Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The Tundra Clan: Succession (New rulers in need!)  (Read 19156 times)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: The Tundra Clan: Succession (New rulers in need!)
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2008, 02:36:00 pm »

Logem? What a coincidence.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

I'll get to it when I get home. The university computers can't handle DF (and we're not supposed to use them for games... blah blah blah...).
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2008, 02:54:00 pm »

Just felt I had to let you know how much I like the fortress design you guys came up with. The whole "subterranean village" look with that bridged chasm looks great.

The logs make good reading too.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 05:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jusal:
<STRONG>Just felt I had to let you know how much I like the fortress design you guys came up with. The whole "subterranean village" look with that bridged chasm looks great.

The logs make good reading too.</STRONG>

I really didnt expect the chasm to be so far up, and I had to improvise, alot.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2008, 07:11:00 pm »

I'm having trouble playing the fortress on my current install of DF (Recieving Fatal Error: Missing Word Definition). I'm going to try a clean install, if this doesn't work I will pass my turn on to the next person.

Frigging 'ell, I can't get it to work. Unless somone has a suggestion I'm going to need to pass on my turn. -.-

[ February 21, 2008: Message edited by: Jamini ]

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2008, 12:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Jamini:
<STRONG>I'm having trouble playing the fortress on my current install of DF (Recieving Fatal Error: Missing Word Definition). I'm going to try a clean install, if this doesn't work I will pass my turn on to the next person.

Frigging 'ell, I can't get it to work. Unless somone has a suggestion I'm going to need to pass on my turn. -.-

[ February 21, 2008: Message edited by: Jamini ]</STRONG>

Alright, ill put you back in at spot 11 if you can figure out what the issue was.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »

Hm, so I'm next then? I'll get on it.

Edit: I'm taking a random dwarf and nobody can stop me.

Here's a journal for some of spring:

1st of Granite, 1054:
I was voted into power, a simple metalsmith. I've taken a look at things and it seems to me that this fortress has been kept awfully.

There are stone blocks in the metal bar stockpile, there are huge human-sized weapons and wimpy daggers in the weapons stockpile, and no dwarf has a door despite the apparent excess of stone, and other things. It will be fixed, believe me. It will all be fixed.

I've begun by ordering that only metal bars be in the stockpile, orderded the construction of ten stone doors (not enough, but enough for now) and have decided to have one of the smelters removed. This is because we will be melting weapons and other useless stuff, and the smelters cannot share their partial bars of metal.

Also, I've ordered a few bins and barrels made, because the previous rulers of this fortress must have decided that the wood was to valuable to use. Why have wood if you aren't going to use it?

There's also an insane dwarf in a craftsdwarf's workshop.

3rd of Granite, 1054:
This fort is huge, sprawling, and particularly annoying. Everything takes forever to happen. I do like the bridge over the chasm; at least I will like it until a giant cave spider jumps out and eats us all.

8th of Granite, 1054:
I've given myself the title of "Comrade" to show the other dwarves that I'm their friend. I've also demoted Moocow, the former leader, to the title "Former Leader".

There are several doors up, and there's now a quicker way to get between the weapon stockpile and the smelter.

Also, that insane dwarf has created a wax opal cabinet, encrusted in more wax opal, worth 24000 monies, and named it Divinehelp. I hope it lives up to its name.

21st of Granite, 1054:
The elves came to trade, and we were doing well (got a whole lot of wood) but then we accidentally offered them something with a bit of leather on it. We had to seize the rest of what we wanted.

I was disappointed, because them leaving mainly meant that we had to keep most of the goblins' junk.

Melting is coming along well; we have some more iron bars. I've noticed the military is almost nonexistent. Something needs to be done about that.

There's also a serious dog problem, shown by what happens when the animal trainer takes one:

They're like a swarm of flies; When you're coming down the hall and you see a dog, you know to get out of the way of the huge wave of puppies that comes behind it.

26th of Granite, 1054:
I've noticed that there's two carpenter's workshops: one close to the wood stockpile and one very far away. I've ordered the distant one to be demolished. I've also ordered 20 more doors made.

And the dogs keep having puppies. They're everywhere. I'm scared.

[ February 22, 2008: Message edited by: penguinofhonor ]

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2008, 04:48:00 pm »

10th of Slate, 1054:
One of our recruits has become a speardwarf. I've made some greaves because these four dwarves are all we have for defense, and they need stronger armor. Melting the goblins' and humans' armor has given us some more iron.

The dogs continue to pump out puppies, but we already have far too much refuse and do not need any more.

12th of Slate, 1054:
I told the dwarves to dump those blocks somewhere, but it seems that they've been ordered to dump everything into the chasm. Not that that's bad, it was just unexpected.

17th of Slate, 1054:
There... there was a skeletal muskox that got into the fortress. It took out two dwarves and badly injured another. I was injured a bit, but I'll be back up in a little. Unless I dehydrate, because there aren't any buckets for carrying water. I've ordered two made.

19th of Slate, 1054:
I was just informed that there is no water in the fortress. If I don't get better soon, I will die. Dwarven ale is strong and is not suited for the injured, for it increases blood flow or something and causes you to bleed more.

I don't know what's going to happen to me. I've ordered the construction of coffins. I'm praying to Datan Shinrisen Lolok that I survive.

[OOC: Torak, am I allowed to make a successor? Or is this one of those succession games where if your dwarf dies then it gets immediately passed on to the next person?]

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »

Well my dwarf died and I just started writing everything from the manager's point of view.

You can save your dwarf though. Just make a booze stockpile next to his bed and demolish said bed when he gets thirsty. Lock the door to his room so he can't get out too. Then he'll have nothing to do but drink. Then you simply reconstruct the bed and repeat ad nauseum.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2008, 05:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>
[OOC: Torak, am I allowed to make a successor? Or is this one of those succession games where if your dwarf dies then it gets immediately passed on to the next person?]</STRONG>

Another can take the place, it's not a hardcore succession.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2008, 10:25:00 pm »

5th of Felsite, 1054:
I can feel my death drawing nearer. Slowly. I have an excellent tomb, though, engraved by our amazing engraver. Whatever his name is.

We haven't made any green glass with our lack of sand, so that crackpot mayor of ours ordered a dwarf to be beaten. A random dwarf. He healed quickly, though.

Much of the fortress stone is being smoothed now; for some reason nobody ordered the dwarves to do so before now.

13th of Felsite, 1054:
We got many immigrants, bringing our population up to 66.

One was a Dungeon Master, who I saw wasn't wearing any pants. I decided not to ask.

We'll need to mine out some rooms, anyway.

I'm also thinking about who to be my successor.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2008, 11:55:00 pm »

3rd of Hematite, 1054:
Comrade Penguino died of thirst. Somehow he crawled out of his bed and almost made it to the food stockpile. Pitiful. I am his replacement, Comrade Tocino the Fish Cleaner. I shall rule forever. None can stop me.

I shall order the construction of a beautiful tomb, a tomb more beautiful than Penguino's by far.

Actually, I could just dump his coffin into the chasm and take his tomb. I'm sure he won't miss it.

4th of Hematite, 1054:
How many dogs are there in this fortress? Almost fifty, thirty or so of which are puppies. I shall order them all slaughtered and their flesh baked into beautiful roasts as a celebration of my rise to power.

Moocow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2008, 02:25:00 am »

Watch where you're dumping that coffin; might hit mine.
Death solves all problems - no dwarf, no problem.
- Joseph Stalin

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2008, 01:48:00 pm »

19th of Hematite, 1054:
I've been informed that the human caravan came today. They were slowed in their progress by the wave of puppies. The mayor is getting a drink.

An insane peasant became peculiarly secretive and took over a craftsdwarf's workshop. I've ordered him to be killed for insolence, but the other dwarves say that they know what he's doing. He took some of our precious logs, so it better be good.

I've ordered two beautiful brass bins to be made. They aren't wood and that's what matters.

20th of Hematite, 1054:
The craftsdwarf that was injured in the same incident as Penguino died today.

I hear that the dungeon master is getting a tomb before me. This will not go unpunished.

21st of Hematite, 1054:
We traded with the humans today. We asked for large amounts of their goods, and they looked at us as if we couldn't buy that much. We then showed them one of our giant cave spider silk socks. They practically fainted, because it seems that's exactly what they asked from us last year.

This happened about four times. We're swimming in wood, food, weapons, and booze. I've ordered the construction of two wooden barrels as a celebration.

28th of Hematite, 1054:
That peasant has been grabbing everything he can! He's taken gems, leather, wood, and stone. I cannot stand this. I shall have him killed.

1st of Malachite, 1054:
The peasant is working in the workshop. I'm not going to have him killed because some of the other dwarves said that it would bring a lot of fame and wealth to this fortress.

The humans are still sitting there in the trade depot, counting their socks as our dwarves take everything the humans used to own to our stockpiles.

6th of Malachite:
I've been informed that the peasant created a maple earring called "The Roots of Drowning," encrusted with obsidian, decorated with willow, encircled with bands of dog leather and wax opal, has spikes of dog leather, an image of a coin in tower-cap, an image of circles in dog leather, and an image of traveling dwarves in wax opal. It's worth 34800 monies and the peasant says he knows how to craft wood now. Which we don't need at all. He's going back into the military.

15th of Malachite:
The humans are leaving. I swear I saw one of them rubbing his face against one of those horrendously overpriced socks.

We're almost done with the dungeon master's quarters. He's demanding an armor stand and a weapon rack, both of which are useless. Just because that demand is silly, we're giving him an armor stand that can't hold armor and a weapon rack that can't hold weapons. It's a very clever plan.

17th of Malachite:
The human merchant person came to the mayor today, and he ordered exactly what I told him to order: more wood, some iron, and some gold.

3rd of Galena:
I have ordered the dwarves to dump the bones of a dwarf down the chasm to test their loyalty and see if they could possibly do the same for old Penguino. The test is successful; they dumped the bones without question. I am ordering more puppies to be slaughtered in celebration.

It seems that a dog has been bitten by a cave spider. I shall examine it for symptoms.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2008, 04:38:00 pm »

13th of Limestone:
The dwarven caravan came today. We're hauling some magical giant cave spider silk socks up to them, but I suspect that the mayor will want to take a nap once the caravan is ready to trade.

Much of the fort is smoothed now, and some of it is engraved. The food stockpiles are overflowing with dog meat and tallow, so I've ordered a new one placed above the dining room.

Our three new military squads are getting more powerful. They should be ready to start training with weapons by the end of the year. I'll be happy watching them rise to become champions, knowing that I was the one who allowed them to gain their power.

Only one thing stands in my way: some stupid rule that says that we have to get a new leader at the beginning of each year.

14th of Limestone:
Damn, the human merchant baroness seems to have succeeded in her plight to walk over every nook and cranny of our fortress, including the traps. I didn't notice that she didn't make it out alive. Oops. I hope the humans don't get angry.

Actually, I hope they do. Next year, it won't be my problem. That rule is useful after all.

15th of Limestone:
We made a killing with the dwarven caravan! They gave us some leather, some cloth and thread, several miscellaneous pieces of steel armor, booze, wood, metal, gems, and dye in exchange for our socks.

The only problem is that we are running low on narrow giant cave spider silk socks. That's bad.

I also bought many metal cages from the dwarves, because they can be melted down into a bar of metal each, if my calculations are correct. Their tin and zinc cages are a marvelous source of... tin and zinc.

We must prepare for winter and the small decrease in the normal freezing temperature it brings. The new food stockpile will be put to use as soon as Ol' Mirrorpicks stops drinking. I swear, he's been at it for a while. He needs to get working soon, though.

[OOC: do dwarves use mugs now? I've been seeing the occasional obsidian mug in the dining room.]

24th of Limestone:
I've noticed we have a lot of metal bars. Not sure what to do about it but order a bunch of iron high boots and gauntlets made. Our dwarves need them anyways.

1st of Sandstone:
A carpenter appears as if he's possessed and he's running towards the carpenter's workshop. Something tells me this won't be as profitable as the last guy who did something like this, and he became a wood crafter which really isn't too profitable anyways.

Also, the wood stockpile has been smoothed and the leather stockpile is in the process of being smoothed. I can't believe nobody else actually used our "legendary" engraver to his full ability. There are two not-so-expert engravers helping him out.

4th of Sandstone:
The carpenter took the workshop and grabbed a precious tower-cap log, some dog leather, a pyrolusite block, some superior quality cave spider cloth, an obsidian stone, and some topazes. Good thing I've been dumping all the bad-quality cloth into the chasm, or he might have taken some of that. He certainly didn't look like he was paying much attention to what he was grabbing, anyways.

I've decided to train everyone in one of the new squads in war hammers just for the fun of it. I guess if anyone wants to train them in crossbows later, they can, but I prefer war hammers.

Almost all of the puppies have been slaughtered now. That's one more good thing I've done with my rule.

8th of Sandstone:
The carpenter finished what he was working on. It's a tower cap armor stand worth 34800 monies. It's decorated with cave spider silk, bands of obsidian and tower cap, and spikes of dog leather, topaz, and pyrolusite.

More puppies were born, and I had them marked for slaughter. There will be no useless puppies in my fortress.

Our soldiers seem intent on bringing the barrels of booze all the way to the barracks before drinking them, which would be fine if the civilians didn't immediately bring them back to the food stockpiles.

I noticed we still have a lack of doors in this fortress and have ordered ten more made.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6