Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: The Tundra Clan: Succession (New rulers in need!)  (Read 19154 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: The Tundra Clan: Succession (New rulers in need!)
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »

11th of Sandstone:
A dwarf got bitten by a cave spider today. A fortress guard, so he's not really anything important.

18th of Sandstone:
I've figured out an idea to make the workshops so that they aren't all the way across the fortress from the stockpiles: we'll build them directly below the stockpiles! I wonder why nobody has thought of this yet... I am truly the greatest ruler yet and the dwarves will surely not care if I take another year or three of my rule.

We found two dead dwarves on the traps, the dwarven liason and his guard. They seem to have decided to leave via the trap channel instead of the open regular channel.

There are immigrants. Again. I've decided to make them enter through the trap channel to see what happens. I've also ordered more coffins to be made.

20th of Sandstone:
Nothing happened. Drats. The orders for coffins have been cancelled.

There weren't many anyways, only seven. With them, the fortress population is now 73. There is also a new military squad.

1st of Timber:
I've ordered another of the military squads to become macedwarves. I like maces even more than I like war hammers. The next squad, the largest one, are speardwarves.

6th of Timber:
There was a huge cloud of miasma from the butcher's workshop. I'll need to watch that and order all junk in there dumped into the chasm.

What's at the bottom of that chasm, anyway? I don't like it just being there, in the middle of everything. It's strange. Dangerous. Someone could fall in, and that would be horrible... unless I wanted them to fall in. Bwa ha ha!

15th of Timber:
I've ordered that the entire stockpile area be smoothed and a small platform built extending off of one side of the chasm part of the way down to test my "falling" idea.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2008, 08:38:00 pm »

1st of Moonstone:
The bridge on the "falling" trap works. Now to test it on someone. Someone unimportant...

5th of Moonstone:
Bwahahahahahahahaha! It worked! IT WORKED! That silly fishery worker has fallen down the chasm. He threatened my authority. I'm the only fishery worker allowed here.

Anyone who says differently can face the full wrath of whatever's on the bottom of the chasm. And it'll be angry, considering we've been dumping junk on it for a while.

Instructions to my successor:

• Draft a dwarf into the army and tell him that he has a "special position" on the tip of that retracting bridge three or so levels beneath the west end of the main chasm bridge.
  • Order a dwarf to pull the lever on the EAST side of the dining room. Pulling the lever in the WEST of the dining room will result in the drawbridge in the entrance of the fortress raising.
  • Tell the dwarves that he tripped when he was walking along the edge of the chasm.

[OOC: don't do this to important dwarves (old leaders and the like) because it's definitely a boring and lame way to die]

8th of Moonstone:
I've ordered the construction of a trifle pewter bin in celebration of my immense success.

14th of Moonstone:
The legendary bone carver gave birth to a boy today.

The movement of the craftsdwarves' workshops down below the finished goods pile is going well. Due to their structure, I was forced to make them on three separate levels.

16th of Moonstone:
This must be a hasty entry: a goblin master thief was sighted. He's one of their leaders. He met a macedwarf. I'm going to watch.

22nd of Moonstone:
There was an ambush. Comrade Tocino was killed. I, Comrade Sir Paul McCartney, a soaper, will take his place as leader for the remaining three fourths of the winter.

[OOC: man, I can't stop losing leaders!]

We are currently producing some more coffins and hauling in dead bodies and loot. The melting operation is still going strong, of course.

The legendary woodcrafter was injured so badly that he dropped his treasured maple earring. Now he's resting and I fear he will die the same way that Comrade Penguino did.

Ugh, this leader business is not easy. I will not regret leaving it come spring.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2008, 08:42:00 pm »

3 rulers dead in one year, what terrible luck.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2008, 07:27:00 am »

Terrible, or terribly entertaining?
Nice work, that had me laughing out loud!
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2008, 02:59:00 pm »

1st of Opal:
The winter is one third over. I'm almost out of here.

I've ordered the construction of two more forges with some anvils we had laying around.

2nd of Opal:
I've found the cause of the dog problem. They all follow Kivish Helmedhandle, the animal trainer. All 30 of them. He is the cause of the perpetual traveling wave of dogs. I don't know what to do with him.

5th of Opal:
I've ordered the entire eastern hallway, that leads to the bedrooms and barracks, smoothed. It won't be done by the end of my rule, sadly. I'll still be around to see it, I guess.

17th of Opal:
It seems I underestimated the speed of our full engraving force. The eastern hallway is fully smoothed and I'm now ordering part of the entrance hallway to be smoothed.

23rd of Opal:
Almost all of the mace and spear squads are skilled in their weapon.

I just noticed the design of the dining room and that it wasn't completed yet. I've ordered six tables and five chairs made to complete the design.

27th of Opal:
A leatherworker has become peculiarly secretive. As expected, he's running for the leather workshop. We've all been through this drill multiple times. He'll be able to quickly gather what he wants due to the new workshop placement.

3rd of Obsidian:
The leatherworker grabbed a lot of stuff: some dog leather, two rough yellow spessartines, a cinnabar block, and a cut crystal opal.

[OOC: I hope it's a sword]

The year is almost over.

7th of Obsidian:
The leatherworker ran up to me today. I said, "What are ye doin' up here? I thought ye were workin' on some kind o' project."

"Ter usher in th' new year, I thought I'd donate it to th' fortress."

"That was mighty nice of ye. What is it, anyways?"

"A dog leather thong."

I was shocked. Of all the things he could have made... a thong?

He spoke again: "It's not just any dog leather thong, sur."

"What kind o' dog leather thong is it?"

"I called it Paintedgleeful the Smooth Clash-Spine. I covered all over with yello' spessartine an' cinnabar, made it all spiky with some dog leather an' crystal opal, sewed an image of a dimple cup in pig tail, an' made a picture of a dwarf in yello' spessartine."

"Sounds comfortable."

Now we have a spiky dog leather thong sitting around. It scares me.

16th of Obsidian:
The legendary wood crafter turned wrestler is almost dead. Pity.

17th of Obsidian:
I was right. He's dead.

22nd of Obsidian:
A macedwarf gave birth to a girl today. On the chasm bridge. Which is bad, considering dwarven mothers have been known to launch their babies several feet. She was lucky and nothing happened.

25th of Obsidian:
I commissioned some engravings today. Two of them were of a dog leather thong. That thing is on the minds of too many of our dwarves to be healthy.

1st of Granite:
I'm done. Leaving forever. None of this silly leader buisness anymore... I hope.

Here's the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=31

Someone else will have to get the map, because the map compressor doesn't seem to want to work for me. Darn.

Important:
We have some shells, but don't put anyone on crafting them like the person before me did. We need them for moods.

[ February 24, 2008: Message edited by: penguinofhonor ]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »

Downloading the save now.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2008, 03:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>16th of Obsidian:
The legendary wood crafter turned wrestler is almost dead. Pity.

17th of Obsidian:
I was right. He's dead.</STRONG>

Mafol?

Also, updated first post, notifying Dame.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2008, 06:16:00 pm »

1st Granite, 1055
I am Durien, latest in the line of leaders of the fortress.  I am an animal trainer by trade, and am uncertain why my fellow dwarves have chosen me for this honor.  However, I will discharge my new responsibilities to the best of my ability.

2nd Granite, 1055
I have noticed a distinct lack of tables and chairs.  Granted, there are thirty of each in the main dining room, but there are nearly 70 dwarves!  This will not do and I have commanded that the masons make up at least thirty more of each.

3rd Granite, 1055
It has been brought to my attention that the trade depot is far away from all of the craftsworkshops and there is no stockpile nearby to hold the trade goods.  I have ordered one dug out and smoothed beneath the depot.  It ought to speed things up considerably when the traders are around.

7th Granite, 1055
I have taken up the pick, in the hopes of speeding up the necessary digging.  Two strokes into it, I have struck alunite.  Bah!  Another worthless white stone.

11th Granite, 1055
I have ordered an emplacement dug out for a ballista to cover the front entranceway.  Even though there are a lot of traps, one can never have too many defenses.

16th Granite, 1055
An elven caravan has arrived, and I was relieved to find that my fellow dwarves did not expect me to meet with them.  Instead, the task falls to the mayor, who has shouldered this burden for each of the past three years.

17th Granite, 1055
A goblin thief has been spotted.  No sooner was he dealt with than a group of hammergoblins ambushed the elven caravan.  Since they are elves, I have decided to let them fend for themselves.  We'll see if their "kindness" is reciprocal.

18th Granite, 1055
The hauling dwarves would insist on gathering the supplies the elves have...donated.  I have sent the military out to protect those dwarves, and to give them practice.

21st Granite, 1055
Well, that could have gone better.  Two soldiers and three civilians died at the hands of goblins.  Clearly, the military needs to be beefed up.  None of the elves survived, but that's unimportant.  Need I say, free stuff?

5th Slate, 1055
Construction has begun on the siege workshop, and the dogs are giving birth to puppies left, right and center.

9th Slate, 1055
Another goblin snatcher.  It was dealt with the same way as the last one.

14th Slate, 1055
Sibrek has become a Swordmaster.

16th Slate, 1055
I have decided that I don't like my current quarters and have started mining out quarters better suited to my status as leader.

20th Slate, 1055
Some migrants have arrived.  It appears that they have heard of our innovative leadership and wish to take part.  Many will be drafted, for our military needs bulking up.

22nd Slate, 1055
I have commanded the formation of a squad of marksdwarves, since there a couple of immigrants who are familiar with the use of a crossbow.

8th Felsite, 1055
Mafol Eralast, Weaver has been taken by a fey mood and claimed the clothier's shop he was working in.  

9th Felsite, 1055
Mafol has begun work on his inspiration using some of the spider silk cloth, the ever-present obsidian and milk quartzes.

13th Felsite, 1055
The weaver has completed his artifact, a silk toga.  Although it  looks quite fine, I would never wish to wear it.  The thing has spikes all over it!

21st Felsite, 1055
The first ballista has been built.  Goblins beware!

22nd Felsite, 1055
Of course, ballistas are useless without any ammo, so I have ordered several ballista arrows to be forged out of iron.

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2008, 08:25:00 pm »

2nd Hematite, 1055
The undead demons have returned.  If they venture too near the fort, they shall face the wrath of our siege engine!

5th Hematite, 1055
The swordsdwarves have made quick work of the skeletal menace.

8th Hematite, 1055
The mayor has commanded the construction of green glass items.  No matter that there is no sand.  I have likewise commanded that her command be ignored.

10th Hematite, 1055
The humans have arrived and I have ordered all trade goods moved to the depot.

16th Hematite, 1055
The mayor has negotiated a fine deal with the human traders, gaining more logs and drink, and some metal that we have not yet found here.

22nd Hematite, 1055
Another goblin ambush.

23rd Hematite, 1055
Durien has died fighting goblins.  It has been agreed that I, the engraver Dulcet, will carry out his term.

27th Hematite, 1055
As there are large stretches of our home that are still rough-hewn, I have decreed that they all be smoothed, incidentally giving myself more work to do.

4th Malachite, 1055
More migrants have arrived.

9th Malachite, 1055
I have ordered the bedroom area expanded, as there are far too few beds for the current number of dwarves.

14th Malachite, 1055
The human traders have departed for their next stop.

16th Malachite, 1055
Another goblin snatcher.

19th Malachite, 1055
And another two snatchers.

28th Malachite, 1055
It has been brought to my attention that there is no water to give to the recuperating dwarves.  I supposed there is nothing left to do but pray to the gods for their swift recovery.

13th Galena, 1055
One of the injured peasants has succumbed to thirst and died.

14th Galena, 1055
i threw a party for my fellow dwarves today, to celebrate my achievement of legendary status.  I am now Dulcet, Legendary Engraver!

21st Galena, 1055
The craftsdwarf Kadol has gone fey and claimed a Clothier's shop.

22nd Galena, 1055
After claiming only some rope reed cloth and some red zircons, Kadol has begun his work.

27th Galena, 1055
Kadol has created a short skirt made out of rope reed.  I think it's very pretty and asked him to give it to me, which he did since he claims to have no use for it.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2008, 04:24:00 pm »

2nd Limestone, 1055
I have ordered the construction of some more weapon traps at the entrance, just in case.

4th Limestone, 1055
I have decided that I need a tomb worthy of being a leader of the Tundra Clan.  I have chosen, as my site, the empty space in the bottom of our clan's sign.

[Note to my successor: when Dulcet dies and is buried in her tomb, wall up the entrance with obsidian blocks.]

5th Limestone, 1055
One of the resting recruits has died of thirst.  Apparently because the fool dwarf was too lazy to get up and walk the few feet to the alcohol stockpile (his arm was injured, not his legs) and there was no water source available.

13th Limestone, 1055
I have begun engraving my future tomb.  Although not the most elaborate of constructions, it will be very nice indeed.

15th Limestone, 1055
The dwarven traders have returned, and so I have commanded all the goods to the depot and requested that the mayor go to greet them.

16th Limestone, 1055
It has just been brought to my attention that we are almost out of drinks.  I have immediately ordered more brewing, at max priority and have prohibited the brewers from all hauling tasks.

20th Limestone, 1055
The trading is complete.  Mayor Dumat has succeeded in buying all of the wood available, as well as more alcohol.  In addition, she has acquired several more weapons useful in traps, so that we may extend our defenses.

3rd Sandstone, 1055
A dragon has arrived!  I am told her name is Dolil Glimmeredfrost.  I only hope that our defenses will hold against such a fearsome beast.

5th Sandstone, 1055
Those of the military who were itching for a fight were fated to be disappointed.  Dolil managed to go through three rows of traps but was killed in the fourth.  The civilians, including myself, were relieved, however.  Dragons were dangerous beasts and no one wanted to meet one face to snout.

12th Sandstone, 1055
The swordsmaster Sibrek has become the fort's first champion!  We all stopped work and celebrated the entire day.  The humans, however, were unimpressed and left while we were drunker than usual.

23rd Sandstone, 1055
The wrestler Kivish, has died of thirst.  Why they demand water when any self-respecting dwarf would only drink alcohol is beyond my comprehension.

4th Timber, 1055
The bone carver Sarvesh has given birth to a girl.  She and her husband are, rightly, quite proud.

14th Timber, 1055
One of the guards, Likot, has become the first wrestling champion, to the joy of her fellow guards.

16th Timber, 1055
The second swordmaster, Asen, has joined the champion ranks.  I must say I feel much safer now, with several champions to defend the fort against all comers.

20th Timber, 1055
The Macedwarf Edem has given birth to a second girl.

25th Timber, 1055
Dumat has demanded gold items this time.  Gold!  When we have not a single nugget of the stuff!  She is clearly crazy.  In good news today, Zuntir has finally come of age and is ready to work in the fort.  In fact, I have told her to enter the military and take up the hammer in defense of her home.

26th Timber, 1055
The spearmaster Asob has become the first spear champion.

27th Timber, 1055
Another of the fortress guards, Sodel, has joined the ranks of champions.  At this rate it seems like half the military will be champions before the end of winter.

[Note: I'll try to finish my turn tonight, tomorrow at the latest.]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2008, 09:06:00 pm »

1st Moonstone, 1055
Winter has begun, the final season of my tenure as leader.

14th Moonstone, 1055
Work has finally finished on the milling area near the farms, and the windmill is providing less power than I had hoped.  I will have to order another one built to take up the slack.

15th Moonstone, 1055
Several goblin macemen and a guard have appeared at the entrance of our fort.  Fortunately a puppy was near and spotted them before they could enter.  A siege operator stationed at the ballista fired the first shot, taking out all but two of the goblins, a puppy and a couple of wardogs,  The last two goblins fled in horror.

17th Moonstone, 1055
Another ambush, this time a group of goblin axemen and a second group made up of crossbowmen.   They were soon joined by two goblin thieves and yet another squad of goblin macemen.  

20th Moonstone, 1055
The resulting battle was swift and deadly.  The siege operator fled from his station at the sight of so many goblins, and the two recruits died along with a couple of civilian dwarves before the experienced military arrived.  However, the champions and mace lords took care of the goblins swiftly and in deadly purpose, coming out with not a scratch.

28th Moonstone, 1055
More goblin snatchers.  I would have thought that considering none of them ever leave, they would stop coming.  I suppose their stupidity is unmatched.

19th Opal, 1055
The report reached me from several other dwarves, and no doubt the entire fort will know before long.  It seems the clothier Kivish has gone fey and has claimed a clothier's shop.

24th Opal, 1055
With the second windmill up and running, the millstones are fully powered and can now be used to add a bit more variety to our diets.  Plump helmets only go so far.

26th Opal, 1055
It took Kivish a week to gather all of his materials, but he seems to have found everything he needs and has set to work.

2nd Obsidian, 1055
Kivish has completed his artifact, a pig tail chausse.  It is very nice, and very expensive since he decided to use aluminum in the decorations, but not entirely my style.  It is now lying in the workshop, and I suppose some dwarf with more dubious taste will claim it eventually.

6th Obsidian, 1055
I have begun setting things in order for my successor.  I will be a bit sorry to hand over leadership of this fortress to another, but it is the agreement that all who come here have made.

13th Obsidian, 1055
Today the guard Libash has joined the ranks of the champions.

16th Obsidian, 1055
The spearmaster Kivish has also become a champion.  With seven champions total, our fort is now well defended against most threats, I think.

25th Obsidian, 1055
Nish has grown to become a child today.  Although she can not do any work yet, I am sure she will help in the fields as the other children do.

And here's the save

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2008, 09:09:00 am »

Im giving tyrving until later today to respond until it goes to the next in line.

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »

Sorry, I'm gonna have to pass my turn. My computer's busted, and I'm posting from my bro's. Hopefully it'll get fixed soon...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »

Updated, notified Jonestown.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2008, 10:12:00 pm »

If you ever need, like need, a new ruler, then I could go up again. But only if there's nobody else.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6