Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weird Dwarves. (Community Fortress)  (Read 6405 times)

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weird Dwarves. (Community Fortress)
« on: March 11, 2008, 07:57:00 pm »

Umgushkogsak. The Weird Palisade. Populated by equally weird dwarves. Dwarves who, for some reason, DO NOT want to live underground! They want to create an above ground town! Pfaw! Cast 'em out of our mountainhomes!

Here's the plan. I'm going to start an above ground wooden town, each dwarf with their own house, a large palisade, etc. Should be iron and such underground, so there will be mining and steel making as there is also flux. Plenty of wood. A chasm as well, so there should be baddies to defend against, plus "all dwarves underground!" won't work when there's no place underground to hide in, so goblins will be a bit more of a threat...

Right, the seven sun-loving dwarves, all ready to be claimed: (incidentally, how does one export the text of the screens? I'm just copying this stuff by typing it all out again, so no accent marks.)

Unib Nolethnish, female, likes Anhydrite, Nickel Silver, Harlequin opal, amber, scarlet, clouds, coats, cats, two-humped camel cheese and Dwarven beer. She is friendly, unassertive, not a risk taker, aware of her emotions, put off by authority/tradition, guarded in relationships, is modest, and has a sense of duty.
Claimed by Sukasa
The recordkeeper, mechanic, and architect.

Athel "Athel" Thibammosus, female, likes Conglomerate, Fine pewter, Chrysocolla, Oak, Pig tail Fabric, green, cabinets, large gems and chains. She is concerned about ridicule/rejection, is unassertive, cheerful, compassionate, lacks confidence, organized, rules are confining, and strives for excellence.
Claimed by Ed-.
Carpenter, Woodcutter, and sometimes Axedwarf, who hates elves and wants to live in an Oak tower just to spite them.

Stukos Arrosurvad, male, likes Clay, Aluminum, Tsavorite, Mangrove, ivory, Pig tail Fabric, maces, quivers, hatch covers, earrings, chains, donkeys, black bear meat and Dwarven wine. He likes new ideas, is candid/sincere, not moved to pity, and does the first thing he thinks of.
Unclaimed.
The Farmer and cook.

Fath "Slag" odid, male, likes Native silver, Gold, Rhodolite, clear glass, coral, giant toad bones, chain mail, windows, anvils, longnose gars, and Dwarven sugar. He rarely feels discouraged, can handle stress, eager for new experiences, willing to compromise, completely disorganized, and rarely does more work than necessary.
Claimed by AlienChickenPie.
Furnace Operator, Wood Burner, and Armorsmith, who has a puppy, awww.

Rovod Tenshedral, female, likes Quartzite, Nickel silver, Pyrite, hatch covers, goblets, cows, and dwarven milk. She is slow to anger, doesn't handle stress well, enjoys being in crowds, is unassertive, put off by authority/tradition, is trusting, and takes time to make decisions.
Unclaimed.
The plant gatherer and brewer, with a bit of farming.

Bomrek "Sandono" Bablibash, male, likes Quartzite, Bronze, Gray chalcedony, giant rat leather, Pig tail Fabric, crossbows, idols, pixies, Plump Helmets, and Dwarven ale. He is assertive, appreciates art/beauty, candid and sincere, finds helping rewarding, not affected by suffering, is organized, doesn't do more work than necessary, and takes time to make decisions.
Claimed by Sandono
Hunter, marksdwarf, and just a hint of butchery/tanning, as well as professional marmot slayer.

Dakost "Largok" Ibeshrigoth, male, likes Limestone, Steel, Blue diamond, muskox leather, hatch covers, horses, and Dwarven syrup. He is paranoid, not moved to pity, and doesn't do more work than necessary.
Claimed by Splime.
Stonemaster! Also recluse, wanting to live underground, perfectly normal for a dwarf, but not this group.

Name the dwarf you want please, the profession, and what stuff you want your dwarf to bring.

[ March 11, 2008: Message edited by: Abyss ]

[ March 12, 2008: Message edited by: Abyss ]

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Dwarves. (Community Fortress)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 08:25:00 pm »

I'll take Fath, name him Slag.
X3 furnace operator
X2 wood burner
X5 Armorsmith
He brings an anvil (obviously), a puppy and a few lucky chunks of hematite.

Splime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

Can I be Dakost? Name him 'Largok', and name his professsion "Stonemaster".

He will have plenty of turtle and dwarven beer. Also, a pick.

Miner x5,
Mason x5

In a story sense, he should be reclusive. Not hermit challenge reclusive, but still reclusive.

[ March 11, 2008: Message edited by: Splime ]

Ed-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://heiteinah.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 08:32:00 pm »

Damn. I wanted Fath!

Anyways, give me Athel.

The name is fine, but, you might as well nickname her Athel if you want, to help you later.

Give her 5 in carpentery. 5 in wood cutting

Her's weirdness? She wants to live in a Oak Tower, because she hates the elfs and wants to piss them off greatly with such a "EVIL" tower. Heh..

She brings a steel axe and nothing more, because she needs nothing else to ... Finish her job.

You might as well give her anything you may think she'll need.

quot;''Mike Haggar'' Jaritek let out a sinister laughter! ''Mike Haggar'' has began a mysterious construction! [Several slaughtered goblins later] ''Mike Haggar'' has created Murrdusk, a Goblin Blood Pond. The Pond Menaces with skulls of Goblins and is hi

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 09:01:00 pm »

Okay, I've decided to embark. The three dwarves claimed above have been accounted for, and the others dwarves are as such: Unib is the record keeper, architect, and mechanic; Stukos is the farmer and cook, Rovod is the herbalist, brewer, and also a bit of a farmer; and Bomrek is the hunter as well as a tad bit of butchery and tanning. I'll edit the first post (These dwarves can still be claimed, mind you!), then describe the beginning events. Unib will be the one recording the events here, as he is the record keeper, and the leader will, of course, be decided upon reaching the site.

Strike the, ah, wood?

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 09:21:00 pm »

1st Granite, 1051, Early Spring.
Unib Nolethnish.

This page marks the first page of a new journal, one that will hopefully last a long while, as it is the journal of our group of eccentric dwarves, dwrves cast out of the mountainhomes because we, all of us, want to live aboveground! Except for Largok, who calls himself the Stonemaster. Who knows why he is with us, the only ones of us he even talked to are the two agricultural dwarves, probably because they will be able to give him food. And the way he stares at me over his shoulder...
  I digress. We are, apparently, here. Its a bit snowey here, even in spring, as we are right next to a cold mountain range, but there's plenty of green grass a little to the southeast. Where we'd be if the wagon hadn't lost that axle running over a hoary marmot, bah. Athel was asked to mend the axle, but she pointed out that the place we want to start building is just a short walk away, why bother? I know she's a good carpenter, so why is she so lacking in confidence?
  Ah well. Stukos has started giving orders, telling us to dismantle the wagon and bring all of the contents to where we will begin making our houses, except for Bomrek, who is to go out and slay some of those pesky hoary marmots.
  I was just told to go over our goods, make sure nothing was lost. Eh, better stop writing and get to work.

Ed-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 08:56:00 am »

So, we've arrived. This is such a cold, little spot, but, hopefully, it'll be our spot. There's nothing as delicious as the cold sun near the mountains, but, i want to be as high as the mountains... With a Oak Tower, i'll surely hit those filth elves who constantly felt despised with my Oaken Beds, which are top notch!

I don't get, they love wood, but, can't seem to like what we do! Bah! Trees are lifeless, and they don't complain if we make barrels to encase our food or our delicious beverage.

My friend Unib asked me to repair the wooden wheel of the wagon, but, we CAN'T do that. It's beyond repair and we have to stay here anyways. We could've walk to southeast, as he wanted, but, this is a fine spot. Plenty wood, and that's all i need.

Time to strike... eh.. those trees

quot;''Mike Haggar'' Jaritek let out a sinister laughter! ''Mike Haggar'' has began a mysterious construction! [Several slaughtered goblins later] ''Mike Haggar'' has created Murrdusk, a Goblin Blood Pond. The Pond Menaces with skulls of Goblins and is hi

Sandono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »

I claim the hunter name it Sandono.

Thank you.

t this rate, Baron Lorn is going to replace the entire population with his own children since the other dwarves either very rarely pop one out, or have no idea what that thing between their legs are used for besides going to the bathroom and making them f

Sandono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sandono:
<STRONG>I claim the hunter.

Name it Sandono.

Thank you.</STRONG>

Woops..

Hit quote instead of edit.

sorry

[ March 12, 2008: Message edited by: Sandono ]

t this rate, Baron Lorn is going to replace the entire population with his own children since the other dwarves either very rarely pop one out, or have no idea what that thing between their legs are used for besides going to the bathroom and making them f

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »

Unib appears unclaimed according tot he first post, I"ll take her.  Her personality is basically my own and she evens like mechnaics and such, like me XD

No need to rename her, but if the profession could be "Mechanical Engineer" please,  :)

<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 04:34:00 pm »

Dwarves claimed!

The two farmers, one a cook and one a brewer, are as of yet unclaimed; the cook/farmer is even the leader of the expedition!

9 Granite, 1051, Early Spring.
Unib Nolethnish.

I never knew how much all of this fresh air could invigorate a dwarf. Not like those stuffy old mountainhomes! Bah! Nice to have a completely fresh start! By Armok, I think I'll even change what people call me. "Mechanical Engineer" has a good ring to it. I think adding "Fortress Database Expert" would be too much, alas.

Anyways, we finished transporting all of our goods from the broken wagon to our new site, and I had just started going over what we have as way of supplies when Athel came over to me and asked for the axe, she wanted to start chopping wood down so we could all start building the houses and such. She said something about favoring oak. I don't know if I have the heart to tell her that this is a forest of pines, cedars, and larches, no oaks to be seen. Anyways, absentmindedly I handed her something with a handle and a weight on the end, then went back to my work. She asked what she was supposed to do with what I had handed her, I told her to go cut down a tree, you silly girl.

A moment later, I heard a loud "THUNK!" All of us looked up at her, and the tree she had just dented. With a war hammer!

A war hammer! Not a battle axe! What fiendery is this? Was this a cruel joke? Did the dwarves back at the mountainhomes hate us that much that they swapped out our axe with a hammer?

Slag volunteered to turn the wagon into charcoal to smelt the hematite he had brought into an axe for her.

Sigh. A war hammer, and no one knows how to use it.

Well, at least we brought an anvil with us, Slag is busy setting up the forge.

Oh, and a fell mood came over Bomrek today... he slaughtered a hoary marmot, then came over to Stukos, who called everyone over to hear what Bomrek had to say.

The hunter raised the still bloody corpse over his head then said in a powerful voice, "I am become Sandono, destroyer of Marmots!"

He then walked away to kill another one. We all shrugged then went back to work.

[ March 12, 2008: Message edited by: Abyss ]

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »

The two agricultural dwarves are still open.

21st Slate, 1051, Mid-Spring.

What an invigorating nap! Lying under the sky, sleeping, so restful... of course it would be restful though, as we labored for an entire month before even beginning to become tired! What is it about we dwarves, that we ignore the cycle of day and night which other races follow, and toil for days and weeks before resting for almost as long amount of time?

Anyways, we've started constructing the buildings for us to use. An underground storeroom for the food is being dug out by the Stonemaster, so the food doesn't spoil easily during winter. We've also begun the construction of a barracks for us to rest in while we build the houses proper. The walls are up, we just need to roof it and put the door on then the beds will go in.

Still need to manufacture the beds, too.

The Stonemaster came up to me with an odd request of me. He whispered it to me, while glancing around at the others. Seems that he's building a maze as an entrance to his room, and he wants me to fill it with traps for him, just so long as I don't go into his room. Period. I also wasn't to tell anyone else of the traps.

I asked him what sort of traps he wanted. He told me anything that didn't result in a live creature.

He freaks me out a little.

In other news, monarch butterflies are flitting about our beards... so beautiful. I want to make a mitten out of them.

6th Malachite, 1051, Mid-Summer

We almost lost Largok. He departed our camp, mumbling something about a dead goat. Next thing we knew, he was running back towards us screaming bloody murder, an antman at his heels! Athel hefted her axe and Sandono hefted his crossbow and ran to meet the antman, but upon seeing that it was outnumbered the anthropomorphized formicidae turned tail and ran as well. Largok the Stonemaster ran past me, whispering "traps!", then disappeared down his barrow. That was a week ago, and he only now just stuck his head out to grab a drink then disappear below again.

He was lucky. Shortly afterwards, we watched a Giant Cave Spider ambush a poor mountain goat, covering it in sickly webbing and draining it of blood in a very messy manner. A sombering sight, truly. Stukos watched it with a twinkle in his eye, though, and seemed to have a smile as he returned to his task. I wonder what he has planned.

Other than that, the barracks have been completed and work has begun on the other buildings. Stukos has ordered the workshops to be given proper buildings before we get out own houses. So far, the smithy is halfway through being constructed.

The plan for the different buildings:

code:

+++++++D
+WWW...+
+WWW.<.+
+WWW...+
+WWWWWW+
+WWWWWW+
+WWWWWW+
++++++++

Storage on the top level, with an additional level if needed. Maybe a chair/table in the open space, too.

[ March 14, 2008: Message edited by: Abyss ]

Splime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 08:11:00 pm »

Wow, that was close... Yeah, traps are always good. And great job and making me sound crazy!

Ed-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »

Really close indeed.

I NEED MY TOWER SO THE SPIDER CAN'T CLIMB IT.

Oh... Back to cutting wood.

Foul_Jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 05:39:00 am »

May I claim one of the agricultural dwarves?  
Stukos, hence called 'Jester'.
I once had a fortress like you're planning, got wiped out by goblins, it did.  Very few survivors.

[ March 15, 2008: Message edited by: Foul_Jester ]

seek the dying, the sick and deformed; all who would taint the species
stabbing and choking and burning and drowning exterminate subhuman feces
Pages: [1] 2