Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Dwarven Musical Chairs  (Read 18472 times)

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Musical Chairs
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Stravitch:
<STRONG>The save I got won't work in G, pretty sure it was played through in A.  Especially since I now see merchants in cage traps.  Any suggestions? Just keep playing it?</STRONG>

I guess so. Guh. Why can't people READ?

"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2008, 04:17:00 pm »

lol just looking through the dwarves moods here at work, this place is a powder keg just waiting to implode in on itself.  Dwarves beserk everwhere!

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2008, 10:46:00 am »

Apologies for lateness, wasn't able to get to my Dwarf Fortress USB stick.

--------------------

*much damage has apparently been done to the log*

$&*%, why did Ingish have to tear up my log pages when he was tantruming?!  I never did anything wrong to him!

Anyway, at some point one of Ingish Avedlogem's masterpieces was destroyed somehow, don't ask me what happened to it.  I don't even know what he lost!  Took him until meal-time to calm down, once he got the chance to admire the dining room.

I'll try to rewrite a summary of what was lost.

Commander Apache's Event Log
Arrival Date: 1st Granite, 1055, Early Spring

Elves come, don't have anything to buy but some berries.

Had Skanky kill a bunch of zombies that were interrupting everyone.

I made Zursuldostob, "Severclearing," an artifact obsidian scepter!  Not worth a whole lot, but I gained status as a legendary stonecrafter with the other dwarves.

Humans come, bought lots of meat, some drink, and stuff.  Oh yeah, bought more anvils.

Ingish lost some masterpiece, and tantrums for a month.  Finally calmed down after eating in the dining hall.

20 or so immigrants came, with various non-useful professions.

Ok, now for newer events.

8th Malachite, 1055, Mid-Summer
Started new journal.  Also began exploratory mining on at the 109 above sea level, nothing found yet.

23rd Malachite, Mid-Summer
Found some native aluminum and shell opal in the shafts!

13th Galena, Late Summer
Whew!  Accidentally started a water pump attached to the brook with water wheels, which promptly began flooding everything near it!  Fortunately, someone got to the lever before it was submerged, much.

14th Galena, Late Summer
Litast Erarducim, one of our weaponsmiths, has been taken by a fey mood!  I hope she makes an incredible sword or something.

21st Galena, Late Summer
Litast Erarducim has created Lularlilar, "Rootpattern," an artifact iron short sword!  It is studded with iron, and has an image of flies on it in alunite.  Not the best image for a great sword, but it'll be sufficient.  Now we can make many masterwork weapons!

Strange, I just noticed the dungeon master's body in the brook.  How did he get in there?

Datan Asenilid is now a legendary champion marksdwarf, hooray!

16th Limestone, Early Autumn
The dwarven caravan arrived today.  When they arrived, we bought a whole lot of meat and plants from them, and some steel armor.

21 Timber, Late Autumn
Someone made a native aluminum idol called Tustemkalan, "The Courteous Trails."  I think it is the most valueable artifact as of yet, worth 99600.

7th Obsidian, Late Winter
Another masterpiece of Ingish Avedlogem's has been destroyed, and I think I've found out what did it!  There was a FIRE SNAKE IN THE ALCOHOL STOCKPILE!!!!!  There were a few piles of loose strawberry wine without barrels, so I think the snake destroyed the masterwork barrels the wine was in.

Must find a cat!

23rd Obsidian, Late Winter
Arrrrggh, Ingish has gone mad!  No more masterpiece barrels or bins until Thob Dodokled finishes his training.

12th Granite, 1056, Early Spring
The elves arrived today; and Atir Emablel, one of the clothiers, locked himself into a workshop.  I bet he's just trying to get away from the elves.

17th Granite, Early Spring
The elves left today, because I offered them a bin of crafts.  Note the 'bin' part.  Seized their plants anyway though.  Atir came out of the workshop today with a cave spider silk shoe he calls 'or Sisal,' "The Drink of Gallows."  It's worth 13600, with rings of alunite, spikes of chestnut, and images of dwarves speaking, and a fox manacing a dwarf.

I'll be leaving this fort now, and expect it to continue to prosper.

End.

*next entry, scribbled out by some peasant keeping notes while waiting for the new ruler*
I heard a loud shout outside today!  It sounded like this: "I am the great titan Spas Umsmatusm!  Prepare for your deaths!"

Notes:
Press F6 to go to the brook power plant, which is attached to an incomplete water pumping system.  If anyone finishes it, it can provide running water closer to the fortress, in case any dwarf ever wants non-stagnant water. Right now if you pull the lever on top of the channel, it'll fill with water, but the second pump isn't hooked up yet, so that's all that happens.  The lever on the ground near the floodgate opens the floodgate to drain the channel out on the ground.

Also started a mining grid on level 109, but I may not have extracted all the found resources.

Chained a cat at the door to the alcohol stockpile, hopefully no more fire snakes get in there.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2008, 05:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Skanky:
<STRONG>Hmm, well looks like I am the first to have a previous leader's dwarf die under my rule.    :(</STRONG>
Apparently not. Blacken and the original owner of my current map are dead on arrival.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2008, 08:41:00 pm »

Moonboots is dead. Unplayable but almost certainly dead. I was doing some mining when I struck hidden fun stuff I had no idea was there. Or to be more precise I struck the nasty chamber hidden inside the hidden fun stuff, which was the first sign I knew it was there. And the demons were to fast for me to wall them off. The framerate's dropped to 4 fps, so I haven't had a chance to actually see the fort slaughtered, by I highly doubt even the 20 dwarf military is going to stand a chance.

Although I will say it ended in an utterly epic manner. A literal slow motion race between a mason racing to build a wall blocking the demons off, and a toad demon racing to stop him.

[ February 21, 2008: Message edited by: Linthar ]

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2008, 06:57:00 am »

Rinulzulban, "Intensebanners", 1055 - 1056
by Skanky Bomrekostar

1st Granite 1055
Report on previous leaders.
Stravitch - Legendary grower, accomplished brewer. Seems ecstatic.
Tap - Gem cutter, skilled mechanic and skilled building designer. Also seems ecstatic.
Phantom - Dead
Blacken - Dead

Speaking of the dead, there are *37* of them on the roll, with 32 of them having been recruits. My first act is to order more coffins to be produced. The dead deserve their rest. The two champion have been ordered to train with crossbows instead of hacking recruits to death with their swords.

7th Granite
Kib the champion was sent out to kill the wolves in the wilderness. She did a good job.

4th Slate
More migrants. Population is now 98. If we happen to find something to milk, we can now expertly milk it and convert the milk to cheese. Until then though, these migrants are all haulers.

1st Hematite.
I have finally built and placed enough coffins to bury all the dead from this fortress. Now it is time to build a pet cemetary. Should lend some ambience to the place. (Completed pet cemetary, with my tomb in the center)

25th Hematite.
The human caravan arrived. Despite a nice path made for them, they decided to attempt to go around the mountain and found their wagon could not fit. Stupid humans! I have asked for more copper as the mayor really likes copper.

26th Hematite.
The mayor has been replaced, and the new mayor like gold items instead. Gah!

3rd Galena.
Our new mayor, Mistem, went on a rampage due to the previous mayors mandate failing. He detroyed a cabinet and then calmed down. Then rampaged again. Then calmed down. Stupid new mayor!

24th Galena.
I have ordered a tame cheetah, a tame jaguar and a tame cow to be chained near the catapaults defending the entrance. People keep giving me weird looks when I ask for this to be done. I am unsure why. Also, I think I have discovered why the military recruits seem to be have been taking such severe losses. Apart from the two champions who were set to train with swords, everyone was ordered to wear plate armor but none was actually provided for them. As soon as Mistem stops tantrauming and authorises the production orders, armour should start being made. Iron is the best we can manage, but we are practically overflowing with the stuff.

26th Galena.
Someone has a sense of humour. As I was passing by the metalwork area, I heard slight creaking noises echoing down it as a cow, chained to the ceiling, swung lazily back and forth, mooing from time to time*. The cow was chained to the ceiling!

3rd Limestone.
Mistem destroyed a coffin which contained the remians of Oddom Aszikel. I think Mistem is going too far, personally. I mean, it wasn't even his mandate that failed.

25th Limestone.
The dwarven caravan arrived. We got some gold and a few other metal bars. I gave them a hefty offering of stonecrafts and goblets, so hopefully next year they will bring more things of value.

22nd Sandstone.
Received 8 new immigrants. Two were planters, 6 became recruits. I also discovered where the liason was hiding - on the other side of a raised drawbridge. I let him in.

5th Opal.
Tragically, our trader Kogan has died of thirst. Apparently all 105 other dwarves that call this place home were "too busy" to give this poor injured dwarf some water! Too busy doing what, I ask. Doing what?
In unrelated news, the "upright spike trap" trap in the entrance hallway is going quite well. I have put every available dwarf to work on it. Linking the spikes to the red "danger" lever is taking quite a long time due to only one mechanic being able to work with it, but the spikes themselves are being installed rapidly.

11th Obsidian.
A hunter also died of thirst. 6 soldiers immediately went and paid their respects... and then looted some of the dead hunters clothing. Waste not want not, I suppose.

And thus ends my year as ruler of Intensebanners. There are 9 legendary skilled civilians and 2 champions. 40 dwarves are dead, but now at least they are buried in coffins. Actually, there are enough free coffins for the entire population to be wiped out and then some. Buying out caravans should not be a problem. The "upright spike trap" trap spikes have almost completed being placed, but only a few of them are linked to the red lever yet. This should be continued if you want to shread goblins for fun and profit. Even without this trap, defences are covered with bridges and walls. Food and drink (especially drink) should not be a problem.

EDIT:
* This line shamelessly stolen from Kagus' post in this thread.

[ February 22, 2008: Message edited by: Skanky ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2008, 07:24:00 am »

*Ahem*

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2008, 08:08:00 am »

What?  

[ February 22, 2008: Message edited by: Skanky ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2008, 08:32:00 am »

That's better.

However, now you've got a duplicate of "chained to the ceiling".

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2008, 08:37:00 am »

Poor moonboots  :(

UltimaPhantom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2008, 08:50:00 am »

Hey, where is my fortress? The one I should play this week. I haven't received it from Firemage yet...

And where is Firemage?

~UltimaPhantom

A HREF="http://techommando.blogspot.com/">http://techommando.blogspot.com/

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by UltimaPhantom:
<STRONG>Hey, where is my fortress? The one I should play this week. I haven't received it from Firemage yet...

And where is Firemage?

~UltimaPhantom</STRONG>

He sent it to you. I have a copy of the email.

With another fortress down, this is getting gnarly, and each of the fortresses is getting to the point where I personally can't play through them at any sort of reasonable speed and neither can a lot of folks.

I'll bash out the scores this weekend, assuming something RL related doesn't jump down my throat again, and we can see where we stand and whether we want to keep going.

I was hoping for this to keep going till break so I could be at home and figure out prize-type things...argh.

"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2008, 05:17:00 pm »

Perhaps we should extend the time to two weeks per fort, because of the slowing FPSs?

Personally, I'm getting 25FPS on my current fortress.

I wonder how RockTomb is doing, haven't seen any maps of it since the second turn.  I picked that map to give a better FPS too, since it has no known magma, chasms, or anything, and is a realatively small site.

Firemage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2008, 05:28:00 pm »

I'm here, and I'm pretty sure, that I've sent the fortress to you. Needed two attempts again, but the second didn't return to me. So I guess it must have reached you.
I've sent the correct mail on tuesday though.

UltimaPhantom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2008, 09:45:00 am »

No, no email for me... Are you sure that you sent it to fippe[dot]wiimail[at]luukku[dot]com?
A HREF="http://techommando.blogspot.com/">http://techommando.blogspot.com/
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11