The creature took care of them while only sustaining a broken leg.

The fortress was livid at the loss of six dwarves and rose up to strike down the beast. It was not without losses, however. While the body count of the last stand of Scorchinggorge was not high, the mental scars lasted all the way to the end.

-- What a way to end a fort. One person dies to a strange mood. Six are killed by a nightwing. Forai has a yellow left upper leg. Claire has a red left foot. Valconette has a yellow lower body. Val was the first to snap and throw a tantrum. Claire followed soon after by just going stark raving mad. She attempted suicide by throwing herself down a one-level fall into an empty murky pool.

Next came Forai who began to tantrum. She then went melancholy. She then began jumping into a pond with Claire. Sid, who is miserable, insisted on attending a meeting with Val, who was currently tantruming in her bed.

Unib, fish cleaner, decided to take up a pick and was crushed in a cave in. Val cracked more and went berserk. Sid, who she was attacking, turned and killed her. He then began to tantrum.

I fear that this was too much for even the stoutest of the dwarves of Scorchinggorge.

For the final exported map: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2333-scorchinggorge

I know you've probably read about Dwarf Companion-induced madness. That isn't the cause in this case.

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Mephisto ]

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2008, 03:18:00 pm »

Alas, the desert is the cruelest of environs.  All good stories must have an end, and this, my friend, was a good story.  Cheers for your attempts to give us a prosperous venture into the desert, but, surely, when the king sent us, he knew;  our odds were slim.   Undoubtedly he is now simply marking a spot on the map, a spot we once called home, with a large 'X' to show that he has thoroughly considered the prospects of expanding to the area.

Let the tales of our defeats temper the decisions of future dwarves who would consider attempting such a dangerous endeavor.

The hole in the desert we once called home with soon fill with the sands born on the backs of the harsh wind, covering us and stripping the flesh from our bones.  Twas a good life.  And life goes on;  we can only hope some brave adventurer will dare to challenge the nightwing and avenge us, some day.

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2008, 04:33:00 pm »

Sorry. It wasn't a particularly good story. If I had tried to raise a militia before I needed it, it might have turned out better. Who knows, I may try a reclaim some time.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2008, 09:46:00 pm »

How did retiree die?
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2008, 10:15:00 pm »

He was the most experienced fighter in the group. He had two dogs and a herd of puppies following him. He was the first after the jeweler, myself, and the four recruits to reach the nightwing. It killed him. It was finally downed by a mob of dabbling wrestlers.

It would seem that the death count was higher than I said in the last update.

Everyone left after Valconette died was killed in the cavein. There were three left, which were killed shortly after.

I would have tried to carry on if it were possible, but a large portion of the "fort" was out of commission.

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Mephisto ]

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2008, 12:19:00 pm »

Seems retiree found his final resting place after all....
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2008, 01:31:00 pm »

I think you should reclaim it anyways!  A Tale in the Desert: Rebirthing the Land

Yargh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2008, 09:10:00 am »

Tale II: revenge of the Stranger?
Pages: 1 2 [3]