Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A Tale in the Desert: (Yet Another) Community Fortress!  (Read 10773 times)

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: A Tale in the Desert: (Yet Another) Community Fortress!
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »

Valconette's diary:

Bloody ... fuck.  I've signed on to the wrong damn mission.  There's nowhere to burrow here.  I tried to dig a hiding spot to keep my stolen goods, but the sand just spills in around it ...

I've managed to avoid any retribution for lying about my professions thus far, but certainly they will begin to ask questions ... I'll have to think of some kind of story.

I've sharpened up my bone saw and am eagerly awaiting someone to bring me one of these beautiful camel corpses, they look absolutely FULL of blood and bones.  Perhaps, in this barren desert, I can find sustenance in their blood.  I year for it ... deeply.  

** Diggin the fort man, good work Mephisto =)

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: valcon ]

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 04:39:00 pm »

-- Thanks for that. It's encouraging when people comment. I may be a bit later on the next update as I am going to finish one assignment that I can't miss for tomorrow. Hopefully my writing will improve over the course of the story.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »

Thanks for the steel bars.
I mistakenly thought they cost 50.

Is there an underground river by any chance?
If not, all injured dwarves are doomed as soon as the murky pools evaporate.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>Thanks for the steel bars.
I mistakenly thought they cost 50.

Is there an underground river by any chance?
If not, all injured dwarves are doomed as soon as the murky pools evaporate.</STRONG>

Pools were gone when I arrived. There is an ******* that I reveal in my next update.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 06:12:00 pm »

-- Forget what I said about being cruel. That was to lull you into a false sense of security! Nah, I'll whip up a little cubbyhole for Retiree in a bit.

14 Slate 1051
Journal of Mephisto of Scorchinggorge
I am surrounded by a small group of fellow dwarves, yet I am alone. We have all known each other for a month and a half. While I consider all of them closer than most, there is only one I can call a friend. I don't know why that is. She took the position that should have been mine.

Here I am, alone. The other six are sleeping while I stay up and tend the fields.

Forai kindly dug out a rough room connected to my bedroom. As I am no longer expedition leader, I believe it will be the office where I perform my bookkeeping duties. An etching of the nearly finished sleeping quarters and my unfurnished office are above. The only good thing about working with sand is that Forai cuts through it like a +large copper dagger+ through some ¤sweet pod syrup¤. I would enjoy some solid stone around me, though. We are far too close to the surface. Retiree has been acting strange lately. I caught him in the hallway looking at my office, as if he thought it was someone else's. When I asked him, he scurried off muttering about making some barrels.

Retiree, being the only one with woodworking experience, has also been put on crafting duty. With no axe and no anvil to make an axe, I fear we will be very low on wood by the time the promised autumn caravan arrives. 70 logs looked large on paper, but we have already used 28 making chairs, tables, and beds. That's not counting however many Retiree will go through and all of the barrels we will need to make.

I hate to lean on the old guy so much, but we are a small group. We are all pulling multiple shifts. We will all do what must be done until fresh dwarves arrive.

19 Slate 1051
The first of our crops have grown to maturity today. It is a relief to us all. We may make it after all. Life can survive in this evil wasteland.

13 Felsite 1051
It would seem that we have hit a previously unknown aquifer that permeates the area. Forai's latest digging expedition to take us closer to the rock beneath this desert filled up with water immediately after she finished carving the stairs. Luckily she had not dug much before it started to fill.

Lovely. We have to waste more precious wood to get below this threat, as well as waste good dwarfpower running the pumps I have yet to make.

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: Mephisto ]

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 07:08:00 pm »

8th Hematite 1056
I have had my eyes on our surroundings for the past week. There is a giant jaguar stalking us in the distance.

I can only hope our dogs will help keep it at bay. If the need arises, Retiree may be forced to take up the crossbow one last time. He tells us that he brought wood to make bolts, but he doesn't know I brought some steel bolts he can use.

Process on breaching the aquifer is underway. Forai has been hard at work clearing an oversized area around the planned downward tunnel. We need the extra space for a line of pumps surrounding the tunnel.

Again, I am the last to sleep. It is too Stëtnin-damned hot in this place. I don't see how the others sleep so easily.

-- The proposed aquifer penetration had a slightly humorous side effect.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 07:38:00 pm »

Looks like the place isn't haunted after all, judging from all the non-dead trees and foliage and the lack of undead. Looks more... sinister to me.

Good stuff so far.
From the screenshots it looks like those plants are harvestable. Perhaps the herbalism can get put to use after all! Huzzah!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 07:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by GRead:
<STRONG>Looks like the place isn't haunted after all, judging from all the non-dead trees and foliage and the lack of undead. Looks more... sinister to me.

Good stuff so far.
From the screenshots it looks like those plants are harvestable. Perhaps the herbalism can get put to use after all! Huzzah!</STRONG>

It is neither. It's terrifying, which should be worse than both sinister and haunted. Sinister is benign evil, haunted is neutral evil, and terrifying is savage evil.

Yeah, the plants are alive. Claire got her wish for some whip vines. There are also plots of prickle berries and wild strawberries growing.

I don't understand it. Every time I go for what seems to be a challenging area, it turns into a very easy fortress.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 07:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mephisto:
<STRONG>

It is neither. It's terrifying, which should be worse than both sinister and haunted. Sinister is benign evil, haunted is neutral evil, and terrifying is savage evil.

Yeah, the plants are alive. Claire got her wish for some whip vines. There are also plots of prickle berries and wild strawberries growing.

I don't understand it. Every time I go for what seems to be a challenging area, it turns into a very easy fortress.

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: Mephisto ]</STRONG>

Give it time, mate, the terrifying areas take a while to present.

On my ship map I was untroubled for the first 2 years or so

before 6 zombie tuna walked up on the shore and ate half my dwarves =)

so yeah, i'm sure it will show it's ugly head!

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »

Yeah, Terrifying and Sinister aren't very dangerous, either of them. Terrifying has evil creatures in some biomes but they're rarely much more dangerous than the predators in a neutral biome; werewolves in particular are kind of underwhelming. Among evil biomes, Haunted is currently the real challenge; all the plantlife is dead and all to most of the wildlife is turned into homicidal undead beasts that have no fear of piercing weaponry. Some are more or less dangerous than others; if you've got Skeletal Hippos and Elephants you're probably in for a world of hurt. If all you've got is skeletal deer you're in pretty good shape. It does mean that hunting and gathering are not viable food systems though.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 09:53:00 pm »

17 Hematite 1051
It would seem that the jaguar tired of waiting for one of us to venture after it and wandered off. We must stay on alert, as there may be bigger threats here.

Valconette has been gazing longingly at the herds of camels. She was a butcher in our mountainhome, so I assume she wishes to continue with that occupation. I hesitate to send out Retiree as, no matter how great a soldier he was in his youth, he may not be of that caliber now.

21 Malachite 1051
Our small dining room is finished. I will eat my meals in my office, so there are only six tables and chairs. I hope no one minds eating next to the farm.

Etched here is a modification of my aquifer penetration plan.

There will be four water wheels in the southern room with a screw pump between the pairs. My plan is to line our new pond with screw pumps and connect them to the water wheels with an axle. We have two logs at the moment, five if we tear down our wagon. The plan is at a standstill until we acquire an axe. I doubt we can trade for an anvil with the two tower cap earrings and the tower cap crown that Retiree crafted, so my hope lies with a migrant woodcutter deciding to show up.

17 Galena 1051
Sid has been complaining of nothing to do. He's a mason. They work with rock. We have none. On a lark, I told him to go fishing. He looked at me as if I were insane. Maybe I am, with a name like Crazybridged. He brought up the fine point that there was no water on the surface. I was not speaking of the surface. I pointed him in the direction of the pond that Forai carved and walked off. Much to my surprise, Sid later runs up to me grasping a turtle!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 10:15:00 pm »

-- 'Twould seem that I have done in 3/4 year what it took Captain Ironblood close to 30 years to do. I sure hope it doesn't ruin Val's plans. What happened, you ask? Read on and see!

27 Galena 1051
In a change of events, something of Retiree's has raised our spirits for once. It is with great pleasure that I write of the birth of two puppies. Their fur is so soft... I just have to wait until they get older and I can have a new pair of shoes.

1 Limestone 1051
Autumn is upon us. Etched below are our current stocks. I regret to say that I have been neglecting my bookkeeping duties. Although I do not have an exact count, it appears that we have enough food to last for some time.

4 Limestone 1051
More good news. The Anvil's war dog has given birth to two puppies also.
It seems that Claire and The Anvil act strangely around one another.

Valconette and I are... closer than earlier.

She wants something. I don't know what it is, but it isn't good. She is attempting to use me to get it. I'll go out and see if I can kill a camel. Maybe that will keep her away for a while.

[ March 14, 2008: Message edited by: Mephisto ]

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 10:20:00 pm »

From the journal of Retiree Whipmute...

There have been a few snickers in the halls and hints of my bow being **aged like a fine beer**.  These young ones know little of survival bah indeed Sid looked a babe with a lizard when he found a frickin turtle in the work zone, Bah!  I'll not go out hunting in this savage land until I have a Squadron nor will I sacrifice my beloved pets carelessly.  Until then they can all go dig in the sand as far as im concerned. Retirement Bah! Oh why did i drink so much at the meadhall for my going away ceremony BAH!

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 10:21:00 pm »

From the journal of Retiree Whipmute...

JUST WAIT. BAH!

Till I get a squadron im off to build a kenel for my new pups.  These youngsters didnt know I was an animal trainer in my youth.  These two will be strong wardogs like their parents.  The new life in this barren land revitalizes me and makes me feel younger.

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: berent ]

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 05:08:00 pm »

this is the only community fort i have a dwarf surviving in   :mad:

guard valconette carefully lest she slice ye up and make shin guards out of ye'!  

hope the updates keep coming meph, we're still watching =)

Pages: 1 [2] 3